Triumph Torque Logo

Monday, 17 December 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > No helmet lock?! How should I secure it?
Info
Metro Detroit,MI,
USA

Daytona T595

icon02 Apr 2001 16:13
My previous bikes were all CBR's and had helmet locks, I just bought a 98' T-595 in January and (d'oh!) now realize there is no helmet lock built in. I thought a bicycle lock thru the triple tree, thru helmet would be sufficient, but what does everyone else use, is there a BETTER way?
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Homertrix
Chilly Chilterns,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Tiger Sport

icon02 Apr 2001 16:48
Carry the helmet? I always use a oxford lock that runs through the rear pegs, should do the trick.
-
Julian S
Dallas Texas,
USA

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon02 Apr 2001 18:48
Most aftermarket companies advertise a Helmet lock that you can attach to your rear subframe. Look at http://www.accwhse.com for one.
Hear in Texas we do not leave our helmets locked to hour bikes.
People hear will cut the strap and take it. You do know that you can get a new strap sewn back on a Helmet. I would not leave a $500 Arai
strapped to my bike. I used to live in Detroit and I know that you have just as much crime there as we do in Dallas. Where do you live in D' Town? North west?
-
Larry Dugan
Metro Detroit,MI,
USA

Daytona T595

icon03 Apr 2001 12:10
Lake Orion

Lake Orion, North of Auburn Hills where the Pistons play, spitting distance from Pontiac.
-
Randall Pevin
Washington D.C.,
USA

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

icon03 Apr 2001 14:05
I use a Pacsafe steel net thingy to secure my helmet, bags and leathers to my bike when I'm going to leave it in a fairly safe place for a little while.

It's a steel net that fits in a little pouch and expands into something that looks like a chain link duffel. It's really quite cool. You can get a little one that just holds a helmet but I like the big one because it holds all my gear.

A good pair of snippers would defeat it but I've used one for several years with no trouble.

http://www.pac-safe.com
-
Martin Sweet
Chico, California,
USA

Daytona T595

icon03 Apr 2001 17:17
That's a pretty cool idea!
When my wife and I are on tour, I carry a piece of 1/8" diameter stainless rope (cable to you landlubbers) with a clear vinyl cover on it. I picked up about 20' of it and 2 aluminum swages at Home Depot for something like $3. Formed small loops on either end and "crimped" the swages with a big hammer on the concrete floor.
When we go hiking or whatever, we loop one end through itself and around the bike frame, and then pass it up the sleeves and legs of our Aerostiches, through the chinbars of the helmets, and through the handles on the soft luggage. A small padlock to attach the loose end back to the frame, and we're reasonably secure. The rope coils nicely and can be crammed on top of the tank bag.
-
Brian C
London,
United Kingdom

icon05 Apr 2001 01:05
6ft vinyl coated steel rope with integral lock

This works really well - it naturally curls into a small circular coil that fits nicely under the seat. Loop it through the face openings (ie they would have to break the helmet not just cut off the strap loops) - loop the whole thing around the rear wheel and you're doing pretty well with the bike and the helmet(s). Cheap to at around a tenner at Sears (US) or Halfords (UK).

As it's always under the seat, it comes in handy for camping too..
-
Barry Castle
Dallas, GA,
USA

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon13 Apr 2001 22:29
Motion Pro

Any dealer should be able to get a Motion Pro bolt-on helmet lock. They come in chrome or black, and are made in two types- one for round tubing and one for flat mounting. If you used some sort of tamper proof hardware (like the allen bolts with the pin in the center such as Suzuki uses to attach ignition switches), it should be at least as secure as the original locks on CBRs.
-
Julian S
Dallas Texas,
USA

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon14 Apr 2001 14:22
Security bolts

To make a secure bolt you can also use allen head bolts ( socket head )
then take a ball bearing(B.B) and hammer it into the allen head after it is tightened. Make sure it is tight and where you want it. The only way to remove it is to drill out the bearing.

This can be used for any socket head bolt !!!!!
-
Sam Surges
North Coast, OH,
USA

Daytona T595

icon16 Apr 2001 09:03
Improvise!

I've found that it is possible to lock your helmet while using the passenger seat. What I do is just hook the D-ring on my helmet around the folding bungee arm located on the underside of the seat. It takes a little finesse to do, but works like any other lock. Just make sure you hear that lock click before you go. Of course this is not an option if using the tail cowl. In most cases the safest place for an expensive helmet is with you.
-
Steely
USA North East,
USA

icon22 Sep 2004 23:27
www.barender.com

Check this out, it works and look great. Put it on your bar end and now the triple has a lock!

Check out my pic>

http://www.triumphtorque.com/album/album...
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon23 Sep 2004 18:55
The Biggest padlock & chain you can carry.

Loop it thro the chinbar & one of the wheels. Secures both bike & helmet.
-
Adrian F
Australia

Daytona T595

icon24 Sep 2004 05:27
Note UK owners - leave helmet facing down 84 84 04
-
Rudy
Florida,
USA

Daytona T595

icon23 Dec 2015 02:28
Randall Pevin:
I use a Pacsafe steel net thingy to secure my helmet, bags and leathers to my bike when I'm going to leave it in a fairly safe place for a little while.

It's a steel net that fits in a little pouch and expands into something that looks like a chain link duffel. It's really quite cool. You can get a little one that just holds a helmet but I like the big one because it holds all my gear.

A good pair of snippers would defeat it but I've used one for several years with no trouble.

Is this it:

http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-140l-back...
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon23 Dec 2015 18:00
Julian:
You do know that you can get a new strap sewn back on a Helmet. I would not leave a $500 Arai
strapped to my bike.

Straps aren't attached to helmets by sewing. Arai can fit a new strap to their helmets, but I'm not aware of any other manufacturer offering the service. And if I was an Arai dealer I'd want to see a receipt before I agreed to send off a helmet with a cut strap for replacement - it's pretty obviously stolen or fished out of a bin (we used to cut the straps off any used helmets returned to us in the warranty department before binning the).

I agree that I'd never leave my lid fastened unattended to my bike though. It amazes me that some people do. Given what a decent lid costs, and the fact you may rely on it to save your life it's madness.
-
sprintster1
aberdeenshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon23 Dec 2015 22:09
I've used a £3 bicycle combination lock and wire for almost 20 years now and never had a helmet stolen.Maybe I just frequent nicer places!:smile:
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon23 Dec 2015 22:32
sprintster1:
I've used a £3 bicycle combination lock and wire for almost 20 years now and never had a helmet stolen.Maybe I just frequent nicer places!:smile:

Doesn't mean you haven't had one (for example) kicked or otherwise abused or tampered with while you left it unattended though. I certainly wouldn't ever leave mine attached to my bike and unattended, it's bonkers.
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon24 Dec 2015 07:28
Why would you leave a £600 Arai hanging/laying on bike or the ground, 2 seconds and your visor and side pods are gone that you £100 down right away.
-
sprintster1
aberdeenshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon24 Dec 2015 08:23
McWill:
Why would you leave a £600 Arai hanging/laying on bike or the ground, 2 seconds and your visor and side pods are gone that you £100 down right away.

You lot must live in real s!$%holes or are else paranoid.You might as well say "why leave a £10k bike parked on the street...10 seconds and it's in the back of a van!":lol:
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon24 Dec 2015 18:02
McWill:
Why would you leave a £600 Arai hanging/laying on bike or the ground

Either because you're an idiot, or just don't care about your head. :lol:
-
sprintster1
aberdeenshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon24 Dec 2015 21:52
Chococat:
McWill:

You must be one of those mistaken idiots who believe the slightest knock to the exterior of a helmet renders it useless.Just think about it....if a helmet can't withstand someone kicking it strapped to the side of a bike would you really want to test it headbutting the road at 60mph?
The reason they shouldn't be used after an accident is because your skull crushes the polystyrene inside!
Not that I live in some paranoid world where I think everyone wants to kick my helmet!:lol:
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon24 Dec 2015 22:28
:lol::lol::lol:No I'm one of those idiots that thinks Arai RX7s are works of art and have several colours and just away to buy a TT limited edition before their out of stock.
-
sprintster1
aberdeenshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon24 Dec 2015 22:54
McWill:
:lol::lol::lol:No I'm one of those idiots that thinks Arai RX7s are works of art and have several colours and just away to buy a TT limited edition before their out of stock.

I've never had an Arai...I'm a Shoei man!
I wouldn't know how to steal the side pods even if I wanted to!:thumbup:
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon25 Dec 2015 12:58
sprintster1:
Chococat:
McWill:

You must be one of those mistaken idiots who believe the slightest knock to the exterior of a helmet renders it useless

And you must be one of those idiots who thinks it's sensible to leave a very expensive item that may be relied upon to save his life lying around unattended :lol:
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon25 Dec 2015 18:55
Quote:

You wouldn't want to

Shoei's far superior system doesn't need them:smirk::lol:
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon25 Dec 2015 20:17
Shoei are fine helmets I personally don't like to see the visor mount plates /screws visor ratchet it spoils to look.:beatup:
-
sprintster1
aberdeenshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon25 Dec 2015 21:52
McWill:
Shoei are fine helmets I personally don't like to see the visor mount plates /screws visor ratchet it spoils to look.:beatup:

It might spoil the look but it doesn't cost £100 to replace! I can't see it when I'm wearing it anyway!:lol:
So from this thread we've learned Arai owner's are vain,paranoid fools with their money!:tongueout:
I'm only joking....Merry Christmas and you do whatever you want with your own helmet!:thumbup:
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon25 Dec 2015 22:38
Me vain and an idiot:smile: it would only cost that if you left attached to the bike for some fecker to pinch the visor and pods, probably some people my not know how slip the pods of, the visor is around £55 pods £30. Surely a Shoei visor is not cheap ? Why don't you keep your helmet in your panniers.
-
sprintster1
aberdeenshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon25 Dec 2015 22:58
I do put my helmet in my panniers if I happen to have them on and they're empty but I've never had a visor stolen in over 30 years of biking.
I should maybe point out that I'm typing this from the island of Madeira where I've been riding around on a bike for the last four days in 20c sunshine.The cost of the holiday was about the same as a new Arai lid that some people think they need to replace if they drop it from their seat! Each to there own how they want to spend their money!:thumbup:
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon26 Dec 2015 08:15
CAWT, pissing down here:smile:
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon28 Dec 2015 19:10
Rob BBTB:
Quote:

You wouldn't want to

Shoei's far superior system

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last time I saw something as primitive as Shoei's ratchet visor mechanism it was on a castle portcullis. :lol:

sprintster1:
The cost of the holiday was about the same as a new Arai lid that some people think they need to replace if they drop it from their seat!

If the shell is damaged then yes, you should. But then I wouldn't be stupid enough to put my helmet on my seat :lol:
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon28 Dec 2015 19:57
30 'kin 'ell

3 days :lol::smirk::lol:
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon28 Dec 2015 21:05
Rob BBTB:
30 'kin 'ell

3 days :lol::smirk::lol:

I' ve been busy, only just popped in :lol: :tongueout:
-
Terry Colley
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon28 Dec 2015 22:15
sprintster1:
I'm typing this from the island of Madeira where I've been riding around on a bike for the last four days in 20c sunshine.

20°C - sounds nice. Rode up to Cooranbong Sunday before last (about 150kms north of Sydney)and had 44°C showing on the little thermometer I have attached to the h'bars. Had to close all the vents in the jacket, the air was just too hot.
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon28 Dec 2015 23:04
Terry Colley:
sprintster1:
I'm typing this from the island of Madeira where I've been riding around on a bike for the last four days in 20c sunshine.

20°C - sounds nice. Rode up to Cooranbong Sunday before last (about 150kms north of Sydney)and had 44°C showing on the little thermometer I have attached to the h'bars. Had to close all the vents in the jacket, the air was just too hot.

Not been to Madeira , but been to Menorca the last couple of years, and there's some f!$%ing superb biking roads there (with perfectly smooth tarmac and f!$% all traffic) :thumbup:
-
Hov
Sussex,
United Kingdom

Rocket III Classic (07-09)

icon30 Dec 2015 00:09
Rudy:
Randall Pevin:

Is this it:

http://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-140l-back...

Thats the bag one. They make a smaller one that you lock your helmet inside. Waterproof, prevents visor theft and you can leave your gloves in it too. Mine cost about £60. :thumbup:
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon30 Dec 2015 15:44
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/uni...
-
russ123rocket
Swindon,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon02 Aug 2018 18:37
Hijacked an old thread but still the same question, what's the best way to lock two helmets to a bike whilst me and Swimbo go for a walk, this any good....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKM-Combination...
-
Dicke C
Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (02)

icon13 Aug 2018 11:43
saw this on a facebook site. Cheap and easy.

/media/file/134216.aspx
-
Terry Colley
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon13 Aug 2018 23:59
:thumbup:Neat idea.
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > No helmet lock?! How should I secure it?
-