Thursday, 21 March 2019 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Any London commuters
Info
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint 900

icon05 Feb 2019 20:48
http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a739...

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Or any other city commuters as what happens in London often get's adopted by other large cities.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon05 Feb 2019 21:07
I thought it was being based on age of machines rather than emissions?
The cut off being a date when one of the Euro emissions rulings came in about a dozen years back.

Is this an attempt to get exemption from the charge for machines that met the standard before it became compulsory? - I'd have thought that would be a relatively small group.

Incidentally Historic vehicles are exempt from the charge so if your machine is over 40 years old you can blow as much smoke as you like round the Ultra Low Emissions Zone.

Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

America (02->)

icon05 Feb 2019 21:15
In the 17 years I have owned my bike, it has once been to the centre of London (end of May many years ago and it was 27 deg and I was boiling) Slightly unlikely that I will go back again.

BUT

For those who use the capital a lot there has to be something sensible put in place even allowing for the green planet.
-
Bez
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint 900

icon05 Feb 2019 21:24
I'm not sure, but I think you are right in that it was originally for any bikes older than 10 years.

However I think they are pressing for more leeway on bikes on the grounds that an older bike moving through traffic and reducing congestion is still better that a cleaner engined car sat idling in traffic jams and clogging the roads.
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon05 Feb 2019 21:31
Both my bikes are f!$%ed then - Khan is a c!$%, not that I'd want to go to his crime infested metropolis. Might have to be less tight and splash £12.50 to get to the bike shed.:pirate:
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon05 Feb 2019 21:39
Bez:

However I think they are pressing for more leeway on bikes on the grounds that an older bike moving through traffic and reducing congestion is still better that a cleaner engined car sat idling in traffic jams and clogging the roads.

That is the line that BMF say they are taking. Also pushing the line that old bikes are mostly used by low paid service workers, often those on shifts commuting at times when public transport is not good or not possible. These are the people who simply can not afford £12.50 a shift extra on their commute.
I heard that directly from members of the BMF management team who I get to meet 4 or 5 times a year, most of their members don't hear as much.
It's a shame that the BMF are not getting the word out about what they are doing on our behalf these days.
-
Bez
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint 900

icon05 Feb 2019 21:50
John Nelson:
Bez:

That is the line that BMF say they are taking. Also pushing the line that old bikes are mostly used by low paid service workers, often those on shifts commuting at times when public transport is not good or not possible. These are the people who simply can not afford £12.50 a shift extra on their commute.
I heard that directly from members of the BMF management team who I get to meet 4 or 5 times a year, most of their members don't hear as much.
It's a shame that the BMF are not getting the word out about what they are doing on our behalf these days.

I agree, It 's a shame that both the BMF and MAG seem to struggle to get across to the general riding public the good work they strive to and do achieve on behalf of all motorcyclists.
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon05 Feb 2019 22:37
Bez:
John Nelson:
Bez:

I agree, It 's a shame that both the BMF and MAG seem to struggle to get across to the general riding public the good work they strive to and do achieve on behalf of all motorcyclists.

For over 30 years we've all been saying they should settle their differences and combine forces, they'd form a far stronger lobby that would have real influence. Not knocking what they're trying to do individually but this ULEZ status for bikes should've been sorted by now.
-
Exup
Maesteg, South Wales,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon06 Feb 2019 08:29
Almost bought a 97 Fireblade a fortnight ago for £1500 as the guy had to purchase a bike less than 10yo as it was gonna cost him £12.50 a day. Gutted, I’d already got the bandit the day before!
-
-Rob NMTB -
Worcestershire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon06 Feb 2019 20:00
I haven't seen any actual evidence of the relative outputs from cars / bikes 01

A bike might filter, but many cars switch off, when stationary - so which pollutes the least, in real World conditions ?
-
Bez
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint 900

icon06 Feb 2019 20:53
-Rob NMTB -:
I haven't seen any actual evidence of the relative outputs from cars / bikes 01

A bike might filter, but many cars switch off, when stationary - so which pollutes the least, in real World conditions ?

True, but you also have to take into account that in a large city it is the shear volume of congestion caused by cars stuck in traffic engine running or not, plus the wear and tear on roads is much less from a bike. There is also the parking congestion to consider, you can park about 5 bikes in the space of one average size car.
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon06 Feb 2019 22:06
The London Mayor's office want only walking, cycling and public transport in the centre of the city. To you and I motorcycles are less polluting and less congesting than private cars so we see them as part of the solution but when pressed the mayor's office simply say they are not walking, cycling or public transport.

The current fashionable acronym is TAAS Transport As A Service.
Watch out for that one, it will be coming round more and more. The ongoing push toward self driving cars is targeted at this.
The idea being that individuals will not own or drive cars, they will have an app on their phone which they will use to order up a self driving car when they want to travel. Give them the chance and time will be up for private ownership of cars and bikes.
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon07 Feb 2019 16:38
John Nelson:
The London Mayor's office want only walking, cycling and public transport in the centre of the city. To you and I motorcycles are less polluting and less congesting than private cars so we see them as part of the solution but when pressed the mayor's office simply say they are not walking, cycling or public transport.

The current fashionable acronym is TAAS Transport As A Service.
Watch out for that one, it will be coming round more and more. The ongoing push toward self driving cars is targeted at this.
The idea being that individuals will not own or drive cars, they will have an app on their phone which they will use to order up a self driving car when they want to travel. Give them the chance and time will be up for private ownership of cars and bikes.

Orwellian dystopia comes to mind. They want to control everything, you're right it's coming.:sad:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon07 Feb 2019 18:28
Unfortunately, and I say this as one who still loves driving and riding, this has to happen, and not just in London. The country is absolutely choking itself with vehicles. The big problem is that there is no infrastructure to replace the car/bike which is required due to all the out of town development.
The mistake we make in this country is that they try to run public transport to make a profit, but to be flexible enough to be useful that's never going to happen.
-
Katies Grandad
Snot on the Ouse,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon08 Feb 2019 13:24
Private transport ownership is essential due to years of town planning which has discouraged there being a mix of housing , retail, business and industry . Instead separating everything into different areas. Only the major cities are livable without it and even then it can be time consuming and life limiting. Self driving cars only solve the problem of parking private cars and only that is partial as we will still need a fleet big enough to cope with rush hours which will require storage at quiet times.
I can see light weight electric bikes becoming very popular as commuter tools but its a long time to when, if ever, they become suitable touring machines.
-
Bez
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint 900

icon11 Feb 2019 18:31
Some clarification from the Mayor's office on this is that if your bike is older than 12 years you are going to be hit by the blanket £12.50 per day charge.

As John pointed out the madness of this is that someone driving a brand new super car will be exempt while an old 125cc bike or c90 will pay £62.50 a week for the privilege.

However as reconinsion of this they have agreed that older bikes can get round this by obtaining a 'Certificate of Conformity' from the manufacturer. This basically means if your bike dates from about 2001 onwards it could well be exempt from the charge.

I notice that Oxford has declared it is going to introduce a phased implementation zero emission zone for the city centre from next year, however Southampton and Bath have just abandoned introducing their ULEZ schemes.
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon11 Feb 2019 18:37
Bez:

I notice that Oxford has declared it is going to introduce a phased implementation zero emission zone for the city centre from next year, however Southampton and Bath have just abandoned introducing their ULEZ schemes.

ooops!.......when I bought my car in January the guy next to me was completing the purchase of a BMW Hybrid for £22k as he lived in the centre of Bath......:speechless:
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Any London commuters
-