Thursday, 21 March 2019 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Tornado Jets
Info
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon05 Feb 2019 20:10
Fcuk me I am getting old, I can remember when these were being brought in brand new!.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norf...

ps. Germany not buying the F-35, could opt for the Typhoon or F-18 Super Hornets (like we should have for our aircraft carriers).
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Andrew Lodge
West Yorks,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon05 Feb 2019 20:23
We lived near the end of the runway at RAF Leuchars in 1990, just before they left for the Gulf War they were flying all day and all night training. Incredibly loud even behind triple glazing and great to watch.
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon05 Feb 2019 20:31
Andrew Lodge:
We lived near the end of the runway at RAF Leuchars in 1990, just before they left for the Gulf War they were flying all day and all night training. Incredibly loud even behind triple glazing and great to watch.

My Nans house was on the Flightpath into RAF Brize Norton when the VC10's were based there. Now that was some proper ear splitting noise you don't here these days.
-
Bez
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint 900

icon05 Feb 2019 20:39
russ123rocket:
Andrew Lodge:

My Nans house was on the Flightpath into RAF Brize Norton when the VC10's were based there. Now that was some proper ear splitting noise you don't here these days.

You haven't heard my neighbours daughter learning to play the recorder!
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

America (02->)

icon05 Feb 2019 20:55
I remember them when I was on exercise at RAF Larbruck. We were the Army Engineers for runway repair.

In the mid 80's. Christ just realised nearly 35 f!$%ing years ago. 27 years old then.:blush::lol:
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon05 Feb 2019 21:02
russ123rocket:
Fcuk me I am getting old, I can remember when these were being brought in brand new!.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norf...

ps. Germany not buying the F-35, could opt for the Typhoon or F-18 Super Hornets (like we should have for our aircraft carriers).

Remember when it was the MRCA! - saw it at Farnborough and then it became the Tornado. As a side note, did you know the Hawker Tornado prototype, of 1940, became the Typhoon then Tempest?

An old m8 is currently grieving - he was a Tornado pilot in the first Gulf War; saw him climbing into his front row seat one night on the 9 o'clock news, I nearly fell over!
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon05 Feb 2019 21:14
russ123rocket:

I remember working on the design and qualification of the wheels and brakes for the MRCA as it then was... I wasn't a particularly young stressman then either.:blush:

If we are talking development names of aircraft, who knows what the P1127 became when it went into service?
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

America (02->)

icon05 Feb 2019 21:18
They did look pretty s!$% hot on take off at night while we were there. Actually they had a 18 hole golf course around the airfield and a good 19th hole last stop. It was 9 holes with two different tee's so a 9 1/2 hole stop as well.:lol:
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon05 Feb 2019 21:22
John Nelson:
russ123rocket:

I remember working on the design and qualification of the wheels and brakes for the MRCA as it then was... I wasn't a particularly young stressman then either.:blush:

If we are talking development names of aircraft, who knows what the P1127 became when it went into service?

The Harrier.:thumbup: ( I didn't Google it!)
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon05 Feb 2019 21:27
Stress calculations for the Harrier were still filed as P1127 when I left about 15 years ago.
Occasionally confused new starters...:lol:
-
Bouncy Pete
Bedfordshire,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon05 Feb 2019 21:54
Yeah, but no but, that's nothing.

My primary school was next to Lytham beach. At lunch time I'd see some of the first flights of the MRCA in it's take-off climb out of Warton where they were assembled.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon05 Feb 2019 22:23
Bouncy Pete:

My primary school was next to Lytham beach. At lunch time I'd see some of the first flights of the MRCA in it's take-off climb out of Warton where they were assembled.

Not to mention the Lightenings.
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon05 Feb 2019 22:39
GDCobra:
Bouncy Pete:

Not to mention the Lightenings.

Saw one go supersonic at Bentwaters air show in the early 70s - it dropped us all!:evil:
-
moogster
West Midlands,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon06 Feb 2019 07:42
End of an era! I miss working on em, office working just ain't the same :cry:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon06 Feb 2019 08:29
The Harrier epitomises British ingenuity , and it's a beautiful aircraft .The name is so apt as well . IIRC the last lot made/updated were sold to the USA , we should have kept them for ourselves as realistically we haven't got anything that directly replaces them (unless someone can correct me there ).
-
~Bluelabel~
The Shades, Ongar,,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Thunderbird Sport (98-00)

icon06 Feb 2019 09:08
The only thing that the Harrier lacked was mach1 + capability... it would still be in service otherwise
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon06 Feb 2019 09:23
F-35 now coming into service, finally, for RAF and RN.
-
~Bluelabel~
The Shades, Ongar,,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator

icon06 Feb 2019 09:27
Is that the V/STOL variant Obee..? Or is it the F22 Raptor we have...??
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon06 Feb 2019 12:30
F-35B short take off and vertical landing :thumbup:
-
Andy
Newbury,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (00-01)

icon06 Feb 2019 13:14
There's a lot of 'Orvills' on this thread :smirk::lol::lol:
-
~Bluelabel~
The Shades, Ongar,,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator

icon06 Feb 2019 13:23
Wanted to be a pilot as a lad... still do truth be told.... eyesight, congenital thickness and s!$% at sums.... were my downfall... so I ride a motorbike instead... I think all riders have or have had an inking to be a pilot as a nipper at some point:tongueout::smirk::evil::lol:
-
Earl 2
Powys,
United Kingdom

Tiger 800XC

icon06 Feb 2019 15:30
When I was in the raf I was being trained as the new flight of technicians to work on the typhoon

Almost wish I’d gone through with it lol
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon06 Feb 2019 16:41
Earl 2:
When I was in the raf I was being trained as the new flight of technicians to work on the typhoon

Never knew you was in the RAF Tim, how long for?

Obeewan:
F-35 now coming into service, finally, for RAF and RN.

I saw a vid on U.Tube showing the F-35 carrying out a slow speed rolling landing on HMS QE instead of the old Sea Harrier vertical descent.

This apparently lets them land with unused ordnance and fuel rather than dumping it before they land. Up from 6,000kg to 9,000kg.

The US Marines cannot do this as there helicopter carriers do not have bug enough flight decks.
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon06 Feb 2019 18:12
~Bluelabel~:
Is that the V/STOL variant Obee..? Or is it the F22 Raptor we have...??

Think the RAF and Navy are getting the V/STOL versions for interoperability reasons - I could be wrong!:lol: Also, it saves on cats and traps.:thumbup:
-
Earl 2
Powys,
United Kingdom

Tiger 800XC

icon06 Feb 2019 20:31
russ123rocket:
Earl 2:

Never knew you was in the RAF Tim, how long for?.

Long enough to know it wasn’t for me lol signed up for 9 years left after 9 months lol
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon06 Feb 2019 20:36
I think it may be STO/VL version they are having for the "sitting target" / "huge carrier" (Delete as appropriate) but I'm several years out of touch these days.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon06 Feb 2019 21:54
F35 is STOVL so it can land in a small clearing but can't take off again (unlike Harrier which was VTOL) so really only any good for a carrier.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon07 Feb 2019 09:23
GDCobra:
F35 is STOVL so it can land in a small clearing but can't take off again (unlike Harrier which was VTOL) so really only any good for a carrier.

Basically what I said in the post above . There are 3 variants of the F-35 , A , B, and C

F-35B is the STOVL capable version and the ones the RN have been supplied with , the other two are ;

F-35A CTOL (conventional take off/landing)

F-35C CATOBAR (Catapult Assisted Take Off But Assisted Recovery)

I only know this because there was a programme a few months ago when the new HMS Queen Elizabeth had their first landing of one

Still not as versatile as the Harrier though , as you say GD :thumbup:
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon07 Feb 2019 15:40
GDCobra:

Wrong - it can take off vertically.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon07 Feb 2019 16:39
Obeewan:
GDCobra:

It appears you're right :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW28Mb1Y...
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon07 Feb 2019 21:12
Mach 1:
Obeewan:
GDCobra:

It appears you're right :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW28Mb1Y...

And ill bet just after that video ended it ran out of fuel. It was never intended as a vertical,take off aircraft (it even says STOVL on the tail) and can only do so with the weight pared right down. OK if you've got a refuelling tanker a hundred feet up I suppose, many may not consider practical.

Not exactly pretty either is it. Looks like a horse designed by a committee
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

America (02->)

icon07 Feb 2019 22:30
One hell of a lot smother than I remember the Harrier's did on exercise in the 70's.
There again the only computer control the pilots had was themselves.
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon08 Feb 2019 08:46
I can't bugger off once VTO has been performed can it, just go up and then down. It's capability is "Just for repositioning purposes" and must be done with limited fuel as Cobra said.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon08 Feb 2019 09:49
Sir TT:
I can't bugger off once VTO has been performed can it, just go up and then down. It's capability is "Just for repositioning purposes" and must be done with limited fuel as Cobra said.

At 9 mins on video , it does vertical take off and bugger off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qxdUl2Z...
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon08 Feb 2019 11:30
Mach 1:
Sir TT:

Much like the Harrier, VTO uses the most fuel. It's only deemed necessary under a crisis situation at forward operating bases. Whilst its mission fuel load, and ordinance, is cut short refuelling tankers can then top them up.:thumbup: That incredible F135 engine makes over 50,000lbs of thrust - twice that of the Harrier!30
-
~Bluelabel~
The Shades, Ongar,,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator

icon08 Feb 2019 14:59
Well it does have twice the top speed.. approx 1500mph...:tongueout: the Harrier was subsonic:evil:
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon08 Feb 2019 19:53
Mach 1:
Sir TT:

Ooh, so it does. I'd got bored by then :lol:
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon11 Feb 2019 19:00
A reasonable read for 10 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt...
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Tornado Jets
-