Triumph Torque Logo

Monday, 25 March 2019 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Recession, coming you way...
Info
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon15 Jan 2019 15:28
Anyone else get the feeling that we have another recession heading our way?.

Our economy feels like it is being driven by a housing boom with lots of new estates going up all over the place in Wiltshire & Oxfordshire with ever increasing prices and deposits required.

I work in retail and any business that sells its products through a shop is going through a rough time, this will only worsen as the year goes on and the online retailers, particularly Amazon, are allowed to trade with no guidelines from the government to protect city centres.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
onlinenorbsa2
Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona 1200

icon15 Jan 2019 15:50
In Kent there seem to be intent on getting rid of every bit of grass etc by building loads of housing estates with sky high prices.
-
Freck
Preston, Lancs,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon15 Jan 2019 17:22
1200 new houses being built in our village with no new amenities.
We’ve lost the post office, hardware store and newsagent over the past few years too. It’ll be ok though, we’ve now got 2 hand car wash places. :speechless:
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon15 Jan 2019 17:51
We have a bigger population so need more housing.
Councils need to provide plenty of free or very cheap parking to encourage people to use the High Street, they won't so they are doomed. When the councils lose the High Street cash cows they will be looking to tax something else to make up the shortfall and cut bin collections to every 3 months.
-
-Rob NMTB -
Worcestershire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon15 Jan 2019 18:25
tbh, I use the internet to buy stuff a lot.

I can get exactly what I want, when I want it. The High Street can't provide that service, even allowing for free parking on a bike 01

Many other folk presumably think the same.
-
Hov
Sussex,
United Kingdom

Rocket III Classic (07-09)

icon15 Jan 2019 18:27
A house building boom is not a sign of recession. Having the highest level of employment in history is not a sign of recession. Internet selling destroying highstreets isn’t either.
Don’t panic!:lol:
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon15 Jan 2019 18:43
Hov:
A house building boom is not a sign of recession. Having the highest level of employment in history is not a sign of recession. Internet selling destroying highstreets isn’t either.
Don’t panic!:lol:

:thumbup:
-
-Rob NMTB -
Worcestershire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon15 Jan 2019 18:50
:thumbup::thumbup:

Exactly. Changing your supplier, doesn't mean folk are buying less.
Tho whether those internet sellers are paying the same rate of tax etc might be debateable.
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon15 Jan 2019 19:22
So just knock all those shops down and replace them with even more Amazon warehouses. Jeff Bezos has got a very, very, very, very expensive divorce pending. He's going to need the money.:lol:
-
lord homertrix stand up
derbyshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon15 Jan 2019 20:29
Blame football.
-
Fret
South,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon15 Jan 2019 21:11
I know of several companies that told Amazon to f!$% off as they wanted ALL the business.
Handy for our web outlet as they have tto use them......................through Amazon oddly
-
lord homertrix stand up
derbyshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon15 Jan 2019 23:10
Like I said, blame football :lol:
-
Strongy
Cumbria,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon16 Jan 2019 07:22
-Rob NMTB -:

I can get exactly what I want, when I want it. The High Street can't provide that service, even allowing for free parking on a bike 01

I was in Ambleside last week and went in to Gaynors to buy some new walking shoes, I paid £90 for them which is the going rate. when I got home I looked at Gaynors online shop and the same shoe was £63 .
I rang them up and asked why the difference and the guy said we are basically separate business's and stated they were the cheapest in the Ambleside shops and on the internet.
in fairness to them they took back the ones I bought in the shop and I got them for £63 online.
I think they must be coining it in at their shop as the amount of tourist who will pay through the nose unknowing they are cheaper online must be vast.
lesson learnt for me f*ck the high street buy online :smirk:
-
-Rob NMTB -
Worcestershire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon16 Jan 2019 19:19

I fairness, I don't go to a shop to size up, then order online. Seems a bit unfair.
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon16 Jan 2019 19:41
-Rob NMTB -:

I fairness, I don't go to a shop to size up, then order online. Seems a bit unfair.

Unlike some of us Rob who have athletic figures for you its easy.

Size small, leg length short, pockets deep as possible.....easy :smirk:
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon17 Jan 2019 14:14
russ123rocket:
Anyone else get the feeling that we have another recession heading our way?.

Our economy feels like it is being driven by a housing boom with lots of new estates going up all over the place in Wiltshire & Oxfordshire with ever increasing prices and deposits required.

I work in retail and any business that sells its products through a shop is going through a rough time, this will only worsen as the year goes on and the online retailers, particularly Amazon, are allowed to trade with no guidelines from the government to protect city centres.

It's well overdue. Even the stock market is overvalued as there's nowhere else for punters to get a return on their cash.

Freck:
1200 new houses being built in our village with no new amenities.
We’ve lost the post office, hardware store and newsagent over the past few years too. It’ll be ok though, we’ve now got 2 hand car wash places. :speechless:

Correct. Every Council in the country has a Local Plan which is akin to their bible. All councils are obliged to ensure there is adequate infrastructure in place prior to allowing new housing. Unfortunately this bye-law seems to have gone out of the window as hospital beds are decreasing and the road infrastructure and public transport are all on the decline. The temptation for planning fees and council tax while reducing services is too great.

-Rob NMTB -:

Me too as a preference, as I'm a grumpy f!$% and hate retail shopping with joe public. Trouble is with those business rates being wiped out through shop closures your domestic council tax is more likely to increase to cover the shortfall.

Strongy:
-Rob NMTB -:

I was in Ambleside last week and went in to Gaynors to buy some new walking shoes, I paid £90 for them which is the going rate. when I got home I looked at Gaynors online shop and the same shoe was £63 .
I rang them up and asked why the difference and the guy said we are basically separate business's and stated they were the cheapest in the Ambleside shops and on the internet.
in fairness to them they took back the ones I bought in the shop and I got them for £63 online.
I think they must be coining it in at their shop as the amount of tourist who will pay through the nose unknowing they are cheaper online must be vast.
lesson learnt for me f*ck the high street buy online :smirk:

Absolutely. And you can find what you need sitting in front of a computer rather than fighting your way through the great unwashed.
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon17 Jan 2019 15:15
Quote:

Absolutely. And you can find what you need sitting in front of a computer rather than fighting your way through the great unwashed.

and will it will cure my thoughts of wanting to headbutt every fcucking pleb that I see walking around ASDA as I shop for my weekly beer.....
-
That bloke Nick
Birley edge,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675 SE

icon17 Jan 2019 16:41
Not to mention having to interrupt the conversations of the ignorant f!$%s that they employ in shops these days when you want serving.
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon17 Jan 2019 17:22
russ123rocket:
Quote:

and will it will cure my thoughts of wanting to headbutt every fcucking pleb that I see walking around ASDA as I shop for my weekly beer.....

It was Asda I was thinking about as I wrote that post:lol:

That bloke Nick:
Not to mention having to interrupt the conversations of the ignorant f!$%s that they employ in shops these days when you want serving.

Almost as grumpy a f!$% as me:thumbup:
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon18 Jan 2019 19:31
shop v internet

dustpan and brush

Homebase £14.99
eBay 2.99 free next day delivery
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon03 Feb 2019 19:14
Italy is now the first EU country to go into recession, its only a matter of time before the whole world will be in recession.

This will be stoked up by poor Chinese growth and poor US/Russia relations causing investors to pour money into commodities such as Gold and Oil and stop investing so much in the paper markets.

The EU will blame most of it on Brexit and rising fuel prices from the East.

If I was on TV they would pay me for this insight......
-
Bez
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint 900

icon03 Feb 2019 19:52
-Rob NMTB -:

Exactly. Changing your supplier, doesn't mean folk are buying less.
Tho whether those internet sellers are paying the same rate of tax etc might be debateable.

Debatable would be one way of putting it! An investigation by the Daily Mirror found that Amazon paid less corporation tax over a 20 year period than Marks & Spencers pay in 1 year! Not quite a level playing field by any stretch of the imagination.
-
lord homertrix stand up
derbyshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon03 Feb 2019 22:04
If we leave Europe does that mean as a stronger single country on our own we can tell these companies if they wanna trade here they gotta pay a fare tax rate
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon03 Feb 2019 22:12
lord homertrix stand up:
If we leave Europe does that mean as a stronger single country on our own we can tell these companies if they wanna trade here they gotta pay a fare tax rate

We should but we wont, Amazon & E.Bay have done nothing for the UK but destroy jobs and globalise buying so importers post directly to the uk circumventing any form of jobs in the UK.

I am not sure we can stop it but we should, we will just end up like a scene out of a Sci-fi movie.......District 11 is not performing....
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 Feb 2019 13:19
Just as an aside, Italy officially entered it's 3rd recession in 10 years yesterday, that EU is a good thing, isn't it?
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon07 Feb 2019 15:42
Sir TT:
Just as an aside, Italy officially entered it's 3rd recession in 10 years yesterday, that EU is a good thing, isn't it?

I reminded Tusk, Verhofstad, Juncker and Barnier of that yesterday.:smirk:
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon07 Feb 2019 15:43
Sir TT:

Along with Greece being in an even worse state. Can't remember the figures, but for youth employment it's a joke and with a GP earning £1000 Euros a month it's no wonder we have them over here. They are basically f!$%ed without a way out.
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon07 Feb 2019 15:44
Obeewan:
Sir TT:

I reminded Tusk, Verhofstad, Juncker and Barnier of that yesterday, oh and the little matter of France being so happy too.:smirk:
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon07 Feb 2019 15:44
Obeewan:
Sir TT:

I reminded Tusk, Verhofstad, Juncker and Barnier of that yesterday.:smirk:

Maybe Greece came to Tusk's mind when he mentioned Hell
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Recession, coming you way...
-