Saturday, 23 March 2019 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > watch aficionado's
Info
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon22 Dec 2018 19:37
Bought this as i've promised myself for a long time to get a nice watch. Ive only bought one's up to the value of £500 (and that was a g-shock) and have a small collection of them, but decided to treat myself for being so wonderful to myself :smile:

/media/file/135416.aspx
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
stevethegoolie
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Trident 900

icon22 Dec 2018 19:56
That's tasty, Ian!01
You do right to spoil yourself, life is far too short and your wonderfulness is duly noted!
Anyroadup, it's Christmas. If you can't do it now when can you?:thumbup::grin:
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon22 Dec 2018 20:50
well im not leaving it up to some-one else to do it for me when im dead:smirk:

Have a good'n :thumbup::thumbup:
-
stevethegoolie
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Trident 900

icon22 Dec 2018 21:02
Quite right too!:grin:

And all the best to your good self.:thumbup::drink:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon22 Dec 2018 23:21
Well one has to spoil ones self every now and then.
I like Omega, bit more classy than a blingy Rolex, but mine's a bit different to yours! 1960's Dennison dress watch.

/media/file/135417.aspx
-
Paul Breville-Toastie
Sth London / Surrey,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (09->)

icon23 Dec 2018 09:12
That’s a nice watch. I also like simple, classic style watches. Quite admire Tissot Visodates and Zenith Captains. Something without too many dials and glittery bits.
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon23 Dec 2018 10:18
Cheers. I couldn't wear the bigger watches like Ian's, even if I wanted to, as my wrists are just too skinny! :lol: Mine is just 35mm inc crown.
-
Flappytabs
Derbeeeshire,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon23 Dec 2018 12:14
Nice watch Ian. Seamaster Ocean?

love my seamaster, i never take it off
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon23 Dec 2018 14:24
I do not find it necessary to have an expensive watch on one's wrist when a much cheaper alternative will tell exactly the same time and look just as good as much pricier brands........

(I am not allowed to have one :cry::frown::cry:)

So I make do with this, its big, heavy very blingy and can be used to bludgeon any opponent in a fight, also keeps perfect time and still looks brand new.

https://www.watchxl.com/festina-tour-de-...
-
The real X-man
North Lincolnshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon23 Dec 2018 14:29
Could someone point out what aficionados look like so I can watch them please.......:blush::tongueout:
-
Mustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon23 Dec 2018 14:46
X-man Returns:
Could someone point out what aficionados look like so I can watch them please.......:blush::tongueout:

Channel 4, 9pm :thumbup:
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon23 Dec 2018 15:08
russ123rocket:
I do not find it necessary to have an expensive watch on one's wrist when a much cheaper alternative will tell exactly the same time and look just as good as much pricier brands........

Not quite right, as with many things in life the more you pay the less you get!
Mechanical watches may be a fantastic piece of equipment but are nor accurate and need constant winding or the addition of a separate piece of equipment to to wind it for you.

I have a relatively cheap quartz which is accurate enough to only need correcting twice a year when the hour changes and a battery change every 4 or 5, I've had if 15 years so far.

What kind of fool would I have to be to spend several thousand on a blingy watch I have to correct every few days? Unfortunately the kind of fool which I am as I also have a Tag Heuer. I could have bought a nice bike for what that cost me 5 years ago. I do love it though!
-
Andy
Newbury,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (00-01)

icon23 Dec 2018 15:36
russ123rocket:

(I am not allowed to have one :cry::frown::cry:)

So I make do with this, its big, heavy very blingy and can be used to bludgeon any opponent in a fight, also keeps perfect time and still looks brand new.

Personally I find a watch is only any use if you remember to wear and don't leave it at home. Same applies to yer wallet and mobile phone. :smirk::tongueout:
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon23 Dec 2018 16:15
When the son was moving out of his house it was a bit of a mad rush as he was on manoeuvres with the army so I was the "last man out" of the house and had to drop the keys off at the solicitors for him.

As always, well I do anyway, before leaving I decided to check all the rooms etc for anything left behind. He had one of those 3 story town house popular with the local Swindon chavs so I started at the top and moved down.

All clear, I knew he had sold some furniture to the new tenants so there were a few bits left including the main bed frame. As I walked out the bedroom for some reason I stopped and decided to check under his bed.

2 Breitlings, 1 Omega Seamaster, 1 Hugo Boss and several other watches later I left the house.....FFS he could not organise a piss up in a brewery!.
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon23 Dec 2018 18:09
Stopped wearing a watch 20 years ago as they all seemed to succumb to damage on the farm, fencing or repairing motors.
I do appreciate a quality timepiece though and would never sell my Grandad’s pocket watch. Mappin and Webb. Although I never wear it I do occasionally get it out of the safe to admire it.
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon23 Dec 2018 19:44
Very nice watch indeed Ian, congrats.

Quote:
Mechanical watches may be a fantastic piece of equipment but are nor accurate and need constant winding or the addition of a separate piece of equipment to to wind it for you.

Not if you buy one certified as a Swiss Chronometer
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon23 Dec 2018 21:14
Flappytabs:

Planet ocean :thumbup: do like it. I have a few cheaper watches now, and seem to be going towards solar and mechanical. Got fed up with changing battery's for them to go again months down the line. I know solar are battery but seem to be lasting a bit longer than others i had. Got one of them edifice Bluetooth ones but can not for the life of me get it to connect to the phone.
-
Exup
Maesteg, South Wales,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon24 Dec 2018 00:57
I can't spend good money on a watch as I forget I have it on then start welding in the garage and f!$% up the glass! Wifey did buy me a Diesel bluetooth one last Christmas which is nice and chunky and probably worth 2/3 of f!$% all in relation to your TAG's and Omegas etc. but I like it....until I f!$% it up again!
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon24 Dec 2018 14:10
ian:
Bought this as i've promised myself for a long time to get a nice watch. Ive only bought one's up to the value of £500 (and that was a g-shock) and have a small collection of them, but decided to treat myself for being so wonderful to myself :smile:

/media/file/135416.aspx
I'm not up to speed on Omegas. Does that model have the coaxial escapement..?

If I ever win the Lottery I want one if these.............as a piece of art as much as a way of telling the time.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/two-ea...
-
Freck
Preston, Lancs,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon24 Dec 2018 15:44
Nige:

If I ever win the Lottery I want one if these.............as a piece of art as much as a way of telling the time.

F*#k me! £235k for a second hand watch! :speechless:
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

icon24 Dec 2018 20:38
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon24 Dec 2018 20:59
These are very nice, made in England, yes please....

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watc...
-
Flappytabs
Derbeeeshire,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon25 Dec 2018 08:16
ian:
Flappytabs:

Planet ocean :thumbup: do like it. I have a few cheaper watches now, and seem to be going towards solar and mechanical. Got fed up with changing battery's for them to go again months down the line. I know solar are battery but seem to be lasting a bit longer than others i had. Got one of them edifice Bluetooth ones but can not for the life of me get it to connect to the phone.

not really into the blingy stuff. I like the Seamaster because its maintenance free, looks great (imho) and i never need to take it off.

I have taken it down to 42 metres, the only time i dont wear it is in bed and out on the bike.

If I ever replace it it will be with a Rolex Daytona but i will have to come into money first:thumbup:
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon25 Dec 2018 09:32
I've been collecting 'Christopher Ward' MotorSport Watches - specifically the GP Series ... sadly I cant upload to my Albums anymore ..... but heres an example of just 4 of them ...

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/media/...
-
Flappytabs
Derbeeeshire,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon25 Dec 2018 11:21
ST:
I've been collecting 'Christopher Ward' MotorSport Watches - specifically the GP Series ... sadly I cant upload to my Albums anymore ..... but heres an example of just 4 of them ...

thats a nice collection but a bit too colourful for me. as you know i am dull. :sad:
-
Andy Holmes
Leics.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon25 Dec 2018 12:38
Breitling 2111 from 1969 for me..............Had for my 40th

Recently acquired a Hamilton Ventura Chrono .........that was for my 50th....:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon25 Dec 2018 15:31
Sooo, if you where 40 in 1969...ye doin well :tongueout:

men in black version, i like them
-
Andy Holmes
Leics.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon26 Dec 2018 10:09
/media/file/118097.aspx
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon26 Dec 2018 12:10
Flappytabs:
ST:

thats a nice collection but a bit too colourful for me. as you know i am dull. :sad:

Had no idea you were dull FlabbyTaps !

If you want more Bland, checkout their C7 Motorsport range - or better yet, the Aviators ....
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon27 Dec 2018 10:51
Nige:
ian:

/media/file/135416.aspx
I'm not up to speed on Omegas. Does that model have the coaxial escapement..?

A watch or a house40
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Tiger (07->)

icon27 Dec 2018 11:57
Hmmm.. I wonder how much my old 1969 Timex would be worth now if I still had it ?

if I'm honest I don't think I've worn a watch in 15 Years unless I am off to a wedding/posh do. And that's a 25Year Old Seiko Automatic.
-
---KK---
Essex,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon28 Dec 2018 08:30
Not sure why anyone would want any of the cheap rubbish in the above posts when you could get a Richard Mille Tourbillon - Saphire for a mere £1,356,000. :tongueout::lol:

http://www.richardmille.com/en/collectio...

This is my current watch, about £20 from Decathlon inc heartrate monitor.:thumbup: :grin:

https://i.postimg.cc/sfP29bvr/IMG-201812...
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon28 Dec 2018 09:44
Blimey, and it's bloody hideous. (The RMT Sapphire that is :smile:)

I wear my little Omega as my daily watch unless I'm working when I use my old Timex Indiglow which is bloody brilliant. Can't remember how long I've had it but I've only changed the battery once.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon28 Dec 2018 11:19
Gladtobebackontwowheels:
Blimey, and it's bloody hideous. (The RMT Sapphire that is :smile:)

I wear my little Omega as my daily watch unless I'm working when I use my old Timex Indiglow which is bloody brilliant. Can't remember how long I've had it but I've only changed the battery once.

It makes you realise that some things are only expensive because there is a section of society who do t want to (or have to) buy cheap.

You can take most products and improve them up to a point after which no matter what you do or how much you spend it does not get functionally any better or better looking but there are still plenty of people with more money than sense or taste (footballers and so on) who want to pay more. This is frequently accomplished by adding diamonds and gold. I'm sure there are plenty who'd buy a dog turd if it were gold plated and encrusted in diamonds.
Saw something on TV a while ago about a pushbike which was "better" because the frame was made of (or at least coated with) gold. Now let me think what properties does hold have?
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon28 Dec 2018 20:03
Saw that pushbike as well...gold plated, and some rag head bought it, he even sent his slave butler to buy it for him. Still a cheap pushbike underneath. Watches have always had an attraction to me, the workings on something so small, and especially if made by hand, that takes skill. Then again, i bought a couple of cheap Chinese watches for work, automatic, and kept a really good time, but couldn't bring myself to wear them all the time, so gave them to another lad at work.

---KK---:
Not sure why anyone would want any of the cheap rubbish in the above posts when you could get a Richard Mille Tourbillon - Saphire for a mere £1,356,000. :tongueout::lol:

Love the Sylvester Stallone one:lol:
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon29 Dec 2018 00:24
Quality watches are a bit like women and certain motorbikes - the moment your eye meets them you get that certain frisson but it's when you mount them, and fire them up, you know you can't live without them!:evil:
-
Andy
Newbury,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (00-01)

icon29 Dec 2018 00:27
---KK---:

This is my current watch, about £20 from Decathlon inc heartrate monitor.:thumbup: :grin:

Has it got shockproof glass ?:smirk:

BTW I note there's a three minute difference between the timing of your post and the time shown on the watch, maybe that explains why it only cost £20 ? :lol:
-
---KK---
Essex,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon29 Dec 2018 09:02
The glass hasn't broken so must be. :tongueout:
-
---KK---
Essex,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon29 Dec 2018 18:14
ian:

---KK---:

Love the Sylvester Stallone one:lol:
I felt it was a little bit rocky.
-
Freck
Preston, Lancs,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon30 Dec 2018 00:37
I’ve always loved the Tag Heuer Monaco’s but the missus isn’t for letting me spend that much on a watch. About £400 has been my limit up until now on a Citizen Eco drive Red Arrows watch which is nice anyway.
This is the sort of thing I would like though: /media/file/135427.aspx
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

icon30 Dec 2018 16:47
Baldbloke:
Nige:
A watch or a house40
I'm fine for houses thanks for asking, and I did say it would take a Lottery win for me to buy a Roger Smith watch, unfortunately there is no way I could afford a Daniels even with a Lottery win........ :smile::smile:
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon02 Jan 2019 14:17
Freck:
I’ve always loved the Tag Heuer Monaco’s but the missus isn’t for letting me spend that much on a watch. About £400 has been my limit up until now on a Citizen Eco drive Red Arrows watch which is nice anyway.

Citizen make some great watches, particularly the radio & GPS controlled ones which are extremely accurate, personally I think many look good too and all for reasonable money (compared to others). Santander just brought me one!
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon02 Jan 2019 16:00
Agreed GDCobra - I've got a few .... hard to beat for feature/.function & value for money ...

http://i63.tinypic.com/e5oimr.jpg
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon02 Jan 2019 17:09
ST:
Agreed GDCobra - I've got a few .... hard to beat for feature/.function & value for money ...

http://i63.tinypic.com/e5oimr.jpg

Aye, was looking at a few in local shop before xmas, had a couple in each hand, all nice stuff (at least one was full Titanium), totalled up the prices and realise I could have bought all 4 for what my Tag Heuer cost.

And had nearly a grand change!
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon03 Jan 2019 20:54
Freck:

That's the ugliest thing I've seen for quite some time....:thumbdown:
-
Freck