NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Tipping
Info
The Shades, Ongar,,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Thunderbird Sport (98-00)

icon19 Dec 2018 08:36
Hmmmmm bit of a thorny one...!
Christmas time, do you tip the postie and the bin men....?
I don't.... I even begrudge tipping in restaurants.... I especially hate it when a service charge is included in the price of a meal... Call me a curmudgeon if you like... But my reason being, is that those people are already paid a wage to do a job and that's all that should be required... Yes they are providing a service, but it's a service for which they are already paid...
I never got any tips for doing my job and my job saved lives... So why should people expect extra money for doing simply doing their job....?????
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Krautophile
Hunts & Crawley,
United Kingdom

Street Triple

icon19 Dec 2018 09:16
I do not tip the postie or the bin men. I also ask them to take the service charge off at restaurants, I tip what I believe to be appropriate. If I receive good service then I give a good tip, if not then bugger all.
-
The real X-man
North Lincolnshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon19 Dec 2018 09:21
In the catering trade at least its a throwback to when employees were paid very small wages (I speak from experience) and tips made up a reasonably large proportion of wages. When I left the sector in 1975 I was paid £15 a week for a 45 hour week.My rent for the week was £7 (no living in was started to become the norm but wages were not increased to take that into account) and the staff food was atrocious. So the reality was 33p an hour. And no paid overtime; you just had to do it. The only staff on a decent wage were the higher echelons and they were not on a fortune.

BTW I am not exagerating.
-
That bloke Nick
Birley edge,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675 SE

icon19 Dec 2018 09:40
Why would I tip the c!$%s that leave parcels out in the rain and spread rubbish all over the drive.

The only tip I'd give them is the one on the end of my boots, straight up the jacksey!:frown:
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon19 Dec 2018 10:04
We have bin Nazi's that search the recycling bin every time and throw what they don't like on the drive.
Tip, you've got to be f!$%ing kidding.
-
lord homertrix stand up
derbyshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon19 Dec 2018 10:42
I tip the bin men often and generously, and the folks down at the waste management site.... But that's coz I like to dispose of things. :lol::lol:
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon19 Dec 2018 10:48
I only ever tip in pubs or restaurants after a meal and then £1-£2 per couple.

Only in local pubs as well.
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon19 Dec 2018 11:29
~Bluelabel~:
But my reason being, is that those people are already paid a wage to do a job and that's all that should be required... Yes they are providing a service, but it's a service for which they are already paid...

I never got any tips for doing my job and my job saved lives... So why should people expect extra money for doing simply doing their job....?????

You got a salary. They get a subsistence wage. They do irregular hours, irregular pay. You don't have to tip, but other people can do what they like. I agree that compulsory service charges on the bill are wrong, but it is a minority of places that do it, and you vote with your feet on that one.

As an aside, having waited on tables, worked in restaurants, and run a restaurant and a bar, my advice is if you are going tip, do not add it to your card payment. Pay the bill by card (if you want) but tip in cash straight to the person you are tipping. If it goes on the card payment, you can't guarantee the staff get it, plus from a book-keeping point of view, it is a f!$%ing norze.
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Tiger (07->)

icon19 Dec 2018 11:51
595daytona:

You don't have to tip, but other people can do what they like. I agree that compulsory service charges on the bill are wrong, but it is a minority of places that do it, and you vote with your feet on that one.

I thought you could ask for Service charge to be removed as it's added on after the prices have been advertised.
-
~Bluelabel~
The Shades, Ongar,,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Thunderbird Sport (98-00)

icon19 Dec 2018 11:56
595Daytona:
You got a salary. They get a subsistence wage.

Bin men get a salary, posties get a salary, (bloody good ones too) waitresses are paid regularly, weekly or monthly, I did shifts for 40 years you can't get much more irregular than 5 shift swaps, and 3 different shift patterns in one year...

if they are getting a regular wage, why should they expect tips
-
Ape Hanger Wanker
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon19 Dec 2018 12:29
I will tip the Postie as he's a good bloke who goes the extra mile :thumbup:

The bin men on the other hand can FRO :frown:
-
Nick S
Coffs Harbour,
Australia

Bonneville T100 (09->)

icon19 Dec 2018 20:34
Waitresses & the like will be on minumum wage, so don't have a problem tipping them. Always give it to them personally, those collection bowls on the counter often go into managements pockets & not the staffs either!
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon19 Dec 2018 20:57
Nick S:
Always give it to them personally, those collection bowls on the counter often go into managements pockets & not the staffs either!

I never got involved when I was running one. I left them to sort their own rules out over sharing out tips. If anybody raised the subject, I just said speak to each other, it is f!$% all to do with me.

Except when we were short or some c!$% hadn't turned up, and I often ended up standing in for the dish-pig or kitchen bitch, then I got some of it.:grin:
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon19 Dec 2018 21:04
Tipping is not allowed in these parts, you can get a big fine off the council for it.
Mind you with the "recycling centres" getting increasingly picky about what they take so e times you are forced to. Just make sure you don't leave anything with your name and/or address on it
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon19 Dec 2018 21:19
GDCobra:
Tipping is not allowed in these parts, you can get a big fine off the council for it.
Mind you with the "recycling centres" getting increasingly picky about what they take so e times you are forced to. Just make sure you don't leave anything with your name and/or address on it

It took me right to the last line to cotton on to what you were doing there.... :lol:
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon19 Dec 2018 22:04
Also, tipping is a taxable earnings, so i wouldn't want them to get into any trouble :smile: Its true, recently had my daughter questioning a place she worked at, over tips, and read up on it and was surprised to find that out. Also management can not use tips as a form of wage, also, tips used on cards have to be shared, but being paid by card also shows up, so is traceable. Nephew was on an apprenticeship and his manager pocketed all their tips, but he was afraid of saying anything incase he got kicked off.
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon20 Dec 2018 13:30
X-man Returns:
In the catering trade at least its a throwback to when employees were paid very small wages (I speak from experience) and tips made up a reasonably large proportion of wages. When I left the sector in 1975 I was paid £15 a week for a 45 hour week.My rent for the week was £7 (no living in was started to become the norm but wages were not increased to take that into account) and the staff food was atrocious. So the reality was 33p an hour. And no paid overtime; you just had to do it. The only staff on a decent wage were the higher echelons and they were not on a fortune.

BTW I am not exagerating.

I was on much the same wage in 1975 but got a house/hovel with the job. Later on as a fishing ghillie the wages were minimal for a 37 hour week when 80+ hours were the norm. Guests were expected to make it up through tips, booze, lunches etc, but only if you were worth it.
Do I tip council workers or the postie? Do I f!$%.
For a good meal? Yes if the service charge hasn't been already added.
A local builder or help that wasn't quoted for and hasn't cost me over the top? Always as it helps get them back next time.
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Tipping
-