Thursday, 21 March 2019 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Smart Motorways
Info
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon17 Dec 2018 08:48
Article in the Mail yesterday, MPs calling for the rollout to be halted after a car with a family was rear-ended by a lorry as they were dialling the breakdown services.
I have the M3 close to me which has been upgraded to a smart motorway. Breakdown lane removed and crash barriers erected so there is no way you can get your car out of harm's way. They say to get out of the car using the passenger side door and to stand behind the barrier. Having low 2 seaters there is no way on earth that I will get my snake like hips over the centre console so that I can exit on that side and I wouldn't relish opening the driver's side door with cars flying past.
Recipe for a horrendous crash in the near future, what f!$%wit came up with the smart motorway? When the inevitable deaths occur it would be nice to be able to sue him.

:angry::angry::thumbdown:
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon17 Dec 2018 09:43
Yep, certainly not one of their cleverest moments. The M20 down here is going the same way, f!$%ing madness.
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon17 Dec 2018 09:57
The advice is that there are refuges at intervals on smart motorways and if you can keep going the half mile or whatever then you should try to stop in one of those.

There was a consultation a while back at a hotel near M6 J3 about the proposal to set this up on the Southern part of the M6. I went along and asked what the advice was for motorcycles who had to stop.
Should we tuck the bike up tight to the barrier and try to leave room for vehicles to continue to use the left lane increasing the risk of it being hit by someone who had not seen it? Or should we set it further into the lane and force drivers to take notice and go round it? Drivers in front taking avoiding action is often the first thing a following driver sees.

I was passed from one advisor to another with that question as it came increasingly clear that there was no policy as they had not thought of motorcycles at all.

They certainly seemed to be blissfully unaware of the difficulty of riding a motorcycle with a deflated front tyre the half mile or so to the nearest refuge at a pace that would not get you run down from behind as readily as just stopping on the motorway would.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon17 Dec 2018 14:02
I believe many of these motorways have refuges set at 1.5 miles apart not "just" half a mile.
-
Andy Holmes
Leics.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon17 Dec 2018 16:27
GDCobra:
I believe many of these motorways have refuges set at 1.5 miles apart not "just" half a mile.

1.25 miles on the M6

Was on Jeremy Vine show today that 1 person A WEEK dies on the motorway hard shoulder...............with this info, who thought it would be a good idea to use them as a live lane?????????????

Ass Holes
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon17 Dec 2018 17:44
M3 at rush hour travels at about 35mph, if your engine cuts out, how far can you freewheel?
Not far enough but the Polish Arctic lorry coming up behind you should be able to ram you about 1/4 mile if you are lucky.
-
-Rob NMTB -
Worcestershire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon17 Dec 2018 18:12
There are already hundreds of miles of so called smart motorway in existance, or planned. It'll take something monumental, to stop that now
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon17 Dec 2018 19:18
Andy Holmes:
GDCobra:

1.25 miles on the M6

Was on Jeremy Vine show today that 1 person A WEEK dies on the motorway hard shoulder...............with this info, who thought it would be a good idea to use them as a live lane?????????????

Ass Holes

Aye, I heared a bit of Vine earlier. Radio nearly went through the window (again) when he mentioned running out of fuel as an acceptable reason for using the hard shoulder. That should carry a fine and points IMO.

I had to change a wheel on the hard shoulder once, this was where the M55 comes off the M6 resulting in quite a wide shoulder, it was also 30+ years ago when traffic flow was much less than today (and fewer Polish truckers), and 9 at night. Even so it was a bloody frightening experience.
-
russ123rocket
Swinetown, Wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon17 Dec 2018 19:44
Quote:
Quote:

I had to change a wheel on the hard shoulder once, this was where the M55 comes off the M6 resulting in quite a wide shoulder, it was also 30+ years ago when traffic flow was much less than today (and fewer Polish truckers), and 9 at night. Even so it was a bloody frightening experience.

Had a puncture on the right rear about 2 years ago on the M4, boot full of luggage with 4 adults and a 2 year old at about 11:00pm in the rain.

f!$% changing the tyre, called the AA out, at least you get some lights flashing etc for extra safety.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon17 Dec 2018 19:53
russ123rocket:
Quote:
Quote:

Had a puncture on the right rear about 2 years ago on the M4, boot full of luggage with 4 adults and a 2 year old at about 11:00pm in the rain.

f!$% changing the tyre, called the AA out, at least you get some lights flashing etc for extra safety.

Aye and it's someone else taking the risk (there was an RAC chap killed on the M-way near here recently), don't think I'd do it these days.
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon17 Dec 2018 20:51
I'm sure I heard a representative from one of the recovery companies on the radio saying that they were contemplating not attending on smart motorways due to the risk.
-
stevethegoolie
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Trident 900

icon17 Dec 2018 20:51
Had a blow-out a few years ago running back to base to re-load my 44 tonne artic. Front tyre (steering axle) driver's side. I was doing around 52mph on the M18 northbound between the A1 and the M62 which is a 2 lane section. I JUST managed to get it onto the hard shoulder before it skidded to a halt. The rear of the trailer was only just inside the white line with the rest of the vehicle less than a foot inside the white line i.e. a potentially dangerous situation - one slight wobble from passing traffic and all hell would have broken loose. I could probably have made it slightly further onto the hard shoulder but for one major problem .... the tyre had blown itself apart and taken out the air lines around it, which meant that all the air escaped and the brakes jammed on. I got out quick!!
Highways Agency was informed from a roadside phone and they eventually rolled up. Needed a lane closing off so that the tyre could be replaced and a Mercedes mechanic (the truck was a Mercedes Actros) could replace the air lines. Took a fair while and the ensuing queue of traffic went back for several miles.
I dread to think what would have happened on a (not very) Smart motorway. If you lose your air in a wagon, you stop - no argument and no warning. You are 'dead in the water', end of!
Apart from blocking off the inside lane to allow work to progress, the HA personnel were pretty useless and couldn't see what the fuss was all about and where the danger lay. TW4TS!!
-
Red Monkey
Swinging in a tyre,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon17 Dec 2018 21:15
Having hit debris on the motorway, suffered a blown-out tyre and had to drive on the rim for a mile until I could find somewhere even remotely safe to get out the way of HGVs thundering up behind me...I can say there is nothing ‘smart’ or safe about these motorways. The back of my Volvo is lit-up like a Christmas tree, and still I was nearly rammed as there is no safe haven. I had to dial 999 and request Police assistance due to the danger we were in.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon17 Dec 2018 21:47
And of course no one seems to have factored in the other reason for the hard shoulder, access for the emergency services.
-
stevethegoolie
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Trident 900

icon17 Dec 2018 21:58
Agreed!:thumbup:
-
Obeewan
Eastern Angles,
United Kingdom

Daytona Super III

icon17 Dec 2018 23:40
Our evolution, when it comes to intelligence, often seem inverse to our time, supposedly, spent learning through, trial, error and historically. Whatever f!$%tard came up with this idea should be left to fend for themselves on the hard shoulder in a bust up car during motorway rush hour.:thumbdown:
-
kev55daytona
Gloucestershire,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon25 Dec 2018 21:03
My ZXR750 threw a rod which came thru the crankcase and the oil dropped on the exhaust and caught fire at 70ish in the outside lane of the M1 some 25 years ago - I managed to freewheel across to the hard shoulder and stop. On a so-called Smart motorway I would have been toast.....:angry:
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Smart Motorways
-