Monday, 25 March 2019 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Heated gloves opinions
Info
East Lothian,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon16 Dec 2018 15:29
I'm thinking of the heated grips and decided not to wire in the loom elements to the bike circut. So now its independently powered via a small 12v battery pack to existing gloves with heating elements inserted. Any one combined this tech before?

Im not interested in getting £100+ heated gloves coz I have 3 pairs that stay dry already. But the winter speed chill is insane. Lining with more inner gloves get too tight and actually doesn't fight the chill, but encourages it.

Links for consideration below.

Power pack:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Rechargea...

elements:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Motorcycl...
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
KentGoldings
Mälardalen,
Sweden

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon16 Dec 2018 16:13
Bought a pair of Daytona inner gloves many years ago and they were useless below 10 Celsius. :sad:

But 24 watts might be enough if it is not too cold and if you ride at fairly low speed and wear thick gloves...
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon16 Dec 2018 17:49
I have a pair of heated grips on a Thunderbird powered by the bike battery and work well. Not as well as the heated seats and heater in my car:tongueout:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Dec 2018 18:14
A long time since I've rode in really cold weather , but my advice , if you haven't got them already , is to fit handlebar muffs . I know they look pants but they are the single best way to keep your hands warm , nothing comes close . Overmitts are good aswell , but feel from controls is compromised .
Heated grips make a bit of difference but it's the back of your hands that take the brunt of wind chill and they don't really help in that respect . I personally wouldn't invest too much on them .
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon16 Dec 2018 20:20
Just Buy heated inserts :thumbup:
Or a pair of cheap heated gloves
https://www.themgadgets.com/pages/waterp...
-
jonnycakes
East Lothian,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon17 Dec 2018 21:46
Yeah, maybe riding in the winter is giving a deeper meaning to cold turkey syndrome, I do need the ride. I can use my air-conditioned van when I dont want to use it, but I will go on bike with cold hands anyway. Creature comforts seem to become more mobile I like the look of the price and pitch these elements offer... and I have had a fair few winters riding the freeway through snow. I dunno what it is about this T595 it just seems colder. Im older, i think, but 'she' keeps telling me I'm such a child.

So I have some thick leather waterproof gloves (unlike the ones above for dog walks, thanks j p, but I'll pass). I had the grips on my ol BMW and that was nice. I think they were 24W but took ages to get to the sweet spot of warmth. elements strike me as fast comfort. Under £30 for batteries and elements I'm tempted as hell.

KentGouldings, I tried inner gloves too. silk merino, not powered,but the problem is compressing your hands by adding layers reduces warm blood flow. innit.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon17 Dec 2018 22:08
Don't ride in the winter but do like to get out in the early morning when it's still often quite cold. I have heated grips which is great for keeping palms warm but not so good for the wind chilled reverse side. I wish someone would make gloves which would conduct the heat around from inside to outside.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon18 Dec 2018 08:23
jonnycakes:
Under £30 for batteries and elements I'm tempted as hell.

Elements (I take it you mean handlebar elements) won't keep your hands warm in really cold weather , they are nowhere near as good as proper heated grips . You'll find the left grip will be noticeably colder than the right grip due to the fact that heat is lost through the bar . You can limit the heat loss by wrapping the grip with shrinkwrap but you will probably need a bigger grip i.e. , run throttle grips on both sides as throttle grip has a greater inside diameter .
I still say muffs are the best bet , but even brushguards on enduro/trailie style bikes prevent a degree of wind blast hitting your hands . As for overmitts I used to have belstaff waxed cotton overmitts but it looks like you can't get them anymore ,although you may find old stock somewhere
-
KentGoldings
Mälardalen,
Sweden

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon18 Dec 2018 12:57
jonnycakes:

KentGouldings, I tried inner gloves too. silk merino, not powered,but the problem is compressing your hands by adding layers reduces warm blood flow. innit.

I use these, thin but warm. :thumbup:

https://www.sidenselma.se/en/sidenunders...
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Tiger (07->)

icon18 Dec 2018 14:48
Heated Grips and motocross style handguards. grips warm the hands, handguards keep the wind off.

Works for me. -4 the other morning and although not toasty, hands hadn't got painfully cold like on previous bikes.
-
Fret
South,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon19 Dec 2018 22:35
Heated grips do not work well below about 4C over a distance. Gloves are better. Thinking of muffs, don't care if they look silly, I want warm hands after my 21 mile ride to
work
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Tiger (07->)

icon21 Dec 2018 14:12
Fret:
Heated grips do not work well below about 4C over a distance. Gloves are better. Thinking of muffs, don't care if they look silly, I want warm hands after my 21 mile ride to
work

70 mile round trip isn't a distance ??
-
That bloke Nick
Birley edge,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675 SE

icon21 Dec 2018 15:18
My van has a heated steering wheel.:smile:27
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon21 Dec 2018 15:34
In the really cold weather, I use one of these:

http://mideastradiators.com.au/wp-conten...
:thumbup::lol:
-
Exup
Maesteg, South Wales,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon21 Dec 2018 16:24
:lol:
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Heated gloves opinions
-