Saturday, 26 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > British Cars
Info
North West,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon11 May 2018 19:17
Or at least, cars that we think of as British.

After several years of driving company Mercs and BMWs I switched to a Jag XF about 18 months ago, and then 6 months later we bought a brand new Discovery Sport for family use.

Both cars have competed against eachother for the worst owner experience, but the Disco wins quite convincingly, it would be brilliant if JLR actually built it properly, in less than a year it's spent about 20 weeks back in the dealer, and now they've bought it back from us.

The Jag's problem have been less serious, but still bloody annoying, and the dealers in both cases have been the worst I've ever come across.

So our experiment with buying British, at least for cars, has come to an abrupt end, new 5 series gets delivered next week and we've bought a lightly used Skoda Kodiaq for family use.

What a shame.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon11 May 2018 19:23
Just because they are now owned by Indians doesn't mean they're no longer built by cowboys
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple R

icon11 May 2018 20:30
Jag XF is/was on my maybe list.
The 3.5ltr:thumbup:

Gearbox failures are a major issue, if I'm informed correctly.

I'm probably going to go 3-series again.
Damn shame as the XF is a great looking car:cry::cry:
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon11 May 2018 20:37
A few years ago I went back to night school to do GCSE Maths, as my maths O Level was, at the time, over a quarter of a century old. The teacher turned out to be one of the engineers who worked on the design of the Jaguar XF. He was teaching maths as a hobby (I kid you not. As a hobby).

He was Indian, by the way.
-
red baron
n\w london,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon11 May 2018 21:08
I have 3 LR or RR’s

They are all brilliant :thumbup:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon11 May 2018 21:22
Got a new Seat Ateca 6 months ago, faultless and superb to drive.:thumbup:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon11 May 2018 22:52
Range Rover a fantastic car , but fook me they have some problems . Unless you've got a bottomless pit of money I wouldn't touch one with a s!$%ty stick. Land Rover (Disco) not much better , but if you get in quick and get the chassis rustproofed that'll save problems in the future. I'm talking older ones now mind you TD5 era .

Obee Wan:
Got a new Seat Ateca 6 months ago, faultless and superb to drive.:thumbup:

Seat are just as reliable as VW imo , and can be had for much less wonga , especially 2nd hand :thumbup:
-
mikeg15
N.Ireland,
United Kingdom

Tiger (01-06)

icon11 May 2018 22:53
I once had an E something 6 318i BMW. Never again. Everything kept breaking and it absolutely devoured petrol. Best ever was 25mpg.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon12 May 2018 09:02
BMW certainly aren't averse to problems , vamos units fail on peace on the petrol engine . My mates M5 V10 had the crank let go and it nearly split the engine in half .
In reality there aren't many true british car manufacturers now , all the big british names have been snapped up by different countries , then they dump what they don't want and keep the iconic name .
Have to admit it boils my piss that the UK hasn't got it's own car industry , the government have absolutely no vision for the future and they will let any foreign country plunder our heritage , not just cars btw :angry::angry:
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
TT600 (00-01)

icon12 May 2018 09:07
The best car we've ever had is Shelli's R reg Z3.

In ten years it's had (apart from consumables) a starter motor, a set of discs, a battery, a rear window, and two exhausts.

It's done 170,000 and, although it looks a bit tatty, drives like new.:thumbup:

By the way, she doesn't hang about, she drives like Senna with PMT!:lol:
-
Strat
North West,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon12 May 2018 09:54
Nick:
The best car we've ever had is Shelli's R reg Z3.

In ten years it's had (apart from consumables) a starter motor, a set of discs, a battery, a rear window, and two exhausts.

It's done 170,000 and, although it looks a bit tatty, drives like new.:thumbup:

By the way, she doesn't hang about, she drives like Senna with PMT!:lol:

My last 5 series prior to the XF covered 150,000 miles in 3 years (company car) and nothing went wrong with it all, which is what you'd expect from a new car nowadays, although JLR don't seem to think so.
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon13 May 2018 01:32
And just exactly when we’re Jaguars ever not temperamental ??:speechless:200702
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
America (02->)

icon13 May 2018 07:25
My wife's Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel, no dpf in those days has had one battery plus oil, wipers and filters. Still on original discs and pads after 70k miles in 14 YEARS.
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon13 May 2018 09:12
17yr old Honda Civic Coupe. 1 set front brake pads. 1 battery replaced two days ago just because I thought I should....old battery still operating fine. everything else as left factory.. and in stunning condition57
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon13 May 2018 10:33
A friend has just bought a Jag F-Pace 2 litre diesel auto, I will let you know how it goes with reliability......
-
Gazmo65
East Midlands,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon13 May 2018 10:47
Had an early Rover 75 2.0 v6 bought secondhand when it was 10 years old, I knew who owned the car previously and it was cheap and I didn't have a lot of money, had the 3 timing belts done and waterpump and thermostat housing as these jobs are a real pain , then drove it for 6 years just doing regular oil changes brakes and a rear exhaust box, absolutely fantastic car and very comfortable, economy wasn't great but not to bad either, only let me down once when the cam sensor played up which is a common problem , I already had a replacement which was swapped over in a matter of minutes. Remember this car is based on a BMW loads of parts have the BMW logo printed on them

I now have a 15 year old S Type Jag that I've had for 3 years which is very comfortable and economy for such a large car is great its not screwed together quite as well as the Rover but is a nice environment to be in when driving, the TV doesn't work now because of the swap to digital and the Sat nav is out of date with no recent updates, the gearbox is a ZF6 speed which is supposed to be sealed for life but that's rubbish it needs servicing every 60 70 thousand miles, and that is expensive around £500 a time although I did it myself for £150 but its a ball ache. I believe this car is based on a Lincoln Town car built by Ford, some of the parts carry the Ford branding.

Some Range Rovers have BMW engines and Peugeot engines ZF gearboxes so is anything truely British
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon13 May 2018 10:51
I have a Peugeot van, it has a Ford engine so is it French? 40
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon13 May 2018 12:34
Mini use a PSA engine. As too do Ford, so could be a PSA rather than Ford.

Some VW vans use Mercedes gearboxes.
Renault own Nissan, who own Renault and share parts.

Not to forget that Triumph used the same ECU brain as Kawasaki on the Tiger and Trophy 1200.

Early Hinckley Triumphs used Kawasaki switchgear and electrics.

And the list goes on.
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon13 May 2018 12:37
Fretmeister:
Mini use a PSA engine. As too do Ford, so could be a PSA rather than Ford.
Nope, it has Ford written on it in several places.
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon13 May 2018 12:52
It's a PSA unit, made by Ford in Dagenham.
Joint venture with Ford and Mini as above

Strange how it got put in a Pug though with Ford logos.
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon13 May 2018 13:33
It even has Ford on the cabling, not that it bothers me. .:smile:
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon13 May 2018 13:41
Proper Jag engine, if you're getting more than 8mpg, you're driving it wrong:lol:
/media/file/133975.aspx
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon13 May 2018 14:55
16 years from new Skoda Octavia - only let us down once, for a hour, while the RAC changed a faulty resistor on the alternator. Sold it in perfect working order and then it exploded, allegedly.
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon13 May 2018 15:09
red baron:
I have 3 LR or RR’s

They are all brilliant :thumbup:

The only LR product (I own) as worth rating is my Defender 300tdi and possibly the old style Discovery 3.9 V8:thumbup:

A 5 year old second hand RR Vouge lasted 2 years before being uneconomical to sort.
The present Freelander 2 is also a joke in that the rear axle is made of chocolate and the 4WD Haldex system is a piece of crap. Central locking (or not) is so temperamental it cannot be relied upon. The electrics generally are awful.

I wouldn't take a new LR product as a gift if I couldn't sell it on.

Land Rover should stick to the basics, and stop trying to be too clever.
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon13 May 2018 17:25
The last English car I had was a Morris Marina 1.3 estate car. V reg. 11 or 12 years old at the time
Cost £135 with 6 months T&T.
It was ugly, but it did over 40MPG and I could get my bass, bass rig and the band PA in it

One of the best cars I have owned until I got new ones. Typical old A series lump leaked from the rear engine felt seal, so it used almost as much used engine oil from my local garage as petrol, so I got another complete car for £50.00.which ad a decent spare, good seats that were not beige, new exhaust, new front shocks.
Sold the remains of the car for £30.00

New big ends, rings and guides in the engine for another £50.00.
Swapped the seats and interior.
Exhaust snapped a month or so later, so that paid for itself.
Failed the first MOT from front shocks, so they were replaced too.
Car had now paid for itself.

kept it for 2 1/2 years until the band needed a van, sold it for £150.
-
Gazmo65
East Midlands,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon13 May 2018 20:34
jaguartvr:
Proper Jag engine, if you're getting more than 8mpg, you're driving it wrong:lol:
/media/file/133975.aspx

Brother in law had a v12 sovereign and what a motor that was real luxury, he had to sell it as his missus got pregnant and it was thirsty very thirsty:grin:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon13 May 2018 22:57
jaguartvr:
/media/file/133975.aspx

That IS nice .
Weber 40 downdraughts ?
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
America (02->)

icon14 May 2018 01:38
My most comfortable car was my Renault 25 GTS Auto, more than enough power at the time and so so comfortable.
-
Andy
Newbury,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint RS (00-01)

icon14 May 2018 12:53
Fretmeister:
The last English car I had was a Morris Marina 1.3 estate car. V reg. 11 or 12 years old at the time
It was ugly, but it did over 40MPG and I could get my bass, bass rig and the band PA in it

One of the best cars I have owned until I got new ones. Typical old A series lump leaked from the rear engine felt seal, so it used almost as much used engine oil from my local garage as petrol, so I got another complete car for £50.00.which ad a decent spare, good seats that were not beige, new exhaust, new front shocks.
Sold the remains of the car for £30.00

New big ends, rings and guides in the engine for another £50.00.
Swapped the seats and interior.
Exhaust snapped a month or so later, so that paid for itself.
Failed the first MOT from front shocks, so they were replaced too.
Car had now paid for itself.

kept it for 2 1/2 years until the band needed a van, sold it for £150.

Bit like Triggers brush then :lol:
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint GT

icon14 May 2018 15:26
Fretmeister:
It was ugly, but it did over 40MPG and I could get my bass, bass rig and the band PA in it.

I had a 1.8 TC saloon... went like the clappers. . .

in a straight line... but woe betide me if I decided I wanted to stop or turn corners... then it got interesting.
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon14 May 2018 15:48
Only "British" car I had was a Rover 216 Vanden Plas. Circa 1988.

Lovely comfortable ride and it was well made, 90% Honda, the other 10% was Rover engine that was s!$%, every time I stopped at a junction the engine would hunt between 1-3k revs up and down all the time.

In the end rust had got into the door sills so I sold it for a Toyota Supra 3.0, now that was a nice car!
-
~Bluelabel~
The Shades, Ongar,,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Premier Member
Thunderbird Sport (98-00)

icon14 May 2018 17:38
I had 3 totally British cars.... All Reliant Robins/Kitten great little runabouts if you know their limitations, you could get 4 people in one, or carry a shedload of fishing tackle, did 40 to the gallon actually handled better than they are given credit for.... and you could drive one on a bike licence

bad points... finding an earth for the electrics, gear lever often fell out of the box, & kingpins on the front wheel need replacing from time to time but other than that they were ace
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon14 May 2018 19:10
Gazmo65:
Brother in law had a v12 sovereign and what a motor that was real luxury, he had to sell it as his missus got pregnant and it was thirsty very thirsty:grin:

Is that how she got pregnant, she drank a lot44
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon14 May 2018 19:44
Mach 1:
jaguartvr:
/media/file/133975.aspx

That IS nice .
Weber 40 downdraughts ?

:thumbup:Yep that's what they are.
-
Mustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon14 May 2018 21:13
BINKIE -AKA Woodie:
Fretmeister:
It was ugly, but it did over 40MPG and I could get my bass, bass rig and the band PA in it.

in a straight line... but woe betide me if I decided I wanted to stop or turn corners... then it got interesting.

I had a Marina 1.3 automatic when I was 18 :blush:
Also had a Morris Ital (face lifted Marina) 1.3 van as my first work vehicle. Low ratio rear diff meant it did 80 flat out & I had to drive that bloody thing all over the country for my job :frown:
-
Sir Alan of Ingol
sespit of the north,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon14 May 2018 21:19
Mustapha Dump:
BINKIE -AKA Woodie:
Fretmeister:

I had a Marina 1.3 automatic when I was 18 :blush:
Also had a Morris Ital (face lifted Marina) 1.3 van as my first work vehicle. Low ratio rear diff meant it did 80 flat out & I had to drive that bloody thing all over the country for my job :frown:

when I worked at dutton forshaw we had a new marina van suplied from factory with disk on one side and drum on other side
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon14 May 2018 21:23
Quality.:lol:
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon14 May 2018 21:26
:lol::lol::lol:

My 1.3 went. Not very fast, but it went.
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon14 May 2018 21:28
Now that was a Jag!

https://fabwheelsdigest.blogspot.co.uk/2...
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon15 May 2018 08:32
E type Jag V12. never managed to get one and neither did I manage to to an Aston Martin....Surprisingly I did get a Rover 2.6 SD1 and that was the best British car I ever had. Part exed it for another one and that was the biggest mistake I ever made.

The first one got me and the family from Chesterfield to 30 miles the other side of Edinburgh in just 4 hours (many years ago) in supreme comfort and it was not too bad on fuel either.
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
America (02->)

icon15 May 2018 08:41
Sat in an E Type in the 70's on the way to play cricket. Watching the fuel gauge move over our 20 mile journey on 5 star only petrol.
Btw it was a soft top as well.:thumbup:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon15 May 2018 08:53
british cars were the bread and butter of motoring in the 70's and 80's . By the sounds of it a lot of people owned one or two British cars in that period , my weapons of choice were Ford Capris , strictly not British though , I had a lovely 3000XLR '73 , the v6 engine was a beauty , rust was the Fords big downfall like most other cars of the era .
~Bluelabel~:
I had 3 totally British cars.... All Reliant Robins/Kitten great little runabouts if you know their limitations,

I can't help think of Top Gear when they did an episode on the 3 wheelers , that was hilarious :lol::lol::lol:

russ999rocket:
Only "British" car I had was a Rover 216 Vanden Plas. Circa 1988.

Lovely comfortable ride and it was well made, 90% Honda, the other 10% was Rover engine that was s!$%, every time I stopped at a junction the engine would hunt between 1-3k revs up and down all the time.

Rover K-series engine was actually a pretty good engine , stupid thing was all all you had to do was knock a little ball bearing out of the inlet manifold and you would have no further head gasket problems ( the main issue with them tbh), crazy :frown::frown:
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint GT

icon15 May 2018 09:59
Danny:
My wife's Toyota Yaris 1.4 diesel, no dpf in those days has had one battery plus oil, wipers and filters. Still on original discs and pads after 70k miles in 14 YEARS.

had a 1.0 Petrol Yaris, the most I did to it was replace the timing chain and adjuster as it reached the end of it's adjustment at 130k miles..

I think I may have replaced the pads once on it...

in 10 years...
-
Chris Wolstencroft
Alvechurch Worcs,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon15 May 2018 16:08
Think you’ll find it wasn’t a K series then twas a single cam unit as used in Maestro/Montego
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon15 May 2018 16:34
Ah, happy mammaries - for the most part junk - but there's a couple I cherished !

Austin A70 Atlantic
MG ZA (1938) impressive piece of junk with built-in jacks & adjustable suspension)
Ford Angular
Mini-Van
MGB Roadster in faded red
MGB GT in BRG - great car
Vauxhall Viva Estate - FFS ....
Triumph TR6 (in Canada)
Vauxhall Cresta V6 - Coke Bottle shape - a real hoot at 12 mpg
Rover V8
Triumph Dolomite Sprint in Magenta
Triumph Dolomite Sprint - brand new in 1974 - in White, black vinyl roof - great Car !
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon15 May 2018 18:48
ST, you've been driving since 1938?
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon15 May 2018 18:50
sigh .... your grasp of time isnt that good is it 03
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon15 May 2018 18:55
ST:
sigh .... your grasp of time isnt that good is it 03

That's because I haven't experienced anywhere near as much of it as you. :tongueout:
-
Strat
North West,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon16 May 2018 07:31
Mach 1:
british cars were the bread and butter of motoring in the 70's and 80's . By the sounds of it a lot of people owned one or two British cars in that period , my weapons of choice were Ford Capris , strictly not British though , I had a lovely 3000XLR '73 , the v6 engine was a beauty , rust was the Fords big downfall like most other cars of the era .

I love a 'fast' Ford and back in the day had a couple of Capris, 3.0 and 2.8i, but Escorts were what I really loved and had a mk1 Mexico and 2x mk2 RS2000s ( I thought I was Doyle out of The Professionals ), they're now consigned to that 'cars I wish I'd kept' file, together with an original Audi Quattro.

Still keep an eye out for a decent Mexico or RS, but prices have risen above £20k for a good one, which seems a bit sharp for an Escort!
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 May 2018 08:43
I used to do clubman rallying in a 2.1 escort mk2. Great fun , car was well sorted but had suffered with major dents from it's time competing . 5sp box rose jointed gearstick, bored 2.0l , piper 285 cam , Vernier pulley , twin 45s , world cup x-member and sump , adjustable wishbones , spax adjustables , full width atlas , disc conversion on rear , princess 4 pot brakes , 2.8 vents , and quite a bit more plus the obligatory cage, harnesses, seats , extinguisher system , cut-outs etc .
Those days you could rally on a budget , then all of a sudden you had arseholes with plenty money (£200.000 + on cars) and spending more in one day on tyres and fuel than you spend all year on the whole car . Spoilt the whole thing tbh and ended up you couldn''t compete :sad::sad:
-
  Next Page
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > British Cars
-