Saturday, 26 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Wheel nut tightening
Info
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon01 May 2018 15:29
Bloke in a camper van had a front tyre burst outside my house this afternoon.
Wire from the under tread belt hanging out through the rubber - proper mess.
Any how the wheel had been put on in a tyre bay with a windy wrench and his tool kit spanner was having none of it.
"Have you got a wheel brace this size?" he says showing me a socket.
"I've got a 2 foot breaker bar will fit your socket" I said and went to me shed and fetched it and an old fork stanchion - just in case. 4 out of 5 bolts moved without help from the long tube but one needed it. with the standard roadside kit he had less than no chance!
I don't drive cars myself but I helped out an old guy in a small car with the same problem a couple of years ago, so I guess it's not that unusual.

The question then is do tyre bay operators routinely over tighten wheel nuts or are kit spanners just not fit for purpose?
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon01 May 2018 15:31
The places I use uses a tyre brace then click them up with a torque wrench but t I've. Seen guys Gun them up. A Milwaukee battery gun will shear a 24mm wheel bolt! Cheers
I have no issue with a gun providing they're not hammered up first before checking the torque.
-
the fat controller
Belfast,
United Kingdom

Tiger (01-06)

icon01 May 2018 15:39
having got a camper and having changed a wheel once I can safely say I wont try to do it again, I will ring the AA/RAC and get them to do it as the standard van kit supplied is def not up to the job on the roadside
-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon01 May 2018 15:42
But isn't the point of having a spare, so you can DIY?
-
the fat controller
Belfast,
United Kingdom

Tiger (01-06)

icon01 May 2018 15:48
try raising a 4t motorhome on a scissor jack (made of soft cheese) on soft ground while lowering a spare wheel from underneath and all the while busting your knuckles because of the poor quality of the wheel brace etc:beatup::beatup::beatup:
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon01 May 2018 16:06
Last time I tried it on our motorhome the jack provided collapsed under the strain. Even if you get the vehicle up I would not trust it one iota such is the instability. The mobile phone and recovery service is your new jack.
-
John Nelson
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

icon01 May 2018 16:09
This guy was using a scissor jack - on solid tarmac - and once he had the right wrench changed out the wheel for his spare in just a couple of minutes.
Made the job look very simple.
His spare wheel & tyre was stored in the engine bay, top left, and frankly I think it had been close to the engine heat for way too long.
I looked at the state of the side wall and said as much.
He said he would be buying two tyres not just one.
-
Chris Wolstencroft
Alvechurch Worcs,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon01 May 2018 16:10
I worked for the RAC for 27 years and found standard practice at most Kwik F.. type chains was for them too tighten the nuts with the air wrench and then tourqe. Amazingly the tourqe wrench would click straight away
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon01 May 2018 16:38
Long story, won't bore you, but the tool that came with the BMW car toolkit to loosen off the wheel bolts broke on the first use on the first nut. :frown:
It was clearly made in the same factory as the people who also made the Triumph ones, I suspect owned by Cadburys or Nestle.
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon01 May 2018 16:39
I have a telescopic 1/2 drive breaker bar in all cars. I also have a 2' breaker bar in the garage plus a windy gun.
I always coppasllip the wheel nuts and backs of the wheels.
I also throw away any locking wheel nuts and replace them with standard nuts, if possible fit a plastic cap over 1 wheel nut on each wheel so it looks like a security nut.

Motorhomes and caravans should not be allowed to travel on the road:evil::thumbup:
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon01 May 2018 18:28
----KK----:
Long story, won't bore you, but the tool that came with the BMW car toolkit to loosen off the wheel bolts broke on the first use on the first nut. :frown:
It was clearly made in the same factory as the people who also made the Triumph ones, I suspect owned by Cadburys or Nestle.

Not known as the Bayerische Muhl Wagen for nothing you know.... :evil::evil:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon01 May 2018 18:34
Google translate = Bavarian Muhl Wagon ?? 43

What does Muhl mean?
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon01 May 2018 18:54
Rubbish :evil::lol::lol:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon01 May 2018 18:56
:lol::thumbup:
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon01 May 2018 19:06
Last time I had new tyres on the car, I wouldn't let the fitter near it. Took my own torque wrench. They weren't keen on me using my own jack tho 03
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon02 May 2018 16:28
Rob NMTB:
Last time I had new tyres on the car, I wouldn't let the fitter near it. Took my own torque wrench. They weren't keen on me using my own jack tho 03

30:lol::lol::thumbup:
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint GT

icon02 May 2018 17:24
jaguartvr:
I have a telescopic 1/2 drive breaker bar in all cars.

Me too, best thing I have ever bought. Although like John Nelson I do have an old fork stanchion as extra leverage propped against the work bench

jaguartvr:
Motorhomes and caravans should not be allowed to travel on the road:evil::thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup:
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple R

icon06 May 2018 18:16
Quote:
I always coppasllip the wheel nuts and backs of the wheels.

Good for preventing corrosion, but you will need to reduce the torque setting to compensate. :thumbup:
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Wheel nut tightening
-