Triumph Torque Logo

Thursday, 18 October 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Is it any wonder the insurance industry is hated so?
Info
Brum,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Apr 2018 20:45
Trying to sort out the new bike for when I collect it tomorrow so got a few quotes online as a benchmark. The inevitable rise is expected on a more valuable and newer machine so time to grin and bear it.

It's good to talk though right? So I called a few too. Starting with Bikesure (as redirected from the Adrian Flux website).

Me- "Hello can I have a motorcycle quote please. It's a second hand 2017 BMW S1000XR Sport SE".
Bikesure- "Okay.... tap, tap, tap.......... sooooo that's a BMW 1 series.....?"
Me- " Err, no........ it's a motorcycle" :speechless:
Bikesure- "oh, okay let me transfer you........"
Me- "........ on second thoughts, no thanks, goodbye".

Heard good things about Bemoto, so gave them a shot. I was politely told that all staff were busy and could they take my details and call me back within 25 minutes? So I said yes no problem. That was nearly six hours ago :frown::thumbdown:

Finally got through to Hastings Direct who I'm currently with, after chasing round different numbers and options and getting nowhere :frown:
They talked sense as far as changing the bike goes, but relieved me of £31 for the remainder of the month. I thought well actually that's not too bad really all things considered.
I was transferred to a young lady who then quoted me £972 renewal for the XR.
Me- "Oh my, well that's considerably more than I was expecting. I have other quotes for around the sub £400 mark".
Hastings- "Give me a minute, I'll see what I can do................. the very best I can do is £872 keeping all other details the same".
ME- "It's not all that much better really is it. It's a no brainer on my side" 30
Hastings- "Okay. Well would you like me to cancel the auto renewal?"
Me- "I think you better had" :speechless:

I f!$%ing hate this circus bulls!$% with insurance renewals :angry:
Surprisingly E-bike and MCE seem to be at the sensible end of the spectrum, although it doesn't look like Ebike can be amended online now like it used to be. They were strict online only (except for claims) last time I used them.

Had some cheap quotes on MCN Compare and Compare the Meerkat, but they have ridiculous compulsory excesses and googling the providers doesn't return anything positive.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon09 Apr 2018 21:15
Nelster:
Surprisingly E-bike and MCE seem to be at the sensible end of the spectrum, although it doesn't look like Ebike can be amended online now like it used to be. They were strict online only (except for claims) last time I used them.

This is true and it's a f!$%ing pain in the arse waiting in the queue with a load of mongs trying to get insurance on their S1000XR's :lol:

I've got four bikes insured on my e-bike policy and my R1200GS insured with Bennetts who I would highly recommend :thumbup:
-
Fret
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon09 Apr 2018 21:16
Bikesure were expensive, as were the Triumph recommended one...................which is Bikesure :lol:
Carole Nash didn't even try to do anything really.

Bennetts got it this year. £238.00 with Euro cover, protected NCB, 750 excess, helmet & leathers cover, Legal assistance.
Part of SAGA, so an advantage being 'over 25' for once
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

TT600 (00-01)

icon09 Apr 2018 21:16
Peter James, every time.
-
Fret
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon09 Apr 2018 21:17
Insurance companies, especially brokers, will target certain values, such as age, bike area etc.
As soon as you fall outside that then there is no way that company can compete.
-
onlineFreck
Preston, Lancs,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon09 Apr 2018 21:21
Bennetts have had the best deals for me and the missus for the past few years so they’ve had our business. Still a bunch of robbing cnuts though, just like every insurance company :lol:
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon09 Apr 2018 21:29
MCE are cheap for a reason......they're s!$% when you need them. Tried telling me I had claimed that the bike was alarmed during the quote when it wasn't and they were trying to swerve the FC payout even though it was a traffic incident not a theft.
Had to sweat it for 10 days while they tried to listen to the non existent telephone recording. I had to surrender all my protective clothing if I wanted them to pay out on the leathers and helmet which was restricted to £350 minus my £100 clothing excess (didn't even cover the cost of my lid)!
Had to use their collection agent to carry out the valuation and had to surrender the scrap. Turns out they own 4th dimension salvage and another outfit which allows them to sell complete bikes and salvage on ebay to offset their costs, and their inflated excess saw me paid out £2400 for a £3k bike.
f!$% them, go somewhere else.

I worked out there was around £1800 worth of scrap there, although you wouldn't think it looking at the remains.:lol:

/media/file/133834.aspx
-
Nelster
Brum,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Apr 2018 21:35
Bennetts are in the running too.

I've been with Hasting for the last three years and they were brilliant in every respect when I was hit and the scrambler written off. That's taught me that I'll always spend the extra £20 for the legal cover. I suppose it helps when you a zero fault case too.

Reckon I'll try a couple of local brokers too where I can try and haggle over the desk.

Nice n Fat:

This is true and it's a f!$%ing pain in the arse waiting in the queue with a load of mongs trying to get insurance on their S1000XR's :lol:

c!$% :lol:

The world of BMW is something new to me. I have figured out that my bike should have a dongle to plug in and give it something called "dynamic pro". Makes it go ballistic apparently.
The front wheel went skyward a few times on my demo, and that bike didn't have it plugged in either :evil:
-
TRIP
Dream world.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Apr 2018 21:44
1974 H2B. 2014 S.T . £180 . each fully comp.:thumbup:
-
Nelster
Brum,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Apr 2018 21:53
Who with? :lol:

Exuptoy:
I had to surrender all my protective clothing if I wanted them to pay out on the leathers and helmet which was restricted to £350 minus my £100 clothing excess (didn't even cover the cost of my lid)!

Recovered mine on uninsured losses as part of the legal cover. Helmet was no question (despite no marks on it) and my kevlar jeans which were cut (ankle to just below the waist band) by the paramedics. Everything that I claimed was scuffed and not easily visible by photos, they wanted me to surrender. I didn't bother knowing that I would lose the rest of it and get little back while the TP argued over wear and rear.
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Apr 2018 21:56
1974 H2B. 2014 S.T . £180 . each fully comp.:thumbup:

Who with? :lol:

You might be old, but you ain't that old :smirk::lol:
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon09 Apr 2018 22:00
Nelster :
The world of BMW is something new to me. I have figured out that my bike should have a dongle to plug in and give it something called "dynamic pro". Makes it go ballistic apparently.
The front wheel went skyward a few times on my demo, and that bike didn't have it plugged in either

Yep it's plug & play :thumbup:

The chip/dongle is often found clipped under the rider's seat base ready to be plugged in to the loom. Well it is on the GS/GSA and looks like this :thumbup:

/media/file/133835.aspx
-
TRIP
Dream world.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Apr 2018 22:04
Vauntage .not sure why you put a smiley ?? in.
Unless you’re a dick head.
Come to think about it I met you at scrop fest. And you are.

I can remember when this site was a barrel of laughs. No wonder most of us don’t come on here anymore.09
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon09 Apr 2018 22:50
Nice n Fat:
Nelster :
The front wheel went skyward a few times on my demo, and that bike didn't have it plugged in either

Yep it's plug & play :thumbup:

The chip/dongle is often found clipped under the rider's seat base ready to be plugged in to the loom. Well it is on the GS/GSA and looks like this :thumbup:

/media/file/133835.aspx

Mine came in the wallet with the manual & service book (s1000r), it was supposee to be fitted as part of the first service, but wasn't, I didn't notice for about 6 months (didn't try Dynamic Pro). When I did I fitted it myself and still haven't used Dynamic Pro (why buy a bike with lots of toys then turn them off?) but it's nice to know it's there if I want it.
-
dave
midlands,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon10 Apr 2018 17:13
bennetts
been with then a few years now , the only annoying thing is renewal

this year renewal was £253 , 54 yr old . locked alarmed ,cctv garage , no points
2017 speed triple r

phoned up to pay , cant you do any better i said , hang on a minute , tap tap tap on keyboard
how about £117 ,,,, thanks that will do nicely

why didnt they just send £117 quote first ?
-
onlineFreck
Preston, Lancs,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon10 Apr 2018 20:12
dave:
bennetts
been with then a few years now , the only annoying thing is renewal

this year renewal was £253 , 54 yr old . locked alarmed ,cctv garage , no points
2017 speed triple r

phoned up to pay , cant you do any better i said , hang on a minute , tap tap tap on keyboard
how about £117 ,,,, thanks that will do nicely

why didnt they just send £117 quote first ?

The robbing f!$%ers are just hoping most people will auto renew and they’ll be quids in. :frown:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T309

icon10 Apr 2018 22:23
This happens to us all every year. No surprises really as the insurance industry is cartel of convenience. They have a record of what we've insured and our risk from previous data so try and get away with extortion each year. c!$%s the lot.:thumbdown:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon11 Apr 2018 07:49
Their latest 'let's tuck you up' scam is trying to charge extra as the bike has vinyl wrapping. I've explained countless times that my bike was supplied utterly black and I wanted some brighter areas to make it more visible to other road users to enhance my safety. With that, they take a sharp intake of breath and say they need to discuss this with the underwriters, blah, blah, blah. They then try to give you an inflated quote:frown: Like it's going to be a bigger risk! If anything it should be the opposite. WTF?

Anyhow, this January I did some online quotes and they didn't ask anything about mods and colours so I didn't need to say anything. The premium was £150 full comp on the GSA, half the the renewal price.:thumbup:
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon11 Apr 2018 07:53
I've never been asked what colour my bike is 40
-
Andy
Newbury,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (00-01)

icon11 Apr 2018 12:46
I can't see why they would need to know, DVLA hold details of the vehicle colour on their registration database and my understanding is that DVLA only class it as a colour change if the whole vehicle is wrapped - in which case you need o have informed them.

I'm guessing that the insurers are playing hard and fast here with regard to partial wraps (or decals ) as in the event of a repair they would only want to replace with an original colour panel as per V5C and not incur the additional cost of any supplying matching vinyl - unless of course that is what the excess covers ?
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon11 Apr 2018 14:07
Starting to feel im sorry i went with bemoto, every time i ring i get the same "give us your number and we will ring you back" I have a policy with you, do you not have my details? Just did it again to add a second bike, but i think i will find it cheaper if i do it separate. Changed from mce after 3 years after they decided to up the excess to £1700:thumbdown:
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon11 Apr 2018 15:53
On the subject of Bike insurance do they give any leeway if your insurance has an annual mileage agreement?.

ie if you said 6,000 miles per year and you actually did 7,000 miles would your insurance be invalid?
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon11 Apr 2018 16:41
I think there will be a bit of come and go as long as you inform them, one thing I have discovered over the years if you inform them about accessories or changes their ok.
-
Flappytabs
Derbeeeshire,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon11 Apr 2018 16:58
Nice n Fat:
Nelster:

I've got four bikes insured on my e-bike policy and my R1200GS insured with Bennetts who I would highly recommend :thumbup:

Ive just gone with Bennets who were about £300 cheaper than Carole Nash. the guy on the phone hadnt got a clue about bikes but he was a pleasant enough sort. :thumbup:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon11 Apr 2018 17:40
Nice n Fat:
I've never been asked what colour my bike is 40
You can see the wrap here. Looks far more of an insurance risk doesn't it! :lol:
<-----------------

It's when they ask you has the bike been modified/adapted/changed/ accessorised blah, blah from factory standard and (unless you want to lie) then tell them it has a partial vinyl wrap that it ticks the 'Let's now shaft the customer' box on their PC. Cnuts.
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon11 Apr 2018 17:44
It's the rider who looks the insurance risk! :smile:
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon11 Apr 2018 18:10
russ999rocket:
On the subject of Bike insurance do they give any leeway if your insurance has an annual mileage agreement?.

ie if you said 6,000 miles per year and you actually did 7,000 miles would your insurance be invalid?

I've got 3 bikes insured and CN want a seperate limit for each bike - which is at best, guesswork.
When I asked, they said I need to tell them, if any one goes over the estimate. Having said that, they don't know what the mileage at the start of the year was 02
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon11 Apr 2018 18:23
Rob NMTB:
russ999rocket:

I've got 3 bikes insured and CN want a seperate limit for each bike - which is at best, guesswork.
When I asked, they said I need to tell them, if any one goes over the estimate. Having said that, they don't know what the mileage at the start of the year was 02

Mileage from MOT to MOT?
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon11 Apr 2018 18:31
True, tho they've never asked.
-
ian
from the"mud people",
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon11 Apr 2018 19:12
ian:
Starting to feel im sorry i went with bemoto, every time i ring i get the same "give us your number and we will ring you back" I have a policy with you, do you not have my details? Just did it again to add a second bike, but i think i will find it cheaper if i do it separate. Changed from mce after 3 years after they decided to up the excess to £1700:thumbdown:

Well, someone on here must have had a word, bemoto rang me back, £77 to add to my policy till december when it runs out and thats with mods declared. They might of also got what mood im in today from my tone:tongueout:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon11 Apr 2018 19:31
Exuptoy:
It's the rider who looks the insurance risk! :smile:
/media/file/133834.aspx
Ermmm..........:smirk::tongueout::lol:
-
Fret
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon11 Apr 2018 19:43
Have, Ian.
:thumbup:
-
onlineFreck
Preston, Lancs,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon11 Apr 2018 20:59
Rob NMTB:
russ999rocket:

I’ve been asked for a photo of the odometer reading on the first day of cover, on policies with a mileage limit
-
Fret
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon11 Apr 2018 22:01
I haven't. I have had them for years as well.
Often wondered how they would police it, but if you went over then they are in their rights to make the insurance invalid

Just upped mine from 8000 to 12000 a year and only went up by about £10
-
Fret
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon14 Apr 2018 12:17
Car time now. £240 renewal..............188 online. hmmm
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon14 Apr 2018 22:13
Fretmeister:
I haven't. I have had them for years as well.
Often wondered how they would police it, but if you went over then they are in their rights to make the insurance invalid

Just upped mine from 8000 to 12000 a year and only went up by about £10

The Bemoto guy was on the phone the other week and asked me if I wanted to increase my limited mileage. He said that if the underwriter increased the premium they WOULDN'T pass it on to me! Not many out there like that!
-
Krautophile
Hunts & Crawley,
United Kingdom

Street Triple

icon16 Apr 2018 16:28
I received my renewal through the post this weekend for the RS. :beatup::beatup:

I went on line, got some quotes and what I have saved also paid for the Road Fund Licence for the next year; result :thumbup::thumbup:

I was with Bennets, now I am with Hastings....
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon16 Apr 2018 16:53
Irv:
I was with Bennets, now I am with Hastings....

hopefully an easier Battle ? .... 04
-
Krautophile
Hunts & Crawley,
United Kingdom

Street Triple

icon16 Apr 2018 17:01
:lol::lol: very good...:evil::smirk:
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon16 Apr 2018 17:06
Incidentally, its now thought that the actual Battle wasnt near the Abbey site after all ... Time Team found absolutely zero evidence in the ground (Trenches, Radar, Resisitivity et al ...)
-
Fret
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon16 Apr 2018 21:09
Trenches? Radar It was way before WW1 or WW2
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Is it any wonder the insurance industry is hated so?
-