Triumph Torque Logo

Saturday, 26 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > New Triumphs I've yet to ride and assess...
Info
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon08 Apr 2018 14:45
For when I can no longer get my leg over the Daytona and Mk1 S3.:beatup: Was up at Lings Triumph on Saturday and realised there's so many good bikes in the range I've yet to try.

Saw a 900 scrambler, 800 tiger range, 1200 tiger range, loads of Bonnevilles, Thruxtons, bobbers, Speeds & Streets etc etc and still haven't tried a rocket 3. Only one I've tried recently is the new street triple.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon08 Apr 2018 16:27
It's the Daytona or nothing for me. When the time comes that I can no longer ride it reasonably comfortably I'm done. I imagine the bike will sit in the garage for a good while after too as I'll struggle to let it go. :lol:
-
KentGoldings
Mälardalen,
Sweden

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon08 Apr 2018 18:18
Gladtobebackontwowheels:
It's the Daytona or nothing for me. When the time comes that I can no longer ride it reasonably comfortably I'm done. I imagine the bike will sit in the garage for a good while after too as I'll struggle to let it go. :lol:

My Daytona is a keeper too! :thumbup:

And hopefully in the far future mine will be sitting in the living room! :thumbup:
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon08 Apr 2018 19:17
As much as Ilike the 955s, riding mine reminds me how far things have improved. My 675 Tona will kill it and after owning Gixer 1000's, the Street R and 09 Fireblade you forget how big and cumbersome the old Tona is.
Riding it in isolation or if you've had no other bike for a while it's fab with plenty of grunt and the braking and handling is fine but it's no sportsbike.
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon08 Apr 2018 19:22
Obee Wan:
Was up at Lings Triumph on Saturday and realised there's so many good bikes in the range I've yet to try.
You might try riding the ones you've got rather than gawping at others. :tongueout:
Where were you when Ratboy and I went out on the bikes Saturday?4004
-
Julestools
In my shed somewhere,
United Kingdom

Bonneville T100 (02-08)

icon08 Apr 2018 21:56
KentGoldings :

And hopefully in the far future mine will be sitting in the living room! :thumbup:

I have the Enfield in the living room at the moment..... but that’s only because the T100 is in the sitting room and the Organ donor (Gaytona) is in the hall :blush:

(Using the garage for lambing)
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon08 Apr 2018 22:48
Exuptoy:
As much as Ilike the 955s, riding mine reminds me how far things have improved. My 675 Tona will kill it and after owning Gixer 1000's, the Street R and 09 Fireblade you forget how big and cumbersome the old Tona is.
Riding it in isolation or if you've had no other bike for a while it's fab with plenty of grunt and the braking and handling is fine but it's no sportsbike.

But that's rather missing the point really. We all know the Daytona isn't cutting edge, it never was. It's the whole ownership thing, like owning a classic car. Yes a BMW 1000RR, GSXR, blah, blah will piss all over it in just about every aspect but they're as common as muck. No, I'll take mine any day of the week.
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon08 Apr 2018 23:03
That's not missing the point at all, I acknowledged that riding in isolation proves it's still a great bike but I've been spoilt with my 675 and others. I prefer a lighter bike that's you don't have to muscle around.
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon08 Apr 2018 23:27
----KK----:
Obee Wan:
Was up at Lings Triumph on Saturday and realised there's so many good bikes in the range I've yet to try.
You might try riding the ones you've got rather than gawping at others. :tongueout:

He said he'd let me know if you were venturing out - I'd texted him and it was weather dependant. Never heard from him so assumed you'd cancelled. :sad:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon08 Apr 2018 23:33
But you ARE missing the point. The performance has virtually nothing to do with the pride and enjoyment of ownership. The fulfilment is from the fact that it is:
a: Beautiful
b: 21 years old
c: different
d: British

As I've said before, there's nothing quite like turning up at the local biker cafe amongst all the latest gear and being the only T595 in the carpark. The fact that every last one of them could beat me home means nothing.
Another thing is that I ride the Daytona BECAUSE it isn't the lightest, fastest thing out there, that's how I still have my licence! :grin:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon08 Apr 2018 23:37
Exuptoy:

If honest, probably why I've resisted the urge to test new sports bikes every year, including from the Triumph range. The new Street RS I tried recently was was so advanced and sophisticated compared to my daytona and Mk1, almost too clever. 100bhp and 150bhp are enough for my meagre abilities. Still I'd love a pure track day bike based on the 765 motogp bike.:evil:
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon09 Apr 2018 01:24
GTBBOTW, you're kinda missing MY point tho, I never said for one minute that the 955 Tona is s!$%e or slow or any other derogatory term other than I'd forgotten how long and heavy it is and how far things have come. Getting on my 01 955i after getting it back on the road, it was like stepping back in time which technical it is, even though my 98 R1 was older and it was stil night and day different, better even.

I love the T595 and once I had gotten used to the stretch to the bars and the weird riding position when I had my Black 98 7 or so years back, I was as quick as any of my mates on the road BUT even 170bhp sportsbikes now FEEL tiny and more manageable in comparison. Does that make a the bike s!$%....no, does it make the bike slower from A to B......no, not on the s!$%e roads we get round here, but it does make it different and if you like being different then enjoy it.

I'll still use mine this year more than the 675 to save racking up the mileage but when I get it out, it's gonna feel like a balls out racer in comparison and coming back to the subject Obee's original thread, (well this is TT!) get a few test rides Rich and buy with you're heart.
I took out the 13 S3 and it didn't float my boat as it was no better really than my 02 S3 but the Street R when ridden back to back blew me away. Fast forward 16 months and I couldn't wait to get back on a sport from a naked as for me that's where I live and I keep coming back to it.

The plus point tho is you can find these gems now from around a grand so have the best of both worlds and get a new bike and have an old 955 Tona as a second bike.
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon09 Apr 2018 09:19
CAWT Lynn, must book some test rides this spring. It's bewildering the number of different Triumph models I see on the road now.:thumbup:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon09 Apr 2018 10:23
Obee Wan:
----KK----:
Obee Wan:

He said he'd let me know if you were venturing out - I'd texted him and it was weather dependant. Never heard from him so assumed you'd cancelled. :sad:
Apparently there was a cloud in the sky over East Anglia so we know you'd cry off. :tongueout::lol:
-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon09 Apr 2018 11:33
My Gaytona has about 120 at the back wheel and goes and stops brilliantly. 68k on the clock

I am certainly not going to get into huge debt for a new one. Was thinking about it recently, getting a new one I mean and I came to the conclusion they can keep their toys and I'll keep my cash - f!$% em :thumbup:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon09 Apr 2018 18:21
Tasha:
My Gaytona has about 120 at the back wheel and goes and stops brilliantly. 68k on the clock

I am certainly not going to get into huge debt for a new one. Was thinking about it recently, getting a new one I mean and I came to the conclusion they can keep their toys and I'll keep my cash - f!$% em :thumbup:

Mine's 133bhp at the wheel, which is what yours should be too - like you, it's more than enough for me.:thumbup:

----KK----:
Obee Wan:
----KK----:
Obee Wan:

Apparently there was a cloud in the sky over East Anglia so we know you'd cry off. :tongueout::lol:

You missed a good fry up then, whilst my cloud only appeared briefly at Lings.:smirk::tongueout:
-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon10 Apr 2018 08:15
That's damn good Obee Wan, really good. Maybe I need to sort mine out. When you consider the claimed 200 equates to about 150/170 at the wheel, 130 is very respectable and as you say, more than enough :thumbup:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon10 Apr 2018 11:20
Tasha:
That's damn good Obee Wan, really good. Maybe I need to sort mine out. When you consider the claimed 200 equates to about 150/170 at the wheel, 130 is very respectable and as you say, more than enough :thumbup:

The average loss from crank to back wheel is around them 14-16bhp with a properly set up chain; so my 133bhp is about right for the 147bhp Daytona. You should be getting, at the very minimum 129-130bhp or that would indicate something is not right with your set up. Sounds like you need a custom tune and some dyno time.:thumbup:
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > New Triumphs I've yet to ride and assess...
-