Saturday, 26 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Steak
Info
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon26 Mar 2018 00:44
Everyone I know that has gone to Spain or anywhere across the pond always comment on how much Better the meat is ..
Those of you who have been to the states ..can you tell the difference in the meats??

And Is it possible to get a cut of beef from Europe into the states ....
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon26 Mar 2018 06:28
There are no hormones pumped into our meat!
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
TT600 (00-01)

icon26 Mar 2018 07:16
True. American beef is like eating a chunk of a Team Sky Lycra w!$%er.:speechless:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon26 Mar 2018 09:38
The very best piece of steak I ever ate was Argentinian. Haven't a clue how "clean" it was but it was bloody tasty and tender.
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon26 Mar 2018 09:58
As above. I used to go to Dusseldorf every year for a trade show. We'd go to the same restaurant each year to have a fillet steak accompanied by a jacket potato and sour cream. Best steak I have ever eaten.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon26 Mar 2018 10:19
We buy local (advantage of living in the country) where we can visit the farm at any time and see our beef growing up. They get some injections but no over the top hormones or anything like that and they are happy and cosseted because its only a small herd. It tastes really good but not quite as good as the Dexter we used to get......
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon26 Mar 2018 11:36
On the whole, American beef is corn fed, and European beef is grass fed. Add to that the fact the Europe, especially the UK, had to change a lot of practices in the face of BSE, and that America pumps a s!$% load of steroids into their beef cattle, and I would feel safer eating European cows.
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon26 Mar 2018 12:18
Gladtobebackontwowheels:
The very best piece of steak I ever ate was Argentinian. Haven't a clue how "clean" it was but it was bloody tasty and tender.

In Germany most of the supermarkets (bigger ones) sell argie bargie Steak. In fact I had one last Saturday night.

The Irish have made big inroads into the German supermarket scene, not only with meat products but also dairy products. In fact their T Bone is superb. Well packed in a box with the instructions on it. Even the Yanks are having a go; not sure how successful it is.

When back in the UK I buy my steaks from one of either two sources. The local butcher from a garden centre (I know) or from these people http://www.donaldrussel.com

:smile::smile:
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon26 Mar 2018 13:13
Krautophile:
Gladtobebackontwowheels:

In Germany most of the supermarkets (bigger ones) sell argie bargie Steak. In fact I had one last Saturday night.

The Irish have made big inroads into the German supermarket scene, not only with meat products but also dairy products. In fact their T Bone is superb. Well packed in a box with the instructions on it. Even the Yanks are having a go; not sure how successful it is.

When back in the UK I buy my steaks from one of either two sources. The local butcher from a garden centre (I know) or from these people http://www.donaldrussel.com

:smile::smile:

link To an attorney to get me a decent steak :beatup::lol:
-
Hov
Sussex,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Rocket III Classic (07-09)

icon26 Mar 2018 16:12
Best steak I ever ate was in Florida last year, in a restaurant recommended by my Austrian boss. Ribeye, medium, 20oz. Melted in me gob!
Round here I quite enjoy the 14oz Aberdeen Angus in Wetherspoons on Tuesdays £9.99 with a free pint of beer. But that American steak (costing about 3 times as much) was the bollox.:thumbup:
-
Mustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon26 Mar 2018 16:24
Best ever steak I had was in France.
On the menu they called it "Le Cheval" whatever that means, but it was lovely 2649
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon26 Mar 2018 16:37
I've always found steak in the US to be far nicer than anything I have had in Europe, also far larger and thicker cuts.
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

Premier Member
Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon26 Mar 2018 17:18
Gladtobebackontwowheels:
Has to be clean IMO. They don't have the money to be able to doctor their beef with hormones, etc.
I had the fortune to be working in southern S. America for 9 years where not only could we get Argentinian beef in the supermarkets but also I had to travel regularly to Argentina for work. There is no finer source of quality beef in the world IMHO. :thumbup::thumbup:
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon26 Mar 2018 18:39
The best steak I ever had was at a restaurant in Bondi, near Sydney. I assume it was Aussie beef, but I didn't ask. Best cooked, best presented, and served by a Dutch backpacker waitress with the most fantastic world class tits.
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon26 Mar 2018 18:42
MIL went to Argentina and had steak.
She said it was like trying to eat concrete.

Probably fresh, where ours has rotted for a month or so before hitting the shops
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon26 Mar 2018 18:44
Maybe they knew she was British and actually put concrete in it.
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon26 Mar 2018 18:54
jaguartvr:
I've always found steak in the US to be far nicer than anything I have had in Europe, also far larger and thicker cuts.

So maybe my friends only think the steak was better in Spain ..because they were on vacation :lol:

And so they use meat glue across the pond???
https://delishably.com/food-industry/Mea...
-
Nelster
Brum,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon26 Mar 2018 19:36
I've had big steaks in the USA, and seem mostly ok but better steak can be had at home. Bigger isn't always best. South american is better than north american too imo.
I've had some truly awful s!$% steak in the usa too. Its all about the cooking.
I generally don't like anyone cooking my steak. I cook the best steak, far better than any so called chef :lol:
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

Premier Member
Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon26 Mar 2018 19:38
595daytona:
Maybe they knew she was British and actually put concrete in it.
Probably. I had quite a few run-ins with Argies who still hadn’t forgiven us for the Falklands. Usually “name the time & place and you can have a 2nd dose” was enough to shut them up.

Even in butcher’s shops beef was always sold very “fresh” (i.e. red) because that’s apparently how the customers wanted to see it. I could never figure out why. Even so all the even half-decent restaurants would age their beef themselves before throwing it in the pan. I had some absolutely phenomenal steaks there and TBH never had a bad one.
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon26 Mar 2018 21:35
Hov:
But that American steak (costing about 3 times as much) was the bollox.:thumbup:

Well if it was they were big bollox, and I don't think the cut counts as steak.
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon26 Mar 2018 21:52
If I'm hungry it's t-bone grilled medium rare. The odd week night it's a medium size ribeye. Best flavour I've had in recent years was from a butcher in Lucca - biggest t-bone I've ever seen, 2 fed 5 of us to stuffed!:lol: Still think our local butcher's meat is outstanding quality, matured for 30 days plus, tender, succulent and full of old fashioned flavour.:thumbup:
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon26 Mar 2018 21:59
Best I have ever eaten was in Gdansk in a place called Delmonicocut which was a Wagyu/Kobe beef steakhouse. They did a Porterhouse steak which was over 1200g!!

http://www.delmonicocut.pl/menu/?lang=en

Took this pic there. I wasn't looking at her tits honestly.

/media/file/133787.aspx

I'm the handsome goatee wearer in the checked shirt second from the end. :lol:
The one with no neck alongside uncle fester.:lol:

/media/file/133788.aspx
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon26 Mar 2018 22:18
Your seating arrangement appears to be in order of obesity.
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon26 Mar 2018 22:35
:frown:

Good spot.....ya dick:beatup:
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon27 Mar 2018 07:31
595daytona:
Your seating arrangement appears to be in order of obesity.

:lol::lol::lol::thumbup::thumbup:
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon27 Mar 2018 15:01
Nope, can't see any handsome there at all....maybe you posted wrong photo....??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::tongueout::kiss:
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon27 Mar 2018 15:08
:cry:
Alright you w!$%ers....asked for that I suppose.:lol:
-
norbsa2
Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 1200

icon27 Mar 2018 15:09
best steak i have eaten was japanese Kobe steak.
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon27 Mar 2018 15:27
CAWT :thumbup::thumbup: There is a pub near Bedford that serves it. I must go back there again soon :thumbup:
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon27 Mar 2018 15:37
Used to go to a place in San Jose (yes, I still remember the way) for unbelievable Corn-fed Beef - simply the best, melt-in-the-mouth - and served in a Turf & Surf Combo was all you could eat !

Further north towards SFO was 'Franky, Johnny & Luigi too' - incredible Pizza compared to which UK stuff is complete garbage ...
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
America (02->)

icon27 Mar 2018 16:19
norbsa2:
best steak i have eaten was japanese Kobe steak.

Did that come with a radioactive readout as well.:lol:

All that the above counts on is. How it was cooked and how the individual likes their steak cooked. When the two come together then it is delicious, when either do not it is not and when both don't come together it is the worst steak they have had :lol:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon27 Mar 2018 23:35
ST:
Used to go to a place in San Jose (yes, I still remember the way) for unbelievable Corn-fed Beef - simply the best, melt-in-the-mouth - and served in a Turf & Surf Combo was all you could eat !

Further north towards SFO was 'Franky, Johnny & Luigi too' - incredible Pizza compared to which UK stuff is complete garbage ...

Used to hang around that neck of the woods as a kid on my travels and seeing family based in Carmel.:smile: Great part of the world and, if you know where to look/go/local knowledge, the food can be as good as it gets.:thumbup: As you say, proper pizza can be sublime.26

Danny:

All that the above counts on is. How it was cooked and how the individual likes their steak cooked. When the two come together then it is delicious, when either do not it is not and when both don't come together it is the worst steak they have had :lol:

Always pray the chef heeds the waiters instructions as to how I like my steak delivered, medium rare.:smirk: It's a simple enough, since any half decent cook can replicate at home, test to cook steak properly and if you can't, and you're a professional chef, then you shouldn't be anywhere near a kitchen.:speechless:
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon28 Mar 2018 09:23
I must say I prefer my steak saignant; as long as it is cooked correctly.
-
Fruity
West London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint GT

icon28 Mar 2018 12:44
Best bit of steak I have is pure English, medium & very succulent :tongueout: :blush:
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon28 Mar 2018 13:59
:lol::lol::lol: we're talking about the meat from a bovine here Fruity, not blokes 2727:evil::evil:
-
Fruity
West London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint GT

icon28 Mar 2018 14:22
It’s a bit bovine at times :tongueout:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon28 Mar 2018 14:46
Fruity:

Think you'll find that's boner Froots.:lol::tongueout:
-
Fruity
West London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint GT

icon28 Mar 2018 15:31
Obee Wan:
Fruity:

But I didn’t think there was a bone in it :sad: that’ll be a T Bone Steak :evil:
-
Henpecked
Gtr Manchester,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint ST (05->)

icon28 Mar 2018 20:20
Fruity:
Obee Wan:
Fruity:

But I didn’t think there was a bone in it :sad: that’ll be a T Bone Steak :evil:
##

Pull the udder one
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Steak
-