Triumph Torque Logo

Thursday, 24 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Is there no depths the government will not stoop!
Info
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon15 Mar 2018 22:10
The w!$%ers are going to try and charge tax on ebay sellers now!!!! Like people don't pay enough fees to ebay directly already!!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/news/hmr...
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Mustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon15 Mar 2018 22:29
That'll just spell the end of Ebay I reckon...
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon15 Mar 2018 23:13
Silver lining and all that!:lol:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon16 Mar 2018 07:41
To be fair they are not talking about the vast majority of us who simply sell a few bits now and again. They are after the folks who are running businesses through E-Bay and the likes and they should be paying tax on their income the same as the rest of us do.
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon16 Mar 2018 07:45
Gladtobebackontwowheels:
To be fair they are not talking about the vast majority of us who simply sell a few bits now and again. They are after the folks who are running businesses through E-Bay and the likes and they should be paying tax on their income the same as the rest of us do.

PTB won't be happy!

/media/file/129772.aspx
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 675

icon16 Mar 2018 09:09
Fair comment Rich but I have sold £460 worth recently after having a sort out of the s!$% in the garage. Most of which I purchased in the first place from eBay or forums to replaced on various bikes. Stuff like a Cush drive after relieving it of the Renthal rear sprocket.
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Mar 2018 09:20
They're only after people who are using e-bay like a business but who are not paying their taxes :thumbup:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Mar 2018 09:26
Gladtobebackontwowheels:

+1:thumbup:
I can't see it being aimed at the average punter .

Exuptoy:
Fair comment Rich but I have sold £460 worth recently after having a sort out of the s!$% in the garage. Most of which I purchased in the first place from eBay or forums to replaced on various bikes. Stuff like a Cush drive after relieving it of the Renthal rear sprocket.

It's not going to affect you in that respect . They would be opening a can of worms by taxing everyone for all goods , especially second hand . For instance , if you bought something a couple of years ago and sold it now at a loss then you potentially would be liable to a tax rebate from any tax you had paid from other earnings .
HMRC aren't going to like that
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Mar 2018 09:50
Mach 1 :
It's not going to affect you in that respect . They would be opening a can of worms by taxing everyone for all goods , especially second hand . For instance , if you bought something a couple of years ago and sold it now at a loss then you potentially would be liable to a tax rebate from any tax you had paid from other earnings .
HMRC aren't going to like that

Now that would be funny :lol:
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon16 Mar 2018 10:36
:lol:

I could make a fortune, the losses I've made buying any old sh*te off e-bay:lol:
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon16 Mar 2018 11:22
Not so good:thumbdown:

"When is a hobby actually a business?
You might think that selling second-hand items and crafts online is a hobby, but the taxman will class you as a business if it can prove you are doing “anything in the nature of trade”.

If you collect items and resell them in a short period of time, or sell home-made crafts online, you could be classed as a business."
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Mar 2018 18:05
Rob NMTB:
:lol:

I could make a fortune, the losses I've made buying any old sh*te off e-bay:lol:

:lol::lol:
Me too :thumbup:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon16 Mar 2018 19:34
Baldbloke:
Not so good:thumbdown:

"When is a hobby actually a business?
You might think that selling second-hand items and crafts online is a hobby, but the taxman will class you as a business if it can prove you are doing “anything in the nature of trade”.

If you collect items and resell them in a short period of time, or sell home-made crafts online, you could be classed as a business."

If you do it regularly and continually, (and earn more than £2000 a year), then I'd say you should be.
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Is there no depths the government will not stoop!
-