Thursday, 18 October 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Public liability insurance
Info
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon12 Mar 2018 16:46
I have household insurance which includes PLI, but wonder if this would cover me if I were to have an accident (giving someone the chance of claiming from me) dropping trees for firewood off my property, or helping out someone off my property?
Where I was once a bit cavalier about these things I'm a lot more careful nowadays.

I see that you can buy separate Public Liability Insurance but this seems to apply only to business operators rather than a punter doing things for himself, ie cutting firewood with permission, or helping out a friend (without payment)with a mini digger etc.

This especially relevant after a certain provider actually covering me to the tune of £57k following a contractual dispute.

Your thoughts as ever please:thumbup:
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon12 Mar 2018 16:59
I'd speak to your insurers for confirmation, but I would be very surprised if the cover automatically included in your Household Policy didn't in fact cover you for the kind of thing you're thinking of :thumbup:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon12 Mar 2018 17:38
I think you would be covered on your own land but I can't imagine they'd cover you working elsewhere.
-
Henpecked
Gtr Manchester,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon12 Mar 2018 18:16
Gladtobebackontwowheels:
I think you would be covered on your own land but I can't imagine they'd cover you working elsewhere.

Seconded, the more they can make the insurance sound attractive but actually restrict you the more they'll do it.

Would possibly cover you if someone was cutting wood on your land for you and got injured but not you elsewhere.
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon12 Mar 2018 20:30
Gladtobebackontwowheels:

That's what I was concerned about. There doesn't seem to be any accurate guidance on the matter and I'm reluctant to open a can of worms by giving them an excuse to up the premium if it isn't necessary.

However, although woodcutting is hard work, it's for my own use so not for monetary gain as such. But money saving definitely.

Guess I'll need to do what Paul suggested:thumbup:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon12 Mar 2018 22:45
I'd say if you want to be covered wherever you are carrying out operations you would need a dedicated Public liability policy but your insurer will confirm the situation as Paul says.
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Public liability insurance
-