Saturday, 26 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Traction Control
Info
Snot on the Ouse,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon03 Mar 2018 15:50
Went out last night in some pretty tricky conditions. Certainly the first time I've had a car with TC and ABS in such conditions. To be honest I found it a PITA as I couldn't get the car to do what I wanted. There was so little grip and the TC was trying to stop the wheels spinning, so it was hard to get it to go anywhere that was even slightly up hill and the ABS just vibrated like mad but couldn't stop it sliding. It would have been much easier without either.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon03 Mar 2018 16:16
That's why they have a button to turn the bugger off /media/file/68296.aspx

TC & ABS are for the hard of thinking which sadly is the majority of the UK's driving population :speechless:
-
Grumpy
dunstable,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon03 Mar 2018 16:51
Have any cars made in the last 25 years not had abs ?
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon03 Mar 2018 18:11
Audi's used to have a button to turn the ABS off as a car can stop quicker in snow with the wheels skidding than with ABS pulsing
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon03 Mar 2018 18:16
Katies Grandad:
Went out last night in some pretty tricky conditions. Certainly the first time I've had a car with TC and ABS in such conditions. To be honest I found it a PITA as I couldn't get the car to do what I wanted. There was so little grip and the TC was trying to stop the wheels spinning, so it was hard to get it to go anywhere that was even slightly up hill and the ABS just vibrated like mad but couldn't stop it sliding. It would have been much easier without either.

I've always found the TC and ABS beneficial on the VW Transporter tbh . Although if they are coming on all the time the conditions are really bad , or in the case of ABS , I would have to be braking really hard for it to come on .
I may be wrong here but without them you might have found the vehicle wouldn't be sliding all over when either braking or accelerating a lot more than with them :thumbup:
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon03 Mar 2018 18:17
Sir TT:
Audi's used to have a button to turn the ABS off as a car can stop quicker in snow with the wheels skidding than with ABS pulsing

That's right :thumbup:

The theory being was that you can build up a bank of snow in front of the car when the wheels lock :speechless:
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon03 Mar 2018 18:45
If your wheels are spinning or sliding it's because your tyres don't have enough grip. ABS & TC don't make your wheels spin/slide do they?
The main issue is that modern tyre reduce grip very quickly as temperature drops, even at about 5 degrees I could feel the camber thrusts fighting each other on my last car, it also seems like the more expensive the tyre the worse this is, the old jalopy I have now with its cheap and cheerful tyres on seems to have managed very well this week
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon03 Mar 2018 18:46
...."winter tyres" :evil::evil:
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple R

icon03 Mar 2018 18:52
Honestly,
If your blaming the "drivers aids", then you were not driving correctly in the first place.

Snow is a f!$%er to drive in.
Once the tyre treads are full of frozen snow, there's not a lot of extra help out there.
Just slow down and use the engine!

Anyway, normal service will be resumed soon :lol:
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon03 Mar 2018 18:54
Krautophile:

Maybe , but it's a lot of expense (and trouble with storage) for the handful of days they'd be useful for the UK. Mine are just a decent brand of bog spec' tyres rather than the high performance type, OK, they probably don't offer as much grip in the summer (another handful of days a year in the UK) but offer more than adequate performance all year round for me..
-
Krautophile
Dresden & Hunts,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple

icon03 Mar 2018 18:59
...designed to work better under 8 degrees....
-
ChazzyB
Surrey,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon03 Mar 2018 19:10
The tyres on my car are s!$% when the temperature is below 8c even on dry roads.
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon03 Mar 2018 19:37
Grumpy:
Have any cars made in the last 25 years not had abs ?

Yeah, mine 03
No TC either

And it's fc*kin' great in the snow:lol:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon03 Mar 2018 19:52
But who wants a midget's car.......PtB excluded. :tongueout:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon03 Mar 2018 19:54
Krautophile:

definitely , tyres , tyres , tyres :thumbup:

The best 4x4 is useless if the tyres are crap . A 2-wheel drive with good tyres for the condition will be better . You can run winter tyres all year but you'll wear them out quickly in the hotter weather . IMO , I would say to anyone invest in a pair (for 2 wheel drive ) and you have the comfort of knowing they are there if getting around is important to you :thumbup:
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon04 Mar 2018 09:57
Parked the B'ingo on the Grossglockner in about 2-3" of snow in October. It sank and I couldn't move with the TC on as it was banging away.
By the time I turned it off a ramp had built up and I had to dig it out.
Didn't matter whether the TC was on or off, it still wouldn't move.

Had to turn it off to drag it out though.

As an aside, it is amazing how much the TC light bangs away in cold and snow. Makes you realise exactly how much your tyres move.
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon04 Mar 2018 10:01
The trick is to turn it all off before you get stuck
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon04 Mar 2018 10:13
This was just embarrassing as I parked in a parking area on the snow which was about a week or so old to take a photo.
The car then sank. /media/file/133686.aspx

So it is really easy to come a cropper. Even in a very small area!

Actually, looking at it now, the snow was about 4" where the front wheels were. No wonder I got stuck.
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
TT600 (00-01)

icon04 Mar 2018 10:45
I went out in the wife's Z yesterday (she'd taken my 4x4).......it was a f!$%ing hoot!

Wide tyres, 200BHP, RWD!:lol:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon04 Mar 2018 15:44
You can't take a chance, I'm getting one of these in case it snows again.

https://s9.postimg.org/yif5a2swv/Screens...
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon04 Mar 2018 16:02
----KK----:

:lol:

russ999rocket:
----KK----:

:lol:

ABS has helped me out a few times in the car over the years, my experience of non ABS cars is that when the tyres lock up during an emergency situation I just press the brake lever harder and then "brace, brace, brace" as the object in front gets closer. If ABS had been around in the 70's then my Mk3 Cortina would have lasted a few years longer!:blush:

As for TC, great on the bike, not sure about cars but I would rather have it than not have it.
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon05 Mar 2018 09:07
Riggsy:
Honestly,
If your blaming the "drivers aids", then you were not driving correctly in the first place.

Snow is a f!$%er to drive in.
Once the tyre treads are full of frozen snow, there's not a lot of extra help out there.
Just slow down and use the engine!

Anyway, normal service will be resumed soon :lol:

Sage view Ian.:thumbup::thumbup:

People get in vehicles and immediately turn any small amount of grey matter off, especially in snow. The number of twonks I saw going nowhere when I was making good progress in my old car was laughable. I did have one minor brown trouser moment when some bugger stopped for no reason in front of me - was well back, at least 200yds, but was hemmed in by snow drifts both sides. The abs wasn't going to help, so to avoid a shunt I put my wheel into the edge of a drift. Job done.:lol:
-
Julestools
In my shed somewhere,
United Kingdom

Bonneville T100 (02-08)

icon05 Mar 2018 09:58
We went green laning in the old Landy a few years back, between Christmas and new year.....

one of the guys had a Disco 3 with all the electronic toys and road tyres..... he went home before we reached the first lane as it slipped into a ditch and got scratched

Peter had his Disco 2 with a TD5, more electronic toys and off road tyres.... it was ok but we found his winch came in handy on more than one occasion

I had my early Disco 1 with none of the toys but a good set of off road Insa Turbo remoulds at reduced tyre pressure..... it was a great day out although it got a bit rough over the hellfire pass (Bwlch y Groes) in the steadily falling snow, well after dark on the way home after a belly full at the Railway Inn in Abergynolwyn
-
red baron
n\w london,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon05 Mar 2018 18:08
My series 3 lightweight was a right hoot last week:lol:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon05 Mar 2018 18:51
Julestools:

I had my early Disco 1 with none of the toys but a good set of off road Insa Turbo remoulds at reduced tyre pressure..... it was a great day out although it got a bit rough over the hellfire pass (Bwlch y Groes)

I run Insa Turbos on the front of my Transporter T5 . They make a huge difference , but are heavy and can be noisy on the road . I used to run Insa Sahara's but they are really noisy so now use Ranger's which are a bit better on tarmac . Tbh though I would probably buy the Sahara's again as they will get you through the deepest snow without any drama at all . I only use them in the snow though , as soon as weather improves they are off the van :thumbup:
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon05 Mar 2018 18:55
red baron:
My series 3 lightweight was a right hoot last week:lol:

We're taliking about traction control Rob ...... not tractor control /media/file/68296.aspx
-
red baron
n\w london,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon05 Mar 2018 20:54
As you know paul, I do like my tractors :lol:
-
Boycie
Winterdown,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Premier Member
Speed Triple T509

icon06 Mar 2018 09:39
I had no problems at all ... with the right tyres on :smirk:

Typical Beemer :evil: ... slithered his way to this bridge and couldn't get off

/media/file/133687.aspx

A little bit up the road an Artic going nowhere ... and hopefully no further to the left or he would be needing a crane

/media/file/133688.aspx

and a van stuck in a really dodgy spot

/media/file/133689.aspx

[smug] I don't think traction control or ABS were used at any point by me :tongueout:[/smug]

Run the Winters end of Oct/nov until March-ish ... basically when avg temp is sub 10.
The is the initial outlay but while you are using them you are not using your Summer tyres.
Wife now has a 2WD mini - it wasn't out in the worst of it but she had no problems with the snow either ( a full set of winters including new alloys just over £400 ) .
Stacked up they don't take up that much space
-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon09 Mar 2018 15:09
I'm in the market for new bike soon and I'd be interested to hear what TC is like on a bike? Call me and ol fart but never ridden a bike with it but I have been riding for 30 years
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Mar 2018 16:18
tbh, I've never noticed it operate :blush:
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon09 Mar 2018 16:32
Tasha:
I'm in the market for new bike soon and I'd be interested to hear what TC is like on a bike? Call me and ol fart but never ridden a bike with it but I have been riding for 30 years

Off topic, but is Jack Gow's still on the go?
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon09 Mar 2018 17:02
Go and get a test ride on a Ducati and play with it.
-
Mustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon09 Mar 2018 18:35
I had to turn the TC off in the van (RWD) to get any appreciable forward motion in the snow. I watched, incredulous, some Millenial in front of me driving a BMW & every time he pulled away the car was just going sideways because he had his foot planted to the floor. f!$%ing clueless :lol:
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
TT600 (00-01)

icon09 Mar 2018 18:41
Rob NMTB:
tbh, I've never noticed it operate :blush:

That's because you ride like a vicar's wife!:lol:
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon09 Mar 2018 19:25
Do they have limp wrists then ? 07
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon09 Mar 2018 21:53
It is surprising how the TC light flashes and bangs away during spirited riding. Gravel and dirt make it come on, as obviously does the rain.
Not hard with BHP though.

The bike won't wheelie either, as soon as the computer registers differing wheel speeds it shuts down power and it drops.

Obviously not a failsafe, but a good idea
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon09 Mar 2018 22:24
Fretmeister:
It is surprising how the TC light flashes and bangs away during spirited riding. Gravel and dirt make it come on, as obviously does the rain.
Not hard with BHP though.

The bike won't wheelie either, as soon as the computer registers differing wheel speeds it shuts down power and it drops.

Obviously not a failsafe, but a good idea

What the old man said! :thumbup:
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon10 Mar 2018 08:15
Baldbloke:
Tasha:

Off topic, but is Jack Gow's still on the go?
. As you probably know Jack died during practice for the 1996 Manx GP his dealership has had a few owners Alan Duffas and now Ecosse Honda from Aberdeen... Jack was a true gentleman and a fantastic rider.
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Traction Control
-