Triumph Torque Logo

Friday, 19 October 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > How come I can drive 29 miles into work today..
Info
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon01 Mar 2018 20:01
but over 30 people who work for me and live less than 7 miles from work and come in on the same road as me say they are "snowed in" with impassable roads.

Who's got it right, all they lose is 1 days pay!
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon01 Mar 2018 20:03
It's generally those who are incapable of setting out a few minutes early, that find the roads impassable 01
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon01 Mar 2018 20:13
russ999rocket:
but over 30 people who work for me and live less than 7 miles from work and come in on the same road as me say they are "snowed in" with impassable roads.

You should hire a bus and pick them up on the way in /media/file/68296.aspx
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon01 Mar 2018 20:59
Paul, I smell "Profit":grin:
-
TRIP
Dream world.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon01 Mar 2018 21:46
If they have s!$% job. On £ 7.50 a hour and don’t get payed for not turning up.
Tough s!$%.
I had to make it in today, otherwise you lot wouldn’t be putting your lights on.:kiss:
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon01 Mar 2018 22:46
If you own the company, and the profits are yours, you are better motivated and more likely to take the risks in this weather.

If you're a Joe Punchclock and eating somebody else's s!$%, why break your neck?

(I realise your people are probably better off than that, but I am using the extreme to highlight a point).
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon02 Mar 2018 01:01
TRIP:
If they have s!$% job. On £ 7.50 a hour and don’t get payed for not turning up.
Tough s!$%.
I had to make it in today, otherwise you lot wouldn’t be putting your lights on.:kiss:

For £7.50 an hour you are a hero!:kiss:

All joking apart the trip home at 22:00 was a bit "fruity" shall we say with snow drifts across the road and a few bum clenching moments as the traction control kicked in as I just managed to crawl up a few moderate hills.
I was expecting, since we have known about this all week, even down to the hour, that the main roads would be good.
Nope!
A40, main dual carriageway into Oxford covered in deep snow, WTF!, no gritters out, no snowploughs, not even one blue flashing light.
Glad I don't have to venture out again until Sunday, good luck if your travelling Fri or Sat!.
-
Fret
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon02 Mar 2018 07:13
Sod's law says I get this message.

"Current Advice as of 6.16am

The Southampton businesses will remain closed today so do not attempt to travel.

I know a few from Central are planning on walking but again please take extra caution.

For staff without access to email please contact by phone.

Any concerns please contact me on 07973 xxxxxx.

Kind regards

William"

I don't start until Monday. :angry:

But this is the difference between an employer and a decent employer.
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon02 Mar 2018 21:20
You can often get to work, but often not back again as it starts freezing at 3:00pm

If I'm going to be iced in somewhere, due to traffic gridlock, its not going to be at f!$%ing work on a Friday.

:lol::lol:
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon02 Mar 2018 21:23
Phoned my boss up yesterday to try and blag a day off because of the weather, can't get in due to snow, blah, blah. When he told me not to be so stupid I work from home I knew the game was up.
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon02 Mar 2018 22:10
:lol::lol:
-
BINKIE -AKA Woodie
Upper Bucklebury,
United Kingdom

Tiger (07->)

icon05 Mar 2018 12:52
russ999rocket:

It all depends on you route in, your motivation and how much loyalty to your employer.

I drove in to work (Thursday) as we are shorthanded and busy, I did leave early but roads were surprisingly quiet.

Leaving an hour early to come home it took me 3 hours to travel the 20 odd miles from Basingstoke to home. Spinning wheels up hill and sliding sideways downhill despite manual traction control I decided I wasn't going to risk it for anyone.

I still spent all day in conf calls and emails but just from a more comfortable and welcoming "office".. :drink:
-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon06 Mar 2018 10:01
Also depends on personal safety. How confident a driver you are and whether your boss deserves you taking risk.
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon06 Mar 2018 10:04
Tasha:
Also depends on personal safety. How confident a driver you are and whether your boss deserves you taking risk.

True, I received no thanks & no recognition. Lesson learnt.
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > How come I can drive 29 miles into work today..
-