Triumph Torque Logo

Saturday, 26 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Another thread for any mechanically minded folk...
Info
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon19 Feb 2018 00:01
Hi all

Wondered if anyone could help shed any light on a weird whining noise my friend is experiencing with his car. I have copied his forum post verbatim from the merc forum he is not having any luck with (no replies..),

Thanks all

Quote:
Hi

I have a 1999 SLK 230 which seems to have developed an odd whining noise under particular circumstances.

No noise whilst in gear & accelerating, but when i take my foot off the accelerator pedal an odd whining noise can be heard. This happens whilst in gear and whilst out of gear. Hard to pinpoint the exact location of the whine but I believe it is coming from behind.

It also happens whilst driving forward (any gear) and in reverse.

The noise still persists when I've taken it out of gear & rev the engine.

Other than this noise, there appears to be no other symptoms.

Any ideas? My local garage thinks it may be the gearbox but I am not so sure. Thanks for any help you have provide.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Danny
SE Wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
America (02->)

icon19 Feb 2018 01:25
Does it have the compressor on top of the engine, I know the 2.0 litre did. When the compressor bearings are worn a bit then the screw impellers on the compressor can rub together to generate that noise.
Of course it could be something else.

Btw that is not my knowledge but it was what Ed China found on a 2.0 litre. :lol:
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon19 Feb 2018 09:00
It's rear wheel drive I believe so I would probably suspect it is a problem with the crown wheel and pinion in the rear differential .
Gearbox would "normally" make a noise only when in gear so don't think it's that .
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

Premier Member
Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon19 Feb 2018 11:27
Based on the information given that sounds like classic symptoms of diff bearings imho, if the whine only comes by doing nothing more than backing off the throttle whilst in gear. I’d be draining the diff oil and taking a look at the magnetic plug for any metal particles. All it would cost is a gallon or so of oil.
-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon19 Feb 2018 12:49
Is it the thing under bonnet, called an engine is it, that makes noise right?
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon19 Feb 2018 15:32
Wife on the back seat?
-
Mustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon19 Feb 2018 16:40
Drain the diff oil, put banana skins & sawdust in :thumbup: It's a car salesman's trick that PtB told me :smirk::tongueout:

It does sound like the rear diff though, or even a wheel bearing :thumbup:
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

Premier Member

icon19 Feb 2018 17:01
A rear wheel bearing and the noise would not change just by rolling on/off the throttle, but it would change when cornering depending on which side of the car had the bad bearing. The noise would either get louder or quieter as the bearing was loaded/unloaded.

My money’s still on the diff - I’m assuming the car is RWD, right?
-
PaulM
Northampton,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon19 Feb 2018 17:31
Mach 1:
It's rear wheel drive I believe so I would probably suspect it is a problem with the crown wheel and pinion in the rear differential .
Gearbox would "normally" make a noise only when in gear so don't think it's that .

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

Premier Member

icon19 Feb 2018 17:59
Mach 1:
Not necessarily. A bad bearing on the input side of the gearbox will generally whine all the time but will stop if you dip the clutch with the car not moving. A bad bearing in the output side of the box will only whine while the car is moving and will not stop even if you shift to neutral or dip the clutch while moving.

That’s how you can detect in which part of a manual box the bad bearing is located.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon19 Feb 2018 21:08
Nige:
Mach 1:
Not necessarily. A bad bearing on the input side of the gearbox will generally whine all the time but will stop if you dip the clutch with the car not moving. A bad bearing in the output side of the box will only whine while the car is moving and will not stop even if you shift to neutral or dip the clutch while moving.

That’s how you can detect in which part of a manual box the bad bearing is located.

In my experience it's not normally bearings in gearbox and diff that whine , they tend to rumble . A whine in gearbox or diff is mainly caused by the meshings of gears not being correct . But a bearing that has collapsed or has wear can make the gears whine .
A crown wheel and pinion in a rear diff will whine on overrun , or throttling off because it is not set properly for backlash , and a worn bearing can cause incorrect backlash .
My original post was only to recommend checking the rear diff first as that would be my first port of call with the information given :thumbup:
-
GDCobra
North West,
United Kingdom

Thruxton (09->)

icon19 Feb 2018 21:22
Fretmeister:
Wife on the back seat?

No baby k seat in an SLK. She has to ride up front.
-
r1chm
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon19 Feb 2018 22:12
Thanks all for input. Yes it is RWD.
-
Andy Holmes
Leics.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon19 Feb 2018 23:06
Propshaft UJ or centre bearing.
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple R

icon20 Feb 2018 13:06
It's the bootscraper...!
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Another thread for any mechanically minded folk...
-