Triumph Torque Logo

Thursday, 24 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Waterless coolant.
Info
Snot on the Ouse,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon16 Feb 2018 17:49
I don't know if we've had this discussion before. Anyone used it on a trumpet? Thinking about using it in the Speedy.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Feb 2018 17:50
I wouldn't bother replacing your coolant unless your head gasket is leaking

And if it wasn't leaking before you replaced the coolant, it certainly will be once you've replaced it :speechless:
-
Katies Grandad
Snot on the Ouse,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon16 Feb 2018 17:55
But the waterless stuff doesn't build pressure like the normal coolant, which is the main reason I was considering it.
-
Katies Grandad
Snot on the Ouse,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon16 Feb 2018 18:34
Or are you just referring to sod's law.
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon16 Feb 2018 18:43
Katies Grandad:
I don't know if we've had this discussion before. Anyone used it on a trumpet? Thinking about using it in the Speedy.

It's useless on a Trumpet but seems to cope OK on a tuba.
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon16 Feb 2018 19:15
I have it in mine. Bloody expensive but I too liked the idea of little or no pressure in the system. Seems to work fine and certainly seems to cope with hot weather better.
-
Katies Grandad
Snot on the Ouse,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon16 Feb 2018 19:17
Does the motor run any hotter?
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon16 Feb 2018 19:19
No, a little cooler if anything.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Feb 2018 19:50
I've never used "waterless coolant" , but the likes of Motul do a performance spec engine coolant which you can't dilute which may be similar .
Personally I wouldn't bother unless your vehicle is known to suffer from cooling problems , I assumed the Speed engine was pretty reliable in this respect :thumbup:
-
Katies Grandad
Snot on the Ouse,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon16 Feb 2018 19:55
The speedie engine warms very quickly and goes on to the fan with very little encouragement. However having done a bit more reading I don't think that waterless will be any better in that respect.
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon16 Feb 2018 20:00
Yes it is. When I run my bike in the garage it's ages before the fan kicks in.
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple R

icon16 Feb 2018 21:12
Katies Grandad:
Gladtobebackontwowheels:

How can it run cooler, unless you remove the thermostat?
-
Popeye
Plymouth,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (02-04)

icon16 Feb 2018 22:29
Tubas in the Moonlight . . .

-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon16 Feb 2018 22:54
Riggsy:

I would imagine if the waterless coolant is a better medium for transferring heat than normal anti-freeze mix , then potentially it will make the bike run cooler :thumbup:

Gladtobebackontwowheels:
Yes it is. When I run my bike in the garage it's ages before the fan kicks in.

In that respect it does sound like it could be beneficial , especially if you sit in traffic a lot .
In my experience in the summer months , most new bikes , especially high performance one's , will have their cooling fan chiming in at the slightest whiff of stationary traffic . They're not designed to be standing still :thumbup:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon16 Feb 2018 22:59
Riggsy:
Katies Grandad:
Gladtobebackontwowheels:

The thermostat only sets the point at which the coolant is sent to the radiator. My guess is that it's more efficient at transferring heat away as the temperature gauge definitely shows cooler on the move than it was before. It also doesn't skyrocket the moment you get into traffic in the summer. It does creep up but nowhere near as fast.
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon16 Feb 2018 23:58
With the waterless They tell you to change the T-stat and fan cut in settings

My question is this..if the cooling system is designed to run under pressure ...what negative effects will happen with no PSI??? ...how will coolant move in and out of the expansion bottle ??.
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon17 Feb 2018 07:29
The waterless coolant is a good idea as it does not expand so it does not put any pressure on the system.
My old Jag can run a bit warm in today's traffic so I looked into the waterless coolant. The only problem is the cost, I think for the Jag it was going to cost around £150, a big part of the cost was the prep fluid you have to use to flush the system of all the old water first. If the engine had just been rebuilt and hadn't had any water added I would have used it but as it hadn't I just couldn't justify the cost.
What I did use was WataWetta, a coolant additive that does something clever to the water tension. In traffic the temp gauge would always hover around the 3/4 mark, after adding the WattaWetta it stayed around the 1/2 mark. In normal running it used to sit slightly above the 1/2 mark and after adding it sits just under the 1/2 mark.
On eBay there are now cheaper brand than WattaWetta, I added 2 small bottles and am pleased with the results. Having owned Triumph Stags for a number of years I have become very aware of overheating and developed a squint where one eye is on the road and the other firmly on the temperature guage.
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon17 Feb 2018 08:47
Those results sound very similar to my findings with the bike.

But MUCH cheaper! :lol:
-
Andy Holmes
Leics.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon17 Feb 2018 17:46
j p:

My question is this..if the cooling system is designed to run under pressure ...what negative effects will happen with no PSI??? ...how will coolant move in and out of the expansion bottle ??.

It is pressurised to raise the boiling point of the coolant,with no pressure, it wont blow stuff into the expansion tank, as it doesnt expand.

Evens Coolant...............s!$%e.
Tried it....................it failed.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon17 Feb 2018 18:55
jaguartvr:
The waterless coolant is a good idea as it does not expand so it does not put any pressure on the system.
My old Jag can run a bit warm in today's traffic so I looked into the waterless coolant.

What Jag u got ?
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon17 Feb 2018 18:57
I'll give you a clue :tongueout:

He is known as the Hairy Morse of Egham /media/file/68296.aspx
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon17 Feb 2018 22:04
Andy Holmes:
j p:

It is pressurised to raise the boiling point of the coolant,with no pressure, it wont blow stuff into the expansion tank, as it doesnt expand.

Evens Coolant...............s!$%e.
Tried it....................it failed.

How can it fail?
It's Evans I have in mine and it's been perfect.
-
Andy Holmes
Leics.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon17 Feb 2018 23:20
Tried it in my YPVS, ran a lot hotter, couldnt get rid of the temp once it got hot, finally blew the head gasket.went back to water, no problems.
-
onlineMustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon17 Feb 2018 23:58
Nice n Fat:
I'll give you a clue :tongueout:

He is known as the Hairy Morse of Egham /media/file/68296.aspx

XJS? :tongueout:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon18 Feb 2018 07:29
Tried it in the GSA, didn't work. :smirk::tongueout:

I remember looking into it when I had a watercooled bike and the conclusion was there is no better coolant than water as it removes the most heat to the radiator. Water contains the most latent heat of all liquid coolants. However, if the engine issue is that is likely to leak from pressurised coolant then other coolants had their place but it will run hotter.
Conclusion, if the engine is in good condition, it's better with traditional water based coolant with protection against corrosion, if the engine is a bit dodgy consider the alternatives.
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon18 Feb 2018 08:39
But it doesn't run hotter - not theory, fact, in daily use, (well not daily at the moment but you know what I mean :grin:). I'm not pushing the stuff, it's entirely up to yous if you use it or not but my personal experience of it is that it works perfectly well. It also never needs changing.
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon18 Feb 2018 08:54
Jag Mk2 with modern modifications.
XJ40 4 speed auto transmission so it drives like a modern car, XJS modern rack and pinion power steering, alternator and upgraded brake calipers.
Inside retrimmed using XJ40 vanden plas seats so you get modern electric seats but still keep the picnic tables. Electric windows and remote central locking.
Owned it for nearly 20 years and is worth considerably more than I paid for it. Free car tax and no MOT from this tear and the insurance is a whopping £84 per year.
Prior to having the MK2 I has a series 2 E-Type roadster that I had to sell along with my TVR Griffith, worst decision I ever made, E-type now worth 4 times what I sold it for and the TVR double.
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon18 Feb 2018 09:01
Gladtobebackontwowheels, it may appear that it doesn't run hotter, however, without running tests with thermostats comparing with/without that can't be quantified. It may be your engine is dumping heat sufficiently so it isn't noticeable, which of course is fine. No one can change the law of physics so if it came down to the how to dump the most amount of heat then it's water that comes out on top.
-
PaulM
Northampton,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon18 Feb 2018 09:14
I'm in the process of changing/flushing my cooling system, looked at Evans but not entirely convinced after reading numerous posts on-line.
And did not want to spend the money. I've bought some Motol additive that is meant to to breakdown the surface tension of the water which helps it stick to the metal inside the engine allowing better cooling. I will see if it works when it warms up outside. I've also rapped wrapped my downpipes to take heat away from the rad area. Though i would check the thermostat as well as it seemed to open a bit early and found it fitted INCORRECTLY THE JIGGLE PIN WAS AT THE BOTTOM NOT THE TOP trapping air in the system. Bike has had a problem with running hot in traffic since I have owned it and likes to spit water out when it gets very hot, air trapped in the system will do this so hopefully a new stat fitted correctly will stop that.
I bought the bike with 12K on it and have never touched it so I bet Triumph sent it out like that. Can't wait for a 30c day for a proper test.:grin::grin:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon18 Feb 2018 09:25
I give up, I imagined the whole thing. :smile:
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon18 Feb 2018 09:30
Unless you took a more scientific approach and changed the laws of physics then you could well have. :tongueout:
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon18 Feb 2018 09:41
On my Thunderbird I fitted a different fan switch which cuts in earlier (think it is a VW sensor) so the engine doesn't get as hot.
It used to be quite common on old cars to fit a winter or summer thermostat.
My daughter has a little Corsa that takes ages to warm up and the heater is never very warm. Trouble is that the thermostat is built into the housing so you can't just fit a hotter thermostat and there is only one standard temperature available.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon18 Feb 2018 10:09
jaguartvr:
Jag Mk2 with modern modifications.
XJ40 4 speed auto transmission so it drives like a modern car, XJS modern rack and pinion power steering, alternator and upgraded brake calipers.
Inside retrimmed using XJ40 vanden plas seats so you get modern electric seats but still keep the picnic tables. Electric windows and remote central locking.
Owned it for nearly 20 years and is worth considerably more than I paid for it. Free car tax and no MOT from this tear and the insurance is a whopping £84 per year.
Prior to having the MK2 I has a series 2 E-Type roadster that I had to sell along with my TVR Griffith, worst decision I ever made, E-type now worth 4 times what I sold it for and the TVR double.

Love the MK2 Jaguar ,it's just a stunning shape imo . My dad had one in the late sixties , early seventies ,and got to admit I shed a tear or two when he sold it .
You've obviously done the right mods to yours to make it a more modern drive , I'm more than a little jealous :sad::sad:.
E-types are fetching good money but they take a lot of work and money to get to top value prices , my mate has a Series 1 convertible , one owner from new, but is in the process of restoration and the bill will could possibly be £40-50k , ouch
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Bonneville (01-08)

icon18 Feb 2018 10:39
Mach 1 :
Love the MK2 Jaguar ,it's just a stunning shape imo . My dad had one in the late sixties , early seventies ,and got to admit I shed a tear or two when he sold it .

BINGO ... my Dad had a MK2 as well

The clutch was failing and they wanted £130 to replace it so he chopped it in for a brand new Vauxhall Ventora :cry:

This was 1968 :lol:
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon18 Feb 2018 13:15
My Dad also had a MK2 when I was a kid which is probably why I am into Jags. He sold it due to encroaching rust and replaced it with a Vauxhall Victor which just rusted away in front of your eyes.

I have a picture of me aged about 12 standing next to it on the driveway, I also have a picture of my son next to mine in the same position on the same driveway at the same age and one of me too but 45 years after the first picture was taken.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon18 Feb 2018 17:43
Nice n Fat:
Mach 1 :

BINGO ... my Dad had a MK2 as well

The clutch was failing and they wanted £130 to replace it so he chopped it in for a brand new Vauxhall Ventora :cry:

This was 1968 :lol:
jaguartvr:
My Dad also had a MK2 when I was a kid which is probably why I am into Jags. He sold it due to encroaching rust and replaced it with a Vauxhall Victor which just rusted away in front of your eyes.

I have a picture of me aged about 12 standing next to it on the driveway, I also have a picture of my son next to mine in the same position on the same driveway at the same age and one of me too but 45 years after the first picture was taken.

metallic blue ? I did like that colour :smile:
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Waterless coolant.
-