Triumph Torque Logo

Friday, 19 October 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Where do I stand?
Info
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T309

icon12 Feb 2018 23:24
Sold a 16 year old car to someone in the local town about 3 weeks ago. Car was in remarkable condition for age and no major faults. I was completely honest about minor faults that had been fixed and sold it, in good faith, as seen. It had two new front tyres and a brand new battery. When we went for a test drive the purchaser acknowledged how well it drove. The car was owned by me from brand new, which is worth something in my book.

Anyway, I got a text recently from the guy telling me the central locking was playing up and asking if I knew anything about this; I said absolutely not, which is the truth. The car was working perfectly when I sold it to him. Now tonight, I get another text asking me to call him about the car as it's been off the road for a week. Honestly, I really wonder sometimes about my patience when it comes to the human race!

Yes, I acknowledge it's a bugger that this has happened but what does he expect me to do about it!? The paperwork for the transfer of ownership has arrived from the DVLA and I gave no written guarantees being a private sale.

Without sounding cruel my daughter has just arrived from overseas with our first grandson for a week only, I've had a complete business IT meltdown over the last month (it's so bad I'm still trying to fix it!) and I've a dependent 94 year old mother amongst many other things to deal with.

Responses on a postcard please.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Andy Holmes
Leics.,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon12 Feb 2018 23:31
Sold as seen, tried and tested.
No warranty, offered, implied or given.
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T309

icon12 Feb 2018 23:42
Andy Holmes:
Sold as seen, tried and tested.
No warranty, offered, implied or given.

What I thought too but interested to hear confirmed.
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon13 Feb 2018 00:27
f!$% him. Your issues are bigger and more important than his.
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon13 Feb 2018 01:07
s!$% happens! ....it’s sixteen f!$%ing years old .. you’ve kept up on the maintence .and it was in good running condition ...of coarse something broke ..that’s why you sold it ..so you don’t have to keep repairing it :lol::lol::lol:
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

TT600 (00-01)

icon13 Feb 2018 07:00
Tell him, politely, to f!$% off and stop being a c!$%.

:speechless::lol:
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon13 Feb 2018 07:41
I'm with Nick!
What the hell is up with people? Caveat emptor, he looked at it, tried it and bought it end of story. I bought a car from a mate a few years back and ended up having all sorts of expensive problems, he and his Mrs felt really bad but I told him that it became my problem the moment I drove it away and not to worry. I ended up selling it with an unknown engine problem for £350.
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon13 Feb 2018 08:04
Sold as seen...You had told him of any minor repairs that had been carried out in all honesty, things happen you can't be held responsible.
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 1050

icon13 Feb 2018 08:09
Two options :

Answer 1) I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. However the vehicle was tested by yourself and sold in working order. I was not aware of the fault you mention and am not liable for any subsequent costs.

Answer 2) Fc*k off you chancer. It's an old motor and sh*t happens

-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon13 Feb 2018 08:26
He's obviously chancing his arm, he should know better and if he doesn't. ignorance is no excuse. First mistake is entering into conversation with him. Should have been a short text reply saying 'Sold As Seen' Ignore him there on in
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon13 Feb 2018 08:29
More of the same from me Rich. f!$% him.

Recently sold my TT and about a month later the guy comes back telling me I've tucked him up as it was leaking oil down the back of the engine and when it is driven hard you can smell burning oil and when he removed the bumper to clean out the intercooler he found damage behind the bumper and some mountings are snapped.

Told him when he bought it the only stipulation he had was that it had to get him 7 miles to work (told him it was doing 17 miles each way for me without issue) and that he has probably been ragging it for the past 3-4 weeks and now he wants his money back but he had no chance as I had offered him a test ride and refused to take money from him until he was happy (the guy had agreed to buy it sight unseen and didn't even want the test drive until I took him out in it!). Never heard from him again.

Only difference is when I sell a vehicle I write out 2 x receipts stating (vehicle make and reg) sold to (owners name on date) no warranty implied or given, bought as seen and both are signed by both parties.
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon13 Feb 2018 09:20
Nick:
Tell him, politely, to f!$% off and stop being a c!$%.

:speechless::lol:
:thumbup:

First the bloke needs to grow a pair and stop whining. He bought a 16 year old car, not a new one from a franchise dealer!

He had the opportunity to check it over, if he wanted he could have paid a professional to assess it if he wasn't confident about cars. But it's now his problem, don't worry about it, you didn't include a warrantee and it's sold as seen.
-
Exuptoy
Maesteg, Mid Glam,
United Kingdom

Daytona 675

icon13 Feb 2018 09:30
Quick cut and paste.

If you are selling a car, your main responsibility is to ensure that you describe and represent the car fairly and accurately to the potential buyer. As a private seller, you are not strictly required to assure the buyer that the car is in good condition. However, you cannot claim that a car is in good working order when it is not, so if a prospective buyer asks you about the condition of the vehicle, you must be totally honest.

When you have agreed the sale, you should provide the buyer with a car seller’s contract. This is a receipt, signed by both the buyer and the seller, which states that the car was “sold as seen, tried and approved without guarantee”. You can find a template for a car seller’s contract on the AA’s website.
-
Mach 1
Durham,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon13 Feb 2018 09:44
As long as you are not a trader , or trading in vehicles he hasn't a leg to stand on . If you do trade in cars , even at home (you said "a" car , not "my" car ?) then he will have some rights under consumer goods act . I suspect you already know this anyway .
FWIW the problem now is there are more and more people who won't take responsibility for their actions , everything that goes wrong is someone else fault . But in reality it is as GTBBOTW says , caveat emptor :thumbup:.
-
Scott
Portsmouth,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (00-01)

icon13 Feb 2018 11:13
As all above, its a private sale, sold as seen and tested. your not a dealer and sold your own private car. its 16 years old and when he took it from you and got it home the central locking was working (otherwise he would have been straight on the phone to you saying that the car wont lock)

3 weeks later a fault develops. In that 3 weeks how many times had he used the central locking ? about 84 times (just based on only using the car to get to and from work each day and nothing else.) if there was an existing fault it would have presented itself within that 3 weeks and 84 operations.

Politely tell him that your sorry he is now having issues but there was no issues other than any you had mentioned (IF ANY ) empathize & remind him that it is a 16 year old car faults will randomly develop (as they can with a brand new car)

if he is not having any of it reply solely with

If you're 18 or over and would like the chance for 'Judge Rinder' to help you, get in touch now
You can text the word JUDGE plus your name to 63334. Texts cost 25p plus one standard network rate message.

Call 09011 22 33 44. As of the 1st July 2015, calls cost 25p plus your network access charge.

Or send an email with your name and daytime phone number to the email address below and a member of the team will call you back.

Contact by e-mail to: judge@itv.com (please include your phone number in your email)
Applications closing date: Monday 30 April 2018 at midday
Audition/Casting period: Ongoing
Age restriction applies: Applicants must be 18 years of age or over
Terms and Conditions: Terms and Conditions apply.

And tell us what date it airs so we can all have a laugh.
-
----KK----
West SX / London,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon13 Feb 2018 12:03
Go on Judge Rinder.:thumbup::lol:
-
Tasha
Dundee,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon13 Feb 2018 12:17
----KK----:

Where a nice wee tutu anaw, it'll definitely get a result :lol:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T309

icon13 Feb 2018 12:19
Just to compound my woes I've done my back in today.:beatup: f!$%, it never rains, it pours!:lol:

Suffice to say I haven't replied to his text or phoned him.:smirk:
-
~EARL~
gods country wales,
United Kingdom

Tiger 800XC

icon13 Feb 2018 13:16
As all said above mate all private vehicles are sold as seen

I've bought plenty of pups in my time so trust me I know :lol::lol::lol:
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon13 Feb 2018 13:26
Obee Wan:
Just to compound my woes I've done my back in today.:beatup: f!$%, it never rains, it pours!:lol:

you got lots on your plate without this s!$%e going on.:drink::drink:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T309

icon13 Feb 2018 13:56
~EARL~:
As all said above mate all private vehicles are sold as seen

I've bought plenty of pups in my time so trust me I know :lol::lol::lol:

The sad thing is Tim, fundamentally, it's still a very good car - it never let me down in 16 years of daily use. Sods law requires that moment you sell a previously faultless vehicle something plays up for the new owner. Got the DVLA acknowledgement that car registration doc has been transferred to their details, so I'm not about to take it back.:smirk:
-
russ999rocket
Swine Town,
United Kingdom

Tiger Explorer

icon13 Feb 2018 14:47
----KK----:

I am sure Judge Nice and Fat will soon be on here with his opinion...
-
jaguartvr
Englefield Green,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon13 Feb 2018 15:13
If he takes in your 94 year old mother, offer to fix the car:evil::thumbup:
-
Manga
Staffs,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon13 Feb 2018 15:48
I had the same problem with a bike swop - he test rode mine and we were both happy. Later on he keeps texting me about a noise. Then calling me. THen threatening me.

In the end I caved in and contributed to his repair bill, I'm not used to threats and yes I'm a bit soft but there are people in this country and places that are hard n nasty - Im from a sheltered background and its put me off selling private.
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon13 Feb 2018 16:54
Bought a few private but only sold 3 private all good bikes name never had any come back, but stop selling private couldn't be arsed with jokers coming to view.
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T309

icon13 Feb 2018 17:13
McWill:
Bought a few private but only sold 3 private all good bikes name never had any come back, but stop selling private couldn't be arsed with jokers coming to view.

Is the first car I've sold in 16 years....and last. Business lease from now on, far less hassle.:thumbup:
-
Nice n Fat
Wilts, Berks & Hants,
United Kingdom

Bonneville (01-08)

icon13 Feb 2018 17:23
Obee Wan:

Grow a pair and tell the cnut to f!$% OFF /media/file/78249.aspx
-
Mustapha Dump
South East,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon13 Feb 2018 18:12
I sold a 2nd-hand washing machine in good working order on Gumtree a while back; a young couple came to collect it with a van. A week or so later I received a text from them saying that the machine was faulty & that they wanted their money back. "Sure, bring the machine back & I'll reimburse you" I replied. Never heard from them again. I think they mistook my friendly, accommodating nature as also meaning I was a push over but they were sadly mistaken. Which I'm sure is the case with the chancer you sold your car to 27
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Adventurer (99-01)

icon13 Feb 2018 18:36
Tell him yo know somebody that will give him $500 for the heap of s!$%e :lol:
-
Obee Wan
Angles of the East,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T309

icon13 Feb 2018 18:42
Nice n Fat:
Obee Wan:

The true diplomat has spoken!:lol:

Haven't heard anymore so don't think there's a need to waste my breath.:smirk:
-
Henpecked
Gtr Manchester,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon13 Feb 2018 19:03
Obee Wan:
Nice n Fat:
Obee Wan:

The true diplomat has spoken!:lol:

Haven't heard anymore so don't think there's a need to waste my breath.:smirk:

He's also been doing his internet research and bumped into Nick and Obee on a different forum and been told to grow a pair and stop whining obviously :lol::lol:
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon20 Feb 2018 19:16
Obee Wan:

Just Text:
"f!$%-OFF
Strongly worded letter to follow"

:evil::lol:
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Where do I stand?
-