Triumph Torque Logo

Thursday, 24 May 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Minimum price in Scotland on alcohol
Info
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon26 Dec 2017 09:12
In the New Year our esteemed leader:thumbdown: Nicola will be imposing additional charges on any alcohol above a certain strength and presently at a relatively low cost. It was supposed to be capturing those high strength ciders and wife beating beers, and as such will not impact on a normal bottle of Grouse/Bells or even a better bottle of wine as the strength to price ratio will be satisfied by the new legislation.
Prices in pubs will be unaffected as the mark up on drink covers the price point in the up coming legislation.
It is not actually a tax as the retailer will be retaining the additional pounds.

However, having done the sums i now see that my favourite cider (4.5%) tipple available at your local supermarket for around £12 -£15 a case will be doubling in price and that any beer around 4-5% will increase just as much too.
My points are:
1. Why the f!$% should my lower alcohol cider and beer choice be hammered in price when hard spirits are unaffected?
2. People who drink 8% beer or cider probably can't or won't stop their intake. It will be their kids that will be further disadvantaged as the households income will be further depleted by the need to fund their more expensive booze.
3. Scots on the English border will just shop in England to avoid paying through the nose. Why the f!$% should those who live above Aberdeen be geographically disadvantaged?

I can see van traffic increasing substantially:lol:

So in Scotland.

The Government doesn't respect the Brexit vote, in spite of the population in Scotland first voting to remain a part of the UK .
We cannot even risk one drink and then drive
We cannot buy booze before 10am or after 10pm from a retail outlet except a pub, restaurant or hotel. This in spite of many workers working as shift workers and the time of day being immaterial.
And now we are going to hammered for the right to drink beer or cider.

You thought a Federal Europe was too controlling. You should try living here with the c!$%s in charge in Scotland.

Rant over:tongueout:
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon26 Dec 2017 09:20
Quote:
t is not actually a tax as the retailer will be retaining the additional pounds

Err, the retailer will pay income/corporation tax on those takings and guess who gets that....?
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon26 Dec 2017 09:35
It's happening in Wales soon as well. 50p per unit of alcohol.
I shall continue to buy my spirits from Amazon. No levy that way.
However, the price of cans of lager is going to shoot up.
w!$%ers.
-
speedyian
Northants,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint ST (05->)

icon26 Dec 2017 09:47
The answer is simple. Brew your own. It is not rocket science as there are many good wine, beer and cider kits on the market. As and when you get more proficient then you can brew from individual ingredients, which allows you, with beer, to vary strength and taste. Wine brewing is vary rewarding as you can grow your own, ie carrot, parsnip or beetroot. The simple precaution to take with hedgerow or flower wines is to make sure the ingredients like elderberry or hawthorne do not come from hedges near busy roads or near fields that are sprayed with insectisides etc.
There you go problem solved.
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon26 Dec 2017 11:41
X-Man:
Quote:
t is not actually a tax as the retailer will be retaining the additional pounds

Err, the retailer will pay income/corporation tax on those takings and guess who gets that....?

Correct, but the additional cost through the levy will not been directly taken by the Scottish government, and it's more difficult for the general public to see it for what it is.
Hopefully once it happens it will will backfire on the SNP and be a vote loser.

Sir TT:
w!$%ers.

I heard that they were considering following us. :thumbdown:

speedyian:
The answer is simple. Brew your own. It is not rocket science as there are many good wine, beer and cider kits on the market. As and when you get more proficient then you can brew from individual ingredients, which allows you, with beer, to vary strength and taste. Wine brewing is vary rewarding as you can grow your own, ie carrot, parsnip or beetroot. The simple precaution to take with hedgerow or flower wines is to make sure the ingredients like elderberry or hawthorne do not come from hedges near busy roads or near fields that are sprayed with insectisides etc.

Used to do it, now have other interests and would prefer to buy my drink at an unf!$%ed over price.
-
Dan The Man
An Englishman abroad,
Sweden

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon26 Dec 2017 11:45
Sounds a bit like Sweden to me :lol:
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon26 Dec 2017 11:49
Dan The Man:
Sounds a bit like Sweden to me :lol:

The SNP do admit to admiring the Scandinavian influence.

I see them as a patronising, condescending and controlling party. A bunch of f!$%wits who are followed by people with a chip on their shoulder.

Sir TT:
w!$%ers.

I can't see shortly buying from Amazon with a delivery address in Scotland (or Wales in the future) being a way around the levy.
-
Sir TT
Church of 3 Saints,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon26 Dec 2017 13:30
speedyian:

Don't like wine at all, cider gives me heartburn and don't like "real ale" or beer much to be honest.
Lager or spirits, time to buy a still and some barrels I suppose.
-
PaulM
Northampton,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon27 Dec 2017 14:06
Bet house prices in Scotland will go down unless they are next to the border, and ones in England on the border will go up.
How long before the Scots wake up and get rid of widow tw!$%y.:smirk::smirk:
-
ST
South,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon27 Dec 2017 16:12
doesnt seeme to have been comprehensively thought-thru does it 03
-
McWill
scotland,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon27 Dec 2017 17:09
Some Scots are very wide awake and never voted for her or her party of moaning s!$%e stirrers.in the first place... they are a total embarrassment.:speechless:
-
595daytona
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon27 Dec 2017 17:46
Spirits won't be hit because Scotch is a major export industry for Scotland, and I would hazard a guess that the industry has a powerful lobby group working for it at Holyrood.

Cider and beer are seen as the drink of the common classes, and is mostly brewed outside of Scotland.
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon28 Dec 2017 11:33
McWill:
Some Scots are very wide awake and never voted for her or her party of moaning s!$%e stirrers.in the first place... they are a total embarrassment.:speechless:

:thumbup::thumbup:

Small minded controlling f!$%wits

595daytona:
Spirits won't be hit because Scotch is a major export industry for Scotland, and I would hazard a guess that the industry has a powerful lobby group working for it at Holyrood.

Cider and beer are seen as the drink of the common classes, and is mostly brewed outside of Scotland.

Unless it's a own branded (Coop etc) whisky/spirit selling for below apx £12 the calculation ratio over price to alcohol content won't give it an increase.

It appears that it is only beer, cider, and cheaper wine/fortified wine that will be affected.
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
TT600 (00-01)

icon28 Dec 2017 14:54
I'm not bothered, doesn't make any difference to me and it serves them right for voting for the twats in the first place.
-
PaulM
Northampton,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon28 Dec 2017 17:41
Nick:
I'm not bothered, doesn't make any difference to me and it serves them right for voting for the twats in the first place.

Everyone in England thinks the same (unless some on here want to argue for the idea as well) dearer drinks higher taxes does not sound much like heaven to us. :tongueout::tongueout:
-
Baldbloke
Moray,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon28 Dec 2017 17:50
Nick:

Many of us Scots didn’t, and many of us didn’t vote for independence. The SNP don’t seem to appreciate this.

In Scotland we even need to apply for an air rifle licence as an existing FAC/shotgun certificate holder.

I’m just wondering what benefits these twats have brought to Scotland? 40
-
NextRSSPreviousSocial Forums > The Hinckley Arms > Minimum price in Scotland on alcohol
-