Triumph Torque Logo

Tuesday, 12 December 2017 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Sprint ST 2000 won't start :( --- new biker, any suggestions?
Info
Cornwall,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon17 May 2017 13:17
Hi everyone, I also posted this in the Touring section and the guys there suggested I put it in the right place (here!).

So;

I’m new - both to Triumph and the forum. I got my Sprint ST 2000 about 2 weeks ago, it is my first ‘big bike’.

Until now, it has been running great, I’ve done around 150 miles or so. But the weather here has been terrible this last few days, it got wet, and on Sunday I had my first problem. (Koro suggested the soaking might be coincidental on the touring forum BTW): It started (2nd time), ran for a while, then stalled, and wouldn’t start again. Fuel pump primed, headlights worked, starter motor would crank, but no fire.

So yesterday I changed out the spark plugs, squirted what I could with contact cleaner, and swapped the battery with a fully charged (Oxford oximiser) Yuasa, and - HOORAY! - it started first crank. I left it running for a little while and then went to get ready leathers on etc and take it for a ride. When I came back to the bike again, it had the same problem that it had previously: I turn the key and hear the fuel pump prime, I press the starter switch and the starter motor cranks, but the engine doesn’t fire.

I’ve checked the fuses (all OK) and I’ve sprayed the main relay with contact cleaner again. I’m in neutral, pulling on the clutch, and the kill-switch is on ‘run’. I’m not pulling on the throttle whilst cranking. :smile:

As I said in the touring forum, I’m really getting desperate as I ride to work everyday. My little 125 is being collected by buyer tomorrow and I will be looking at a 4 mile walk to the train station every day :sad:

Thanks for your help. I really appreciated being able to look at these forums over the last few days to try to find out more about my bike.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
r1chm
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon17 May 2017 14:24
Is it just when it is hot then that the bother starts? If you leave it for an hour and go back to it does it start ok?
-
duncanwilliams
Cornwall,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon17 May 2017 14:29
r1chm:
Is it just when it is hot then that the bother starts? If you leave it for an hour and go back to it does it start ok?

Sorry my explanation problem wasn't the clearest.

Sadly no -- if I come back to it cold, I get the same problem (cranks, but doesn't fire).
-
r1chm
East Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon17 May 2017 14:48
Oh ok.

Had the bike been stood a while before you bought it? You said the fuel pump primes but if it's stale fuel that could be an issue.

My other suggestion, since you've already changed the spark plugs, would be to check the coils to see if you have a faulty one... I am not entirely sure how you check them but pretty sure Google or someone here could explain...

I'm not the best at diagnosing these types of fault myself, so just trying to throw ideas about...

p.s. I remember my Daytona used to cut out and struggle to start hot or cold when the throttle bodies were out of balance and my IACV was playing up/had split pipes. Could be worth checking those too.

Although it did run pretty rough at idle too, which was a bit of a clue.
-
Gladstone Screwer
taliban town beds,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon17 May 2017 17:13
Were they still fitting crank position sensors that late ? if so could be that playing up.
-
Terry Colley
Sydney,
Australia

Tiger (07->)

icon18 May 2017 00:12
I was going to suggest CPS too although they usually start again after cooling down. Wouldn't hurt to replace it and take it out of the equation. Also take a look at the hoses from the IACV to the inlet ports. Splits, cracks and loose push ons cause all manner of starting/idling/running issues.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon18 May 2017 09:44
First job is to give it a sniff (before spending any more money). Spray some easy start into the airbox and see if it tries to start.

If it does then you have a fuel problem

If it doesn't then its probably an ignition problem.

Post your results here.
-
duncanwilliams
Cornwall,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon18 May 2017 14:52
Thanks everyone. I had a sunny morning today so was able to do some more playing around.

It was very wet around the gas filler on the tank (not sure what you'd call this bit?). I rodded the drainaway with a guitar string, then drained the tank before pulling it off.

I put some seafoam in the tank and the damn thing started first time. Can I chalk this up to water getting into the tank? I'm worried that this won't hold up to the next south west soaking.

Thanks for the advice on the Easy Start. I will grab a can on the weekend. I'm also going to order some replacement coils as a backup. Is there anything else I can do to try to safeguard this against non-starting in the meantime?

Thanks very much again - this forum is a real life saver.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon18 May 2017 17:57
Possible as it is a known problem. Keep that drain clear otherwise it will block to the point of no return and then its a real bugger.
-
Koro
Severn Valley,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T309

icon18 May 2017 19:28
If water did get in it would of course sink to the bottom, so perhaps that caused the starting problem. Let's hope that it doesn't let you down half way across Bodmin Moor!

The coils are pretty expensive things to keep just in case. Mind you, I keep some used ones in my spares box "just in case":smile:
-
duncanwilliams
Cornwall,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon19 May 2017 14:13
Thanks again guys. I'll keep my eye on it!

Bodmin moor tomorrow -- it's running today and got me in to work smooth as a button. Really chuffed with it!
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon19 May 2017 18:22
Of course it could simply be the battery. Does it read 12 volts or more with key in on position.
-
duncanwilliams
Cornwall,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon21 May 2017 22:31
X-Man:
Of course it could simply be the battery. Does it read 12 volts or more with key in on position.

Yes, it does, around 12.5v, though it drops to 11.3 whilst cranking. I don't know much about how to interpret that data and the Haynes book I've got doesn't seem to shed much light either! But a poster on the RAT forum mentioned that the replacement battery I've gone for doesn't have the best CCA, so I guess next time it comes time to swap it out I'll trawl the forum for a recommendation! Bit gutting because the juicier Yuasa was only another tenner but they didn't have any in stock at Halfords when I was down there.

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm still lurking on the page and making the most of all the advice. I did an oil change and swapped out the filter for a new OEM today, following top info here. So far so good!

Cheers 33
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon22 May 2017 09:09
11.3 is only just enough to turn the ECU on. Much less (maybe as little as 0.1v ) and it may well not start although it will still crank.
-
duncanwilliams
Cornwall,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon22 May 2017 13:59
X-Man:
11.3 is only just enough to turn the ECU on. Much less (maybe as little as 0.1v ) and it may well not start although it will still crank.

Crikey. OK, good to know, thank you. I'll bung it on the optimate in the evenings then I guess... loathe to shell out for another new battery this month!
-
Manga
Staffs,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon06 Jun 2017 17:29
If you have another battery then you could test it by connecting them in parallel if it fails to start try that.
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Sprint ST 2000 won't start :( --- new biker, any suggestions?
-