Triumph Torque Logo

Wednesday, 19 December 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Performance Tips & Tricks > Air Box Mod-again!
Info
sevenoaks,kent,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon31 Jan 2002 19:57
Hi guys,I'm fairly new to the the site but reckon it's exellent!I have a '99 black 955i.
Anyway point is,this airbox mod I'm very interested in all the opinions it certainly has generated it's share,however I thought before I take the plunge I'll speak to some "experts" so I spoke to the guy's at Jack Lilley's workshop.Well they agreed entirely with the people at John Wilcox and said basically it's b------t and what you actually what to do is close the drainholes up and extend the air duct hoses into the airbox,to create a pressurized airbox!They also suggested that anyone who reckons the holes theory creates more midrange power is being tricked by the extra induction noise and it's all in the mind!!
so there you are yet another opinion.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
martin brown
birmingham,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

icon31 Jan 2002 20:22
you could always try to get in touch with someone who has the modded air box,and who lives near to you,and try it for yourself,you may be suprised,just a thought!!
-
Bruce Brown
Pittsboro, NC,
USA

Daytona 955i (02)

icon01 Feb 2002 14:33
Leave the airbox alone unless you going to use a dyno for before and after testing.

Example, I assumed the M4 can on my MZ Skorpion race bike made less power than the Dale Walker Holeshot can. Why, because the Holeshot can was louder and a few of the other Skorpion racers had dynoed their bikes with the Holeshot with decent results. However, in December I finally had my bike dynoed at the Back Roads shop. First myth thrown out the window, 87 octane & 93 octane pump gas gave the same readings, and get this, 100 octane race gas gave the same readings too. Second myth, my quieter M4 can made more power and torque all the way up the powerband, compared back to back with a Holeshot can.

Seat of the pants & ear tuning is no replacement for a dyno with a good operator, IMO.

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MuZ Skorpion
AHRMA SOS#919
http://communities.msn.com/BackRoadsRaci...
-
martin brown
birmingham,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

icon01 Feb 2002 15:41
higher octane fuel wont make any difference to power output by itself,it just allows you to run higher compression without the risk of detonation......... which will give you more power!!!
-
P. Nishment
San Francisco,
USA

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon01 Feb 2002 17:33
Here are some observations you might find helpful on this topic by Marc at Factory Pro who also did a custom fuel map for me:

"Took Richard Boardo's '01 955i Daytona with "opened up" airbox with a
K&N replacement air filter and Arrow exhaust system.

Downloaded the high pipe and the low pipe and dynoed/EGA'd.
Ick.

Created new map for the opened up airbox. Ended up changing the fuel map
a lot and then groomed the ignition timing table for best power.
The engine was clean and didn't miss (except at WOT / 2k), but kind of
"off" sounding at high rpm - not crisp - to my ear.

Then - taping up the airbox holes, I started over again.
Once again, neither high or low pipe tune worked exquisitely well, so I
went through the fuel table and roughed in the fuel, then "spot
changed" the ignition map. Made power gains over either map. It was
fine - I wasn't going anywhere last night...........

Wow. The fuel and ignition tuning being secondary (with proper test
equipment and software) and within a tiny bit (.1 to .2 hp) of best
power settings .......

With the holes?
6k = +3-4 true hp (great!)
9k+ = -3-4 true hp (not so great)
(each bike is a bit different, but that's generally going to be the gist
of it)

So - for a bit more midrange at the expense of topend, cut ~10 sq.
inches of holes in your airbox and REMAP.
If you don't custom map the bike - it will feel poorly at low rpm
cruise. As it is, without the airbox, throttle feel is reduced somewhat.
Personally, I like the feel of the unholy airbox at part throttle - on
this bike, it has a "tighter", more responsive feel.
Remapping the stock bike will help, too. With more attention paid to
mapping each bike, you can decrease that 'heavy" feeling throttle
response. (OK - I'm a whiner) and improve smoothness and "snap"."
-
cOsMo
Houston, TX,
USA

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon05 Feb 2002 15:29
My overall riding impressions seem to be consistent with P. Nishment's last post in reference to where gains and reduction to power exists...
By doing the airbox mod + remapping, you are re-shifting your peak output to lower in the rpm range...
Basically... if you ride stoplight to stoplight like Ricky Gadson you would probably prefer the mod... If you ride in the Autobahn and seek top speed, no mod...
I prefer the shorter shifting(9000-9500rpm vs 10500) and powerband lower in rpm range(I don't feel like I'm completely abusing my bike or waking the dead) I also like roll-on response from cruising at speed...
I know fellow riders who prefer revving and being in the stratosphere of their rpm's...

It all boils down to your personal riding preference and style...
-
Silver Triple
SF Bay Area,
USA

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon06 Feb 2002 19:31
For the definitive answer to this thread, there's a whole section on this at Factory Pro's site complete with the dyno run on the EC997 dyno. This is me, Richard Boado, my bike. Go to http://www.factorypro.com and follow the links for MCParts, then to the T5 section. Happy Reading!
-
Mark
Sheffield,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon21 Feb 2002 21:40
Airbox

If any body wants to have play around with their airbox but are worried about cutting/modifying their existing
airbox...I have 2 T595 airboxes which i will sell for £10.00 + postage. Cut em away to your hearts content. But sill
have the original to put back.

Drop a line at [email protected].uk if anyone wants one...

I have been watching this with interest...Cause we race a T5.. Not sure about creating extra air feed...but the pressurised
box idea sound like the right way to go.

Cheers

Mark

Thats £10.00 each !
-
Martin Sweet
Chico, California,
USA

Daytona T595

icon22 Feb 2002 02:17
Hi all! Been away a while, but made time to drop back in!
I was surprised to see debate still going on about the mod.
Let me see if I can bring it to a close, or maybe just throw gasoline on the fire!

If you're interested in dyno charts:
Pick a single dyno and modify to make your results look best on that dyno. But remember:
1) The results on that dyno will never be duplicated on any other dyno because all dyno's are different. I've seen results differ by 10% on dynos of the same make, and if you use different makes, errors only grow.
2) The results on any dyno chart do not reflect reality. By definition, a dyno run is at specific, controlled, artificial conditions. These conditions are not real. Using a dyno to measure differences in airbox flow? Huh? Unless a huge fan (wind tunnel) is being used to simulate the HUGE influence to the flow dynamics within the airbox due to the 100+ mph air coming through the stock chin ducts, the STATIC ambient airflow on the dyno causes a potentially huge error!
When sitting stationary, the holes in the airbox flow better than the stock ducts (since both are in still air) and the holes will draw HOT engine compartment air in, reducing power. When riding at greater than 40 mph (and you will be > 40 mph if at 9000 rpm!), the stock ducts are slightly pressurized and are filling the box with COLD outside air. My experiments with a thermometer proved this.

BUT, if you're interested in improving and enjoying the power your bike makes when you're riding it:
A) Make the modification.
B) Ride the bike.
C) If it makes the bike more enjoyable to ride, leave the mod.
D) If it makes the bike less enjoyable to ride, undo the mod.

Me? I'm into riding, not bragging about my dyno queen...
It feels better, wheelies easier, and picked up almost 10 mph at the end of the front straight. I'm happy.
-
Tony Kostansek
St Louis,
USA

Daytona T595

icon23 Feb 2002 05:50
Airbox Mod

Is there any pictures of the completed airbox mod. I want to try it but am unsure where to drill. Thanks.
-
Oyibo VFX
WinXele & Worldwide,
Belgium

Daytona 955i (02)

icon23 Feb 2002 08:13
Air Box Mod.

See my profile. All pixies are there. Including the tune update>
Can sent them by e-mail if U like.

M0M0
-
Mark
Sheffield,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon23 Feb 2002 22:09
Clutch N throttle....please send your email again...I managed to lose you address..Technology I love it! NOT.

-
Oyibo VFX
WinXele & Worldwide,
Belgium

Daytona 955i (02)

icon24 Feb 2002 07:07

I sent them to you. But if you go to the profile, there is also the e-mail adres. :wink:
You should have them today.

M0M0
-
Doug Harvey
Toronto,
Canada

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon24 Feb 2002 08:33
Sorry for being nosey but I noticed something tonight while trying to email thought the T595 site. There is no way of attaching a file to an email.
-
Martin Sweet
Chico, California,
USA

Daytona T595

icon25 Feb 2002 18:51
There's a picture of my airbox in my profile, too.
The silver tape is a self adhesive pipe insulation. I added it to help seal out hot engine bay air. I cut a relief in the cover panel so it pulls cooler air from the right side.
-
razzledazzle
Melbourne,
Australia

Daytona T595

icon29 Apr 2016 14:18
M0M0:
I sent them to you. But if you go to the profile, there is also the e-mail adres. :wink:
You should have them today.

M0M0

I know this is hell old. But anyone got pics of the air box mod?? All the profile images seem to have gone...
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Performance Tips & Tricks > Air Box Mod-again!
-