Triumph Torque Logo

Monday, 17 December 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > No earth block 98 T595???
Info
Fallston, MD,
USA

Daytona T595

icon01 Nov 2004 00:17
Have a 98 T595 and cannot seem to find the dreaded earth block, due to a severe miss/cut off at 7500 rpm, MIL light comes on/off and ecu goes into limp home mode" Tuneboy does not find any faults/errors, the bike will then start normally after that. Help much appreciated.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon01 Nov 2004 17:04
Its probably there you just have to dig deep. It took me 4 goes to find mine but it was there. Mine is (was) hidden under the top frame rail at the rear of the tank and took some digging out. It is also towards the right hand side of the bike as you sit on it.
-
Paul T
Bristol,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon01 Nov 2004 17:55
My '98 595 hasn't got one.
Check your crank sensor gap.
-
Knobby
Fallston, MD,
USA

Daytona T595

icon02 Nov 2004 03:22
Will do, Maybe the Haynes manual describes the procedure.
Thank you.
-
Tim Challenger
Linz,
Austria

Daytona T595

icon02 Nov 2004 09:26
I have only found two connectors, a grey one for the gameboy, and the white alarm block. I'm buggered if I can find anything else that looks like it could fit the bill.

Some people have posted photos of an "earth block" but that is just the alarm connection block on my '97.
-
Homertrix
Chilly Chilterns,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Tiger Sport

icon02 Nov 2004 11:19
Its a slim white or blue block with lots of black wires coming out of it. All T595 or 995i (at least up to 2002) have one. The slim white block covered in foam is guaranteed to fail, the blue blocks that do not earth directly to the battery are also likely to fail (two types of blue earth block).

You will find it sitting between the battery box and the back of the tank. Sometimes it is strapped out of the way (by a helpful dealer), but it leaves the factory dangling in the airgap underneath the rail that the back of the tank secures to.
-
J-Zeus
London,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon02 Nov 2004 11:53
Must admit that I have never found my earth connector - leading me to listen to urban myths such as
" ...and the early ones never 'ad 'em....."

and thinking there may be some truth in the matter.

-
Paul T
Bristol,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon02 Nov 2004 14:30
If we assume that Knobby's bike does have an earth block, the symptoms he decribes are not indicative of a fault in that area IMHO.

I've had a bloody good look, on more than one occasion, and I couldn't find one.
-
Homertrix
Chilly Chilterns,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Tiger Sport

icon02 Nov 2004 14:38
Sorry Paul, was not contradicting your advice on checking the crank sensor gap.....
-
Paul T
Bristol,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon02 Nov 2004 14:42
No, I know.
But i really did have a good look.
Next service, I'll tear it apart till I find it. Funny thing is, if my bike has got one, it should have given up the ghost by now.
-
Adrian F
Australia

Daytona T595

icon02 Nov 2004 22:02
According to Triumph Aust, the only bikes that were affected by the earth block should fall within vin range 60540 - 72706
-
Tim Challenger
Linz,
Austria

Daytona T595

icon03 Nov 2004 08:15
cheers Stuart, I'll have a closer look soon. If I don't find it I'll post some photos so someone can help me find it. I almost certainly have the original block in there (if there actually *is* one :wink: )
-
Knobby
Fallston, MD,
USA

Daytona T595

icon03 Nov 2004 23:22
Will try to post some pictures also.
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

TT600 (00-01)

icon04 Nov 2004 13:20
Not all of the early ones have an earth block.
-
Paul T
Bristol,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon05 Nov 2004 02:25
That's what I thought, but now they've cast seeds of doubt. 44
-
Adrian F
Australia

Daytona T595

icon05 Nov 2004 02:47
Simple do you fall in the vin range or not?
-
Paul T
Bristol,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon05 Nov 2004 18:44
Not 01
-
Richard
Pickering,
Canada

Daytona T595

icon06 Nov 2004 04:55
Early bikes DO NOT have this earth conector block - which is a large, blue coloured multi-plug with numerous wires going into it.

If you still want to check grounds, look at the bunch of black wires on the alternator mounting bolt. Are they tight and clean? - and if your feeling really brave, cut into the harness which runs from there up in front of the battery. the ground wires are spliced together inside the plastic wrap. Enjoy!!
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon06 Nov 2004 13:15
my early 595 does not have a blue connector block it has a white connector block.
-
Richard
Pickering,
Canada

Daytona T595

icon07 Nov 2004 05:20
Tony, the white connector you mention, does it have about 12 wires going in one side and only a red/white loop on the other side.
If so I think this would be the connector for the Triumph after market alarm system?

PS. Saw

Tony, the white connector you mention, does it have about 12 wires going in one side and only a red/white loop on the other side.
If so I think this would be the connector for the Triumph after market alarm system?

PS. Saw

PS. Saw a thread somewhere, a Ducati page I think, someone having a good gripe about Barnett cluth springs. Big problem they thought. I'll pass it on if I ever find it again.

What the [email protected]# did I do now???

What the [email protected]#$ did I do now???

Sorry. You might at least have credited me with the extra post total???
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 Nov 2004 12:22
It has that as well but the earth block is also white and covered in foam that has nicley melted onto the plastic which is excellent camoflauge for where it sits. The foam beiong a greyish colour covered in oil and congealed, which is why i had trouble finding it. Someone has put the blue connector on top of the white block at some time.

Oh and please do pass it on, cos I have been looking at the spring issue again and find that i have some uprated springs off the other engine and they are waaaaaay stiffer on the rate and diameter of the wire. Time to try them i think once I get the new fairing sorted out.
-
Knobby
Fallston, MD,
USA

Daytona T595

icon07 Nov 2004 19:51
Well back to my original problem cutting out at high rpm, checked/adjusted the crank sensor and still no luck, looks like I need to find a Triumph dealer with a dyno.
-
Richard
Pickering,
Canada

Daytona T595

icon08 Nov 2004 02:22
Sorry Knobby, got so tied up in the earth block thing, forgot about your problem.
A question, does the engine just cut out dead? That would make me think electrical.
Or does it start to sputter, loose power, then gradually cut out? That might be a fuel supply/pressure problem.
If you could run with a pressure guage in the line and get a reading that might at least eliminate half the possible causes.

Ok Tony, If I find that spring thing I'll post it.
-
Bluedogz
Havre de Grace, MD,
USA

Enthusiast

icon08 Nov 2004 04:07
Not sure anyone around us has a dyno, Knobby- I don't think it's necessary anyway. All it would tell you is what you already know- that something happpens at 7500 rpm to kill power.

You didn't mention what resets the problem. I mean, if you just turn the bike off and on does it start and run normally? Forgive my ignorance, but what is "limp-home mode"?

I'd offer to run by and give you a hand, but my input would most likely be limited to what you just heard except I'd have beer. If beer would help in the diagnostic process drop me a line.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon08 Nov 2004 09:17
Buy/borrow a tuneboy and see if its throwing up any errors
-
Bluedogz
Havre de Grace, MD,
USA

Enthusiast

icon08 Nov 2004 11:52
He's got one- no faults showing.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon08 Nov 2004 18:20
Is that when he's restarted or whilst its running rough? If the MIL light comes on (AIUI) then an error will be written. However it may be that cycling the ignition will clear a transient error?
-
Knobby
Fallston, MD,
USA

Daytona T595

icon09 Nov 2004 01:58
no errors present with Tuneboy, MIL light comes on when engine cuts out but does not stay on, beginning to think faulty ecu could be cause, Bluedogz we may need to have some beers you were talking about. anyone know how many usd ecu cost?
-
Adrian F
Australia

Daytona T595

icon09 Nov 2004 03:05
Look elsewhere...your ECU won't have failed...trust me!

Have a look at:

http://www.triumphtorque.com/messageboar...
-
Bluedogz
Havre de Grace, MD,
USA

Enthusiast

icon09 Nov 2004 12:13
Will Tuneboy record a transient error if you're riding with it hooked up? Would that be a way to capture the error/fault code?

Knobby- YHM.
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon09 Nov 2004 23:38
My 509 doesn't have one. Believe me, if it does i would,ve found it!

/media/file/7937.aspx
-
Homertrix
Chilly Chilterns,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Tiger Sport

icon10 Nov 2004 10:53
Yeah but no but yeah but your 509 doesn't have a gearbox either 20
-
Cerberus
Connecticut,
USA

Enthusiast

icon10 Nov 2004 12:04
! low blow Stu... 03

Knobby- if you have a laptop, you could hook it up to the bike, start the datalogger app, put it in a backpack and go for a quick ride.
The data log may give you all the info you need to figure out the issue.

edit: BTW, there is a datalogger app in the tune boy directory, but no shortcut for it in the start menu. Trust me, its there.
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon11 Nov 2004 02:26
I have no gearbox and "I don't like it." Might try and sell it to the only gay in the village...
-
Richard
Pickering,
Canada

Daytona T595

icon11 Nov 2004 02:58
Nope! Trying to see the conection between a broken box and a gay. Cant do it.

Unless your saying he might want to SHIFT into other GEAR . Go inCOGnito and get into a CLUTCH with the local sTRUMPET?

I wouldn't SELEC-TER FORK her, she's a worn out DOG GEAR.

But thats only my oPINION 27
-
Knobby
Fallston, MD,
USA

Daytona T595

icon11 Nov 2004 04:09
That is a great idea Cerberus, will give a try Saturday and see what happens Thank you and everyone for responses, will advise outcome.
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon11 Nov 2004 04:57
I was just playing off Stuart's "Little Britain" reference. It's a telly thing.
-
Sloegin
Schaffhausen,
Switzerland

Enthusiast

icon21 Jul 2012 12:47
X-Man:
It has that as well but the earth block is also white and covered in foam that has nicley melted onto the plastic which is excellent camoflauge for where it sits. The foam beiong a greyish colour covered in oil and congealed, which is why i had trouble finding it. Someone has put the blue connector on top of the white block at some time.

Oh and please do pass it on, cos I have been looking at the spring issue again and find that i have some uprated springs off the other engine and they are waaaaaay stiffer on the rate and diameter of the wire. Time to try them i think once I get the new fairing sorted out.

X-Man et al, I found the white earth block on my 98 T595 and was GIVEN the update kit by my Swiss Dealer, that's what I call bloody service! Now I fit it, the blazer still don't work, so obviously I've cocked it up, but how? I'm a bit unsure about the instruction " if the entire joint box is to be replaced, identify the chassis earth terminal by checking each individual cable in the joint box for continuity between the batter earth eyelet and the terminal. Once identified, remove this cable from the joint ox in addition to the four already removed" phew! I connected a bulb to the battery earth lead and found the connector and removed it, but still no start, but there is a relay clicking away.... Any ideas where I've gone wrong?
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon21 Jul 2012 15:33
Sloegin:
.. but still no start .......

Please give more details of the 'no start'

Does your engine crank but not fire - or simply not crank?
Is your neutral light on?
Do you hear fuel pump prime? (run for ~ 3 scs when you first turn on Ign/Run)
Do your headlights go out when you press the starter?

If headlights go out when you press and hold the starter, but it does not run the starter, look to the clutch switch circuit for issues.
-
waspfarmer
Vancouver Island,
Canada

Enthusiast

icon07 Jul 2015 22:30
My '98 has the old white block. There's no obvious burnt bits, but I can't figure out how it comes apart, or is the white one a one piece?
-
Terry Colley
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon08 Jul 2015 00:35
Wow, that's one heck of an old thread.20
-
Boycie
Winterdown,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Speed Triple T509

icon08 Jul 2015 08:08
waspfarmer:
My '98 has the old white block. There's no obvious burnt bits, but I can't figure out how it comes apart, or is the white one a one piece?

They don't really 'come apart' ... Many have just 'given up' on the earth block and joined the wires together with something more substantial also running a wire direct to the battery
-
jonnycakes
East Lothian,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon29 Sep 2018 21:27
Ah...
I found the thread of the earth block, like a moth to lamp...

so, my block is white with multicoloured wires, as in not all black. one red jump lead in the non-wired end (why), no charring, cos prev owner wisely vaslined the blocks. i checked loom for breaches and shorts, and i just want the earth block IDed and solder that sukka for a battery terminal.

engine light is still on, moth...
-
Boycie
Winterdown,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Speed Triple T509

icon02 Oct 2018 08:29
see other thread ...
-
jonnycakes
East Lothian,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon27 Oct 2018 21:57
Boycie
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > No earth block 98 T595???
-