Triumph Torque Logo

Saturday, 17 November 2018 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Performance Tips & Tricks > take more juice from t595
Info
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon30 Sep 2014 23:01
Hi there.

I have a daytona t595 97 with which I am doing the classic pre 1999 championship.
I'm running with fzr1000, gsxr 750, yzf750, ducati 916, CBR600F, etc. All of them before 1999 lighter than mine.

I need to pull more power from my engine. What to do?
New cams ?,'m afraid to move in advance ....
I'm in 3rd place in the league but wanted more ....
Can you help me!

Thks
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Gladtobebackontwowheels
Dover, Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon01 Oct 2014 07:46
What are you allowed to change?
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon01 Oct 2014 08:42
most every thing except the bore and stroke
:smile:
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon01 Oct 2014 09:51
Change exhaust cam, change to later TB's, get tuneecu and get it on the dyno and get the ignition and fuelling matching changes. Exhaust system (full if you can get one that also gives you more ground clearance). Mod airbox to flow more air hi performance air filter. Modify inlet stacks to move power a bit more where you want it (the ones in the airbox. Port and flow the head. de burr and smooth the TB's. In fact a later '99 head may be the best way to go complete with TB's etc and port and flow that. Increase rev limit to 10,750 (at your risk; some have gone to 11,000) but be aware of the fact that shims can jump from under cams at that kind of speed.

You should be able to get to 120 rwhp if you are prepared to go the whole way and accept that it will not be reliable as a standard engine.

Make sure the cooling system is up to the job and look after the oil changes etc. Watch for known weak points like the clutch springs.

Then look at the suspension if you haven't already. Race rear shock and a fork job at least. Dymag or similar lightweight wheels make a HUGE difference.

If you want to cheat put a later 148bhp engine in it and tune that...:tongueout:
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon02 Oct 2014 14:30
Today, when I start the engine I heard a strange noise. a species of tick tick.
I took the oil and saw some flakes of bronze. My God!!!

I removed the oil sump and was loaded with tiny flakes of bronze.
Already removed the engine, already opened and discovered that the covers of the 1st cylinder connecting rod gave their lives to the creator !!!

The luck is that I have one spare and can quickly assemble the engine.

X-man, I have another cams from an 98 model that i can work with.
you say forward 5 degrees on the exhaust. These 5 degrees will cause the exhaust valves open sooner?
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon02 Oct 2014 16:03
Yes. same overlap though. The change is actually the cam wheel rather than the cam itself. The cam remains the same I believe as far as lift and duration is concerned.
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon03 Oct 2014 08:47
and about oil....
I use INA 10w40 (the old agip) sinth.

what is your recommendation?
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon03 Oct 2014 11:24
Used to use motul 10w40 semi synth. But that was a personal choice rather than a technical one.
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon06 Oct 2014 23:17
joao:
I need to pull more power from my engine. What to do?

Leave it as it is or buy a different bike. PB mag spent roughly the equivalent of the GDP of a small country making their Daytona competitive.

X-Man:
If you want to cheat put a later 148bhp engine in it and tune that...:tongueout:

Nice idea, but it wouldn't exactly be hard to spot. :lol:
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 Oct 2014 09:50
Depending on the class rules it may not matter as long as its a 595 engine. I bet there are some 'interesting' engines in the 916's....it would be pretty hard to spot a 996 or a 955 in there for instance unless someone entered a protest....
-
Chococat
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Street Triple R

icon07 Oct 2014 23:54
Aye, but the later "148"bhp Trumpet engine looks very different externally to the older engines, can't imagine him getting away with it for long, lol.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon08 Oct 2014 09:22
Mind you the head off the later one will fit straight on as will the exhaust and that could give him 120+ bhp at the rear wheel....especially with a bit of fettling and the early later TB's.

Its where most of the extra power was got from I believe.
-
orson cart
Reading,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon11 Oct 2014 09:28
New head on old barrels ? Didn't realise they fitted. .
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon11 Oct 2014 11:01
I'm fairly sure it does but you need to have the later exhaust headers.
-
orson cart
Reading,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon11 Oct 2014 20:13
Hmm sounds like a good idea that. .....40
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon12 Oct 2014 21:50
the good news is that the engine was ready in time for the race.

the bad news is that only hold 9 laps.

what a fantastic rattling noise coming from the engine.....

the mechanic said that the crankshaft was ok and he just change the connecting rod bearings. maybe the crankshaft is out of measurement and he didn't see it.

and now. repair this engine or get a new one?
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon13 Oct 2014 09:50
I wonder if your oil pump is broken; they don't take kindly to bits floating round the engine and are a bit weak. It doesn't take much for the oil pick up pipe filter in the sump to become dislodged and let all kinds of crap into the system and the oil pump is the fist port of call.
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon13 Oct 2014 21:02
at the 3rd lap, the MIL light came on and the bike works normaly but at the low rpm misfire a little.

when I was in the 8th, was making a left turn with the knee down and the engine simply turns off. I do not know how I didn't fall

9th lap, Kabum!!!!!

next week i'll take off the engine and take a look.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon14 Oct 2014 10:22
Ok , maybe its a valve shim that has popped out. Thats almost exactely what happened to me when I lost a valve shim. Except I don't know if a MiL came on because I ran with it disconnected.
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon14 Oct 2014 14:22
oil sump off.
pick up pipe ok and in place. oil pump outerside seems ok to me
No flakes of bronze.

i'll take the valves cover off and see if something wrong

why you run with it disconect? and the wheel sensor can be disconect to?

do you used the 955 map instead?
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon14 Oct 2014 14:44
I ran the whole caboodle off a Vepor aftermarket unit eventually but initially I just removed everything and left the rev counter in place. I never used the cam sensor or wheel speed sensor as I used a later map. I replaced the engine with a 148hp one after cos the class I was running was not subject to year rules. Wish I had got a DSSA really as the SSSA struggled a bit with 136 RWHP.
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon14 Oct 2014 14:52
i can not replace the engine because the engine crankcase should be the same.
So, you said that i can disconect this two sensors and remap with a later map and gain some power?
i'm searching on ebay for some heads and tbs from a later 955, like 2002 or so.

but first 'll see whasap with my engine ( this one was bought in triumphant 3 years ago )
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon14 Oct 2014 16:55
As long as you ahve the later cams in.
-
joao
Portugal,
Portugal

Daytona T595

icon19 Oct 2014 21:33
news!

2 inlet valves fell into the cylinder, 1st piston with a hole on it, conrod with a lot of damage, etc, etc.....

I'll do a complete revision and change all the covers of the crankshaft and connecting rods, open the oil pump to be sure that it'll work ok, bluprinting the head, balance the crankshaft...

i notice that my Dtona crankshaft, doesn't have a complete chamfered oil feed holes, so i'm tempted to do it. What do you think?

chamfered means more oil enter to the crank and conrod bearings...perhaps resulting to a long lasting engine.
-
Steve Leeson
North Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon08 Aug 2015 23:02
Did you ever get your engine rebuilt chap?
Are you racing the t595 again this year?
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Performance Tips & Tricks > take more juice from t595
-