Triumph Torque Logo

Wednesday, 28 June 2017 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Problem with 'ringing' noise coming from engine
Info
Plymouth,
United Kingdom

Daytona 600

icon24 Sep 2013 19:14
I have what can be described as a 'ringing' noise (a rapid ring, ring, ring... noise) coming from the engine after the temperature gets up to around 90C. The bike has only covered around 26k miles on an 04 plate.

The garage thinks it is the cams, but I am not so sure. It has just had an (expensive) oil service done but the problem persists although a little quieter.

The bike is not running very well and cuts out on occasions making it slightly difficult to start.

Any ideas? Is my bike now uneconomical for repair?
:beatup:

Also posted on the Daytona 600/640 forum
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Terry Colley
Sydney,
Australia

Tiger (07->)

icon25 Sep 2013 09:46
MarkbPlym:
.........just had an (expensive) oil service done......

What's "an (expensive) oil service"?

Do you mean the dealer charged you an arm and a leg for a $20 filter and 50 bucks worth of full synth?

It'd be worth running a diagnostic check. I'm guessing you're not familiar with TuneECU or Tuneboy so maybe someone who is, and who lives nearby, might chip in and offer to help. Might be as simple as a TPS reset.
-
MarkbPlym
Plymouth,
United Kingdom

Daytona 600

icon25 Sep 2013 10:27
Hi

Do you mean the dealer charged you an arm and a leg for a $20 filter and 50 bucks worth of full synth?

Close, £5.95 for an oil filter and £42.00 for the synth oil! Wasn't even a main dealer.

I am not at all familiar with the TuneECU or Tuneboy, I will do some research. Thanks for you help:thumbup:
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon25 Sep 2013 11:34
That kind of noise is usually associated with little ends on their way out. They are a bit fragile on these engines....hope I'm wrong...
-
MarkbPlym
Plymouth,
United Kingdom

Daytona 600

icon25 Sep 2013 11:43
Oh, I don't like the sound of that. It sounds like I will need an engine strip down which will be expensive unless I can find a workshop and do it myself...

I should add that the ringing noise is constant and tends to go way when you rev up but then comes back again at tickover. More noticeable when engine is idling.
-
MarkbPlym
Plymouth,
United Kingdom

Daytona 600

icon25 Sep 2013 12:43
I will (hopefully be able to) post a video of the problem here shortly which might help identify the problem...
-
Nick
Birley Edge,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
TT600 (00-01)

icon25 Sep 2013 12:45
MarkbPlym:
£5.95 for an oil filter and £42.00 for the synth oil!

Sounds about right.
-
MarkbPlym
Plymouth,
United Kingdom

Daytona 600

icon25 Sep 2013 16:34
Ok, I have placed a short video with sound (of course) on my Facebook page. Hopefully I am allowed to post the link on this forum. I am keen to try and get to the bottom of this problem.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=711...

Thanks.
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon25 Sep 2013 17:08
unfortunately my hearing isn't what it used to be so its difficult to tell but it does sound suspiciously like little ends to me given the above caveat. Get a stethoscope or a long screwdriver and see if you can pin the noise down a little better with that.
-
MarkbPlym
Plymouth,
United Kingdom

Daytona 600

icon25 Sep 2013 17:21
OK, thanks. My next question is, is it ok to ride the bike with this fault or will it make it worse possibly ending in an engine rebuild?
-
X-Man
North Lincs,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon25 Sep 2013 17:28
If it is little ends then you run the risk a terminal engine damage. TBH I would have a better look before you ride it much....last guy I gave advice to was to ride it and see if it broke; it did big style (after three months of use IIRC)and he ended up needing a new engine but that is what I would do as you may well find a second hand engine cheaper than a rebuild if and when it lets go.Entirely up to you though
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Problem with 'ringing' noise coming from engine
-