Triumph Torque Logo

Sunday, 22 October 2017 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Fuel Tank Blistering/Warping - A Straw Poll
Info
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon13 Sep 2011 05:11
I know, I know this one:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

fill it with fuel.........................................................................:frown:
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
breesem
Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon18 Sep 2011 21:57
I know what I'm doing next weekend - redrilling tank mounts. Has anyone heard of a chemical liner - I'm sure I have but can't find any references now.
-
nickwiz
United Kingdom

Thruxton (04-08)

icon19 Sep 2011 01:57
You guys are now suffering something that has been affecting owners of vintage machines with glass fibre tanks and non ethanol resistant steel tank liners for quite a while now. It means that the ethanol issue is becoming a safety issue in even comparatively modern vehicles. Thats bad for you and us but might in ther long run mean we can do something about this issue instead of just having to suck it up. When ethanol starts affecting cars too then the fuel companies may be forced to stop diluting fuel with ethanol. Or find another less destructive additive.
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon19 Sep 2011 04:45
Lead:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
-
fentible
Gateshead,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T509

icon20 Sep 2011 08:08
breesem:
I know what I'm doing next weekend - redrilling tank mounts. Has anyone heard of a chemical liner - I'm sure I have but can't find any references now.

I looked at this when I first started worrying about ethanol damage and came across this suitable liner from caswell

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxy...

However given the quote from the Triumph manual, in my previous post on this thread, regarding the suitability of their tanks for petrol containing up to 10% ethanol. Can anyone state conclusively that the deformity is due to ethanol based fuels??

According to internet information I can find Tesco use 5% ethanol based fuels and the current UK max unless the fuel is advertised as such seems to be 8%. Well within Triumphs stated limits.
If it can be proved ethanol is causing the deformity then it would seem that Triumph have hung themselves on their own statement. Of course the probability exists that fuel companies are padding out stocks with more than 10% but would they really risk that??

So if its not ethanol then what else could it be I don't want to spend the time, money and effort on future proofing my tanks with a liner if its something else thats causing the deformity

Cheers

Fent
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon20 Sep 2011 13:03
fentible:
breesem:

However given the quote from the Triumph manual, in my previous post on this thread, regarding the suitability of their tanks for petrol containing up to 10% ethanol. Can anyone state conclusively that the deformity is due to ethanol based fuels??

Ducati have the same statement. It may have been valid (or valid enough) based on experience known with ethanol in fuels.

Or the tank is considered to be a consumable item..just lasts a bit longer than a light bulb or oil filter.

However even my lightbulbs are ageing better than the tank. No matter the cause, the symptoms and consequences are what counts.
-
fentible
Gateshead,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T509

icon20 Sep 2011 14:36
Hi ALx

Yes I agree that if the tanks are deforming whatever the cause then Triumph have a case to answer. The thought of the tank as a service replacement item did make me laugh, 6000 oil, 6000 oil filter, 12000 air filter, 30000 tank.

Hower I just wanted to avoid time and expense coating the inside of the tank if ethanol isn't the cause.

cheers

Fent
-
Fretmeister
The Aquaduct?,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon20 Sep 2011 14:41
Germany is to blame for plastic tanks.
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon21 Sep 2011 01:07
fentible:
Hi ALx

Yes I agree that if the tanks are deforming whatever the cause then Triumph have a case to answer. The thought of the tank as a service replacement item did make me laugh, 6000 oil, 6000 oil filter, 12000 air filter, 30000 tank.

Hower I just wanted to avoid time and expense coating the inside of the tank if ethanol isn't the cause.

cheers

Fent

if ethanol isn't the cause, then it's either sunshine, air, cold, heat, earth's rotation. The most likely culprit is something in the fuel that is in contact with the inner surface of the tank.

Instead of coating the tank, at least take measures to minimise/eliminate secondary effects of an expanding tank..ie stress relief. Drill holes or an expanding tank will have nowhere to go except bend/warp.
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon21 Sep 2011 07:36
alx:
...The most likely culprit is something in the fuel that is in contact with the inner surface of the tank.....

It's water - the ethanol is merely the attractant that pulls the water out of the atmosphere. So Ethanol is indirectly the catalyst that creates the issue.
-
nickwiz
United Kingdom

Thruxton (04-08)

icon21 Sep 2011 10:37
So why doesnt plastic warp and degrade when you store water in it? that makes no sense!
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon21 Sep 2011 13:26
nickwiz:
So why doesnt plastic warp and degrade when you store water in it? that makes no sense!

I bet you were that annoying kid at the front of the class.

EDIT: Some homework for you. http://www.mda.state.mn.us/news/publicat...
-
nickwiz
United Kingdom

Thruxton (04-08)

icon21 Sep 2011 16:00
No I was the kid at the back whispering to all the others that the teacher was talking crap :tongueout:

I haven't got time to read that link. Summarise it for me?
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon21 Sep 2011 16:32
Had the tank off the Daytona the other day to access bits beneath. Took the opportunity to examine it for any abnormality - found none - tank fits perfectly into the frame mounts, and the front cover fits the tank perfectly. :grin:
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon21 Sep 2011 16:34
nickwiz:
No I was the kid at the back whispering to all the others that the teacher was talking crap :tongueout:

I haven't got time to read that link. Summarise it for me?

You want me to do your homework? Packet of lollies and we'll see.

Summary: E10 and E20 formulations of petrol/gasoline deform various plastics, including those used in the automotive industries.

eg 10% volume expansion for E10 and e20
-
nickwiz
United Kingdom

Thruxton (04-08)

icon21 Sep 2011 17:38
Thanks. So Its the Ethanol sucking up water and expanding causing the problems? Did I get that right? No Ethanol no sucking up water? So its not water causing the problem as suggested but Ethanol. Which I think was the point I was trying to make. Or was I? Oh bugger I'm confused now!
-
fentible
Gateshead,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T509

icon21 Sep 2011 20:10
Okay Alx thats a wee bit of a generalisation of the summary, below is a list of the plastics that were actually tested in E10 (10% ethanol mix), E20 (20% ethanol mix) and ordinary fuel. Below that is the summary of findings. Now does anyone know which Plastic the Triumph tanks are made of??

Cheers

Fent

ABS Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
PA 6 Polyamide - Nylon 6
PA 66 Polyamide - Nylon 66
PBT Polybutylene Terephthalate
PET Polyethylene Terephthalate (Mylar)
PUR Polyurethane
PVC Polyvinyl Chloride
PEI Polyetherimide (GE Ultem

PA 6, PA 66, PET, and PEI, were compatible with the three fuels. The other four materials, ABS, PUR, PVC, and PBT, were affected by all three fuels to varying degrees.
The ABS specimens failed after less than one week of immersion in all three fuels. The specimens turned to a jelly-like mass in the bottom of the jars. This material was not compatible with any of the fuels. Finally, no automotive or small engine fuel system applications of ABS could be located, quite possibly due to its incompatibility with fuel.

In each case with PVC, PUR, and PBT both E10 and E20 caused large enough changes to raise a concern. Because of this, these materials would be a poor choice for use with either E10 or E20. Finally, no fuel system components made of either PUR or PVC could be located.
Different degrees of discoloration were observed in many of the other test samples, slight yellowing of plastics occurred on a few samples with E20 causing more yellowing. Samples were marked with an engraver for identification purposes. All can still be easily read with the exception of the PUR sample immersed in E20. Discoloration does not mean a failure in an automotive fuel system component
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon21 Sep 2011 20:15
Now does anyone know which Plastic the Triumph tanks are made of??

I asked that very question ages ago since it is somewhat, er, relevant to this issue! We still don't know. :grin:
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon21 Sep 2011 22:00
PA6

Note that the test says nothing about water
- fresh gas with no water absorption in the alcohol = no issue (which is what test found)
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon22 Sep 2011 02:22
PA6 for the tanks. Note the report states "compatible" without defining what that means, apart from observing there's not much other literature to go on. Some of the literature also refers to using synthetic ethanol..lab studies do not always equate to real-world experiences, as many Ducati owners can attest to.

Perhaps the conclusive "significantly different" is the measure of compatibility..and industry standards.

For example, PA6 (delta-volume and delta-mass) when exposed to either E10 or E20 (almost the same amount) was increased by around 10%.

10% volume change may be acceptable for some applications but that's a problem where that expansion occurs between constrained mounts, joints or threaded components.

eg. experiences by Yamaha with fuel filters on outboard motors..only way to change the filter is to bung the module in a freezer as the threads have seized.

I think the tanks are not just bung-PA6-in-a-mould but are layered with various PA6 concoctions/grades according to function (eg the PA6 on the outer/paint side is different from the PA6 on the inner/fuel side).

PA6 is supplied by manufacturers in various grades according to function.

eg. some BASF grades:- http://iwww.plasticsportal.com/products/...
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon22 Sep 2011 03:10
Again, the critical component is the water - the 'aggressive' alcohol blend in that paper contained total water by volume of <0.1%.
One critical factor of water in E10 is that it will phase separate at levels of 0.5% at ~ 50 deg F and the alcohol/water will no longer be in a homogeneous mix and will settle out into distinct layers at the bottom of the tank. (higher temps will actually support more water in suspension, lower temps will be less - note that the controlled environment was at a whopping 55C)
The tests only prove what happens with a relatively water-free sample - real life situation, especially in high humidity & cooler environments (i.e. winter!) lead to real problems with the alcohol literally wicking the water from the air and leading to the phase separation.
They need to repeat their tests with higher water content & see what happens then!!!
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon23 Sep 2011 02:08
This is what phase separated E10 gas looks like:

I just pulled this sample from my lawn tractor - which ran like crap last time I used it. Pretty obvious why!!

You should be able to clearly see the delineation between the ethanol/water at the bottom and the (cloudy) gas above it.
(after it was left for a while the cloudiness dissipated - obviously was more water that eventually sunk to the bottom)

http://www.triumphtorque.com/media/file/...

There are products which help prevent phase-separation from occurring - K100 is a popular preventive product - http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/main.ht...
But it will not reverse the process once the gas has separated.

There is only one product that will reverse - HydroBurn from Cim-Tek.
CimTek actually provides products to the gasoline industry - filters etc.
http://www.cim-tek.com/petroleum/additiv...

Here are some videos that show how the HydroBurn and their Industrial equivalent PSR are effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XljQdR-av...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWl8odEwH...

Here's a post-script:

I went back out & pulled the hose off the tank feed to the carb and drained some gas directly to the bottle.
This is all obviously from the bottom of the tank - astonishing!

http://www.triumphtorque.com/media/file/...
-
fentible
Gateshead,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T509

icon23 Sep 2011 08:37
Would this then indicate that bikes which stand for lengthy periods with ethanol blended fuels in their tanks are going to be more prone to the dimensional changes or blistering experienced by some owners than those which are used regularly??

Cheers

Fent
-
nickwiz
United Kingdom

Thruxton (04-08)

icon23 Sep 2011 10:58
I reckon that could be true. Moral of the tale. Drain the tank if you only ride on sunny days or if you are laying the bike up for extended periods. If that much water is getting into tanks we're going to see rust problems on relatively new metal tanks soon I reckon.

This is fascinating actualy. IO knew there was an ethanol problem but not why.
-
Ian Newham
Notts / Derby,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon23 Sep 2011 13:06
Wow. Thanks for a very graphic demonstration.

The last time i swapped the fuel filter on my sprint I was amazed that a mugful of water had got in through the filler cap, after all even with the drain blocked it only gets in when you open the cap. This appears to explain where that mugful came from

nickwiz:
If that much water is getting into tanks we're going to see rust problems on relatively new metal tanks soon I reckon.

I've read some american accounts of that already, they have more ethanol in fuel than us.

Its certainly going to mean future 'barn-finds' will need new tanks
-
Anthony Lovell
North Wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Tiger Explorer

icon23 Sep 2011 15:31
Would probably explain why mine is fine, fuel never stays in long enough to absorb any water
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon23 Sep 2011 18:47
fentible:
Would this then indicate that bikes which stand for lengthy periods with ethanol blended fuels in their tanks are going to be more prone to the dimensional changes or blistering experienced by some owners than those which are used regularly??

Exactly. Some of the biggest problems are seen on snowmobiles in N.US - three reasons, they sit for about 8 months, there is high humidity and the temperature is obviously very low in Winter. At low temp the fuel will hold less than half the water that it would in warm summer temps and so separates with much less.
Boats are also big issue - again the seasonal use (opposite of course) and the obvious access to water!

Anthony Lovell:
Would probably explain why mine is fine, fuel never stays in long enough to absorb any water

Definitely! - if the has is turned over regularly, that is the best prevention. And of course if you don't use Ethanol Gas to begin with!!! :lol:

nickwiz:
... If that much water is getting into tanks we're going to see rust problems on relatively new metal tanks soon I reckon...

Recognize that if you do get separation, the water goes to the bottom.
You need two things for rust - water & oxygen. OK - three things - metal too! :lol: There's no oxygen so rust should no be a huge issue.
-
Pump 19
Chichester,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon24 Sep 2011 09:16
Ok, Im learning a lot from this, BUT I dont understand how the water separation caused by Ethanol is causing the deformations in the tanks?
The sun is out and Im going to be working in the garage today, so Ill try and take some pictures of the ripples that are appearing in both my tanks.
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon24 Sep 2011 11:47
Pump 19:
Ok, Im learning a lot from this, BUT I dont understand how the water separation caused by Ethanol is causing the deformations in the tanks?

ethanol attracts water.

plastic absorbs water

plastic expands.

Deformations occur depending on the form of the plastic. Plastic can also deform if constrained by fixed mounts and trying to expand due to water.
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon24 Sep 2011 16:00
alx:

ethanol attracts water.

plastic absorbs water

plastic expands.....

Succinct - and explains perfectly! :thumbup: :thumbup:
-
Homertrix
Chilly Chilterns,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Premier Member
Tiger Sport

icon24 Sep 2011 20:20
Once it's expanded, can it be reversed?
-
ianleeds
West Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon24 Sep 2011 21:11
I have used this in the past while my bike has been laid up.
http://www.wurth.co.uk/product-0893559.p...
Added to the last tankful before storage....but only used it with metal tanks. It did what it said on the tin and no gumming of the carbs. Bike ran sweet as well.
I will check with Wurth to see if it is suitable for plastic tanks and report back :thumbup:
-
Homertrix
Chilly Chilterns,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Premier Member
Tiger Sport

icon24 Sep 2011 22:57
http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/Storewi...
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon25 Sep 2011 00:02
The K100 will definitely help prevent phase separation - if it has already happened the only product that will reverse it is Cim-Tek HydoBurn
K100 will not recombine the Ethanol/water into solution.

i.e. in order to be sure that there is not any separated water in the bottom of the tank before you start using something like K100 product, the only alternative other than HydroBurn is to drain & dry first, before starting again with fresh gas & treatment additive.

The only thing I am not clear about in this regard is with the water, as long as it remains in suspension (with or without additive), how does that affect the impact on the PA6 tank? These products are designed just to ensure the water is carried through the combustion process, not designed for the 'protection' of the plastic tank (which is not even a consideration for them generally)
You might expect though, that as long as the water does not separate out into a concentrated pool, that it's dispersal throughout the gas would limit its contact area?
-
Alfie Noakes
Local,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon29 Sep 2011 14:10
I'm thinking of doing all my major servicing over winter this year including valves etc, so will probably have the tank off for a long while.

Is the warping also noticed when off the bike when its no longer held in position by the mounts?

Just wondering on the best way to store it, will drain all the old fuel out of course.
-
Homertrix
Chilly Chilterns,
United Kingdom

Site Moderator
Premier Member
Tiger Sport

icon29 Sep 2011 15:04
Mine was off tank (completely empty) last winter as it had gone off for re-spray. Fitted back on like a glove.
-
D'Ecosse
Pleasanton CA,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon29 Sep 2011 15:53
D'Ecosse:
The K100 will definitely help prevent phase separation - if it has already happened the only product that will reverse it is Cim-Tek HydoBurn
K100 will not recombine the Ethanol/water into solution....

After corresponding with K100, it now seems that K100 will also reverse Phase Separation that has already occurred - so above statement is incorrect. I originally attributed that to a (2 year old) forum post by their former President declaring as such and the web-site also states same.
Current President states that in dose of 3x K100 to displaced water will combine with the water and allow the alcohol to go back into solution. The web-site has yet to be updated on this feature (in the FAQ)
-
Ballspeed
Bucks,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

icon03 Oct 2011 13:10
My '99 Speed Triple has 2 large blisters either side of the tank and 1 small blister near filler cap. The rear of the tank has also expanded width ways. Spoils the whole look of the bike.
-
William Kidd
Southern Indiana,
USA

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon13 Oct 2011 05:39
06 955i Daytona. Noticed a small bump in the tank 2 years ago (about 1:00, 6" from the fuel fill assy.) Now it is a pronounced, round raised area about an inch across (lovely on Jet Black). Another zit has recently formed at 9:00, 3" from the filler.
Pretty much filled the tank with Shell 89 octane from the same station since new.
IIRC from my plastics class, nylon is a very hygroscopic plastic. This why you can dye nylon with water based clothing dyes.

Wonder if an 07 S3 STEEL tank will fit the Tona?
-
Adrian F
Australia

Daytona T595

icon13 Oct 2011 05:58
Settlement reached

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index....

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index....
-
alex phillips
london,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T509

icon13 Oct 2011 09:12
For the record then My 1997 T509 with 60,000 miles doesnt show any signs of deteriation at all.
This bike is used almost every week so is generally refueled once a week.
Its is getting old now though and is becoming my second bike.
So this fuel thing is something to watch.
Thanks to everyone above for all that Knowledge.
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon13 Oct 2011 18:00
Just tried some Hydroburn in mine ( cap full), as it can sit for weeks, if not a couple or three months in the depths of a snowy LI winter, ran the tank dry,( ran out 50 metres from the petrol station:frown::frown:) so any water in there MUST of combusted, got 5.2 US gallons in her, for 278 miles......

The we ( Triumph owners) need a class action law suit, too....surely, given the Ducati settlement, any future owners claiming under similar, if not identical circumstances would have lots of 'ammo'........????
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon13 Oct 2011 18:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egslC4_p_...
-
William Kidd
Southern Indiana,
USA

Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon27 Jan 2013 06:42
I know this is a thread resurection but......
I finally got my dealer to submit a post waranty claim for my blistering and swollen 06 Daytona fuel tank. Triumph N.A. denied the claim but Triumph U.K. ganted it! I now have a new Jet Black tank!
WK
-
Tank
Wales,
United Kingdom

icon22 Mar 2013 17:48
Both my bikes have stood for almost 8 months due to illness (me ill not bikes) both have issues with petrol tanks
- 1999 speed triple, distorted and paint plisters
- mz skorpion sport (dont laugh xt 660 single in it) minor distortion and lot less bloisters than the triumph

Rang triumph technical to ask if they have issues with fuel attcking the tank and they stated they have no issues with their tanks mmmmm

my triple is deformed and the paint had blistered badly about 200 3mm to 5mm diameter blisters.

is the tank still usable?
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon22 Mar 2013 20:15
This whole issue is so strange - lots of folks have had problems - and yet some haven't. My '99 Dayto's tank is absolutely fine. For the last couple of years, since the ethanol issue surfaced, I have used only 97 octane fuel, which, for most areas of the UK, contains no ethanol.
-
nickwiz
United Kingdom

Thruxton (04-08)

icon24 Mar 2013 00:34
Put s!$%ty Ethanol petrol in it. We haven't got a choice but to mistreat our tanks!
-
Tank
Wales,
United Kingdom

icon24 Mar 2013 12:06
Andreas - I normally use higher RON fuel, not sure what I left in it.

Problem arrises when fuel if left to stand in the tank, it actually creates misture, the plastic tank then absorbs the moisture from the inside and leaches out throught the painted side which then blisters, wosrt case tank deforms :cry:

Metal tanks sufffer with corrosion, so leasson from this is if bike to be left for winter period or more drain the fuel out

Not happy - someone should be accountable for this design flaw. Blood hippies demanding these fuels and goverment for rolling over o the minority rant rant :beatup:
-
Bruce
Manchester, CT,
USA

Speed Triple 1050

icon27 Mar 2013 15:07
I had my '01 for 8 years, and the tank on it progressively distorted and became harder to fit back onto the frame, most noticeably in the last 3-4 years I owned the bike.

I just bought a '12 model last week. I will drop in this stuff when it is wintered up: http://mystarbrite.com/startron/content/...

But mostly I am glad to have a bike with a metal tank again.
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon27 Mar 2013 15:27
andreas:
This whole issue is so strange - lots of folks have had problems - and yet some haven't. My '99 Dayto's tank is absolutely fine. For the last couple of years, since the ethanol issue surfaced, I have used only 97 octane fuel, which, for most areas of the UK, contains no ethanol.

Whilst I haven't had blistering, I've certainly had dimensional changes in the tank. For example, have had to elongate the holes for the front cowl and adjust the mounting holes at the front.

/media/file/82561.aspx

Some of the warping issues may arise from induced stresses by constraining the tank to the original mounting points. Having had the bike since 2000, it certainly was never hard to get the cowl or tank back on back then.
-
  Prev PageNext Page
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Fuel Tank Blistering/Warping - A Straw Poll
-