Triumph Torque Logo

Tuesday, 22 August 2017 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Fuel Tank Blistering/Warping - A Straw Poll
Info
Houston,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon06 Sep 2011 20:14
Prompted by last weeks article in MCN concerning ethanol in fuel I'd like to guage the extent of the problem affecting Triumph fuel tanks and any issues regarding the fuel delivery systems.

My 97 model T595 has warping along the lower edge of the fuel tank and patches of small blisters. The fuel tank was replaced in 2000 after an accident and no special precautions were taken, ie draining the system over the winter. Up till this year the finish was flawless.

Ultimately I'd like to establish for definite whether ethanol in fuel is the culprit or whether another problem such as a manufacturing flaw, for instance, may be to blame.

My concern is that at more than £500 a pop, if the problem worsens then an economic repair would not be possible and the ultimate future of the T5 would be bleak.

Please spread the word round the forum, the more replies the better.

Thank you all in advance. Gus

PS Keep the frivolities for other forums, ta! :smile:
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon06 Sep 2011 20:50
Mine.......
blistered a very very small amount, more like it is 'pushing' the stickers up slightly, also expanded quite a lot fore and aft, enough that it touches the headstock upon assembly.

if it gets worse I MIGHT complain to Triumph USA, as surely barring misuse and accidents the vehicles fuel tank should be usable, and re installable on the vehicle, safely, easily, for a minimum of ten years????

yes, we have 10% ethanol in fuel here, noticed it for at least 5 years......
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon06 Sep 2011 21:33
'99 Daytona 955i.

No blistering or cosmetic issues but the fuel tank has deformed slightly (lengthened and widened at the front).

I've had to create new mounting holes in the frame lugs at the front.

/media/file/82561.aspx

Also elongated the holes in the forward tank cowl so it will fit without swearing and cursing.

Had ethanol fuel here in Oz (max 10%) for maybe 6-8 years.
-
~EARL~
gods country wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon06 Sep 2011 22:18
Never had a problem with mine always left fuel in over winter, time will tell on the 1050
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 Sep 2011 08:39
'99 Daytona 955i - no tank problems whatsoever - I do use 97/98 octane fuel - dunno if that would make any difference? :grin:
-
Rob NMTB
Redditch,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon07 Sep 2011 08:50
Had 2 Triumph's.
An '01 Sprint and an '06 Sprint.

No trouble with either (both plastic tanks)
-
Ian Newham
Notts / Derby,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 Sep 2011 12:47
2001 RS - tank had expanded lengthways but still goes back on with a little jiggling. No blistering though.
-
breesem
Kent,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon07 Sep 2011 14:35
I had probmlems with my original tank (98 T595). It bowed out on one side meaning it was less concave than the other side. It also expanded and twisted so it didn't sit in the frame properly and I couldn't get the tank cowl back on. In the end I bought another tank of ebay (after checking it was true). There are other threads on this fab forum about similar problems and the consensus seems to be it's an ethanol related problem. I have read about coatings that can be applied to the inside but I haven't done that much research as of yet. If anyone know about these I'd be keen to hear their views.
-
Christopher
Somerrrset,
United Kingdom

Sprint RS (00-01)

icon07 Sep 2011 15:39
Ian Newham:
2001 RS - tank had expanded lengthways but still goes back on with a little jiggling. No blistering though.

The same with my 2001 RS. The tank seems to have stretched a cm or two. I have always used standard unleaded since buying the bike in November 2001. The fuel is left in the tank over winter when the bike is laid up although I do try and start the bike most weekends and ride it round the garage yard.
-
Alfie Noakes
Local,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon07 Sep 2011 15:59
No blistering to my 2001 955, but the tank is warped slightly to the one side.

I haven't had to re-drill but it does take a good amount of pushing to locate the bolts.

I haven't put this down to ethanol though, just the fact its a plastic tank and will deform more over the years, especially if off the bike for any length of time.
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 Sep 2011 18:55
Could there be residual inbuilt stresses from the original moulding process that gradually unravel over time? :grin:
-
StevesTBS
Leeds,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 Sep 2011 19:28
Ian Newham:

I also had a 2001 RS - the tank had exactly the same problem
-
D-rock
Derbyshire,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona T595

icon07 Sep 2011 23:12
My '98 T595 tank is rippling very slightly along the lower edges, particularly the left hand side.
My mate's had a problem with the tank on his early Tiger.
-
Pump 19
Chichester,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon08 Sep 2011 15:53
Ive got a 2007 SprintST1050 and a 2004 955i speed triple.
Both have plastic tanks.

The tank on the speed triple was replaced with a brand new tank from Jack Lilley three years ago, so I don't believe that anyone can suggest that age has anything to do with what's happened to either tank with them being four and three years old respectively.

The speed triple tank appears to have elongated a bit and is a pig to fit back on, although it does go.

But the more worrying thing I have noticed is inside both of them.
If you open the filler cap on both tanks and look inside at the bottom of the tank, the floor has visibly rippled. But its not random ripples, there is a clear indentation and rippled rings around the exact spot the fuel hits when you put the filler gun in and pull the trigger.

The bottom of the tank has become shaped exactly where the fuel hits it and rippled outwards from that point.
Ill see if I can get a photo of it and post it up, but the fact that both tanks have done exactly the same thing is of some concern to me.

If my tanks become unusable due to this, who is at fault?
The fuel company? I know Ducati suffer the same issue and there has been some legal action between ducati and I think Esso?
I dont know what the outcome was or if that is still ongoing.

Its worth looking at the inside bottom of your tanks to see if anyone else has this issue.
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon08 Sep 2011 17:31
breesem:
I had probmlems with my original tank (98 T595). It bowed out on one side meaning it was less concave than the other side. It also expanded and twisted so it didn't sit in the frame properly and I couldn't get the tank cowl back on.....

I wonder if the distortions along the sides are secondary effects of the tank elongation.

If the tank is elongating then there would be bending stresses along the sides unless the elongation is accommodated for by moving the mounting holes (as per my pic above).

I haven't seen any signs of bubbling or deformity along the sides (being the weakest/thinnest part of the tank), maybe because of relieving the stresses by extending the mounting holes.
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon08 Sep 2011 19:07
Surely the manufacturers should sue the petrol companies, and pass the savings on to us, in the form of reduced new tank prices......??

or am I dreaming again.......
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon08 Sep 2011 19:20
Frank Jones:
Surely the manufacturers should sue the petrol companies, and pass the savings on to us, in the form of reduced new tank prices......??

or am I dreaming again.......

Yep..apart from the legal aspects that the aggrieved party is the mug with the dud tank (Triumph do not own the tank).
-
Pump 19
Chichester,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon09 Sep 2011 09:51
No. but they are aware of the issue, of that I am certain. Yet they took £500 off me for a new tank and sold me a new nylon tank knowing that it was going to have issues with ethanol additives in fuel.

Surely that falls under the sale of goods act or something
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon09 Sep 2011 10:04
Pump 19:
No. but they are aware of the issue, of that I am certain. Yet they took £500 off me for a new tank and sold me a new nylon tank knowing that it was going to have issues with ethanol additives in fuel.

Surely that falls under the sale of goods act or something

Given differing legislative frameworks, I can only comment in broad generalities.

Triumph haven't necessarily incurred a financial loss by selling the end user a replacement fuel tank (thus no grounds for a lawsuit if no financial loss).

Triumph didn't purchase the supposed faulty fuel.

Triumph don't own the damaged fuel tank.

Only individuals (ie the consumer) is protected by Fair Trading/Sale Of Goods etc.

Triumph can't take action on behalf of the consumer.

If a consumer took legal action against Triumph for the faulty fuel tank, it would then be _possible_ for Triumph to join a fuel company in the proceedings.

Probably a topic for another thread as this legal discussion would swamp the intent of this thread to gather some anecdotal background to the phenomena of warping plastic fuel tanks.
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon09 Sep 2011 10:32
Right - we're all saying 'plastic' - but does anyone actually know exactly what the material is?
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon09 Sep 2011 11:09
Could be polycarbonate or some form of nylon.

Here's a link to discussion about the Ducati class action lawsuit in the US.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...

and..Preliminary Settlement

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showt...

Apparently no change to the material..just swapping in tanks for longer. Need a better engineering fix than that.
-
Pump 19
Chichester,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon09 Sep 2011 12:48
andreas:
Right - we're all saying 'plastic' - but does anyone actually know exactly what the material is?

Its some kind of nylon, but I dont know the exact type.

The preliminary settlement makes interesting reading.

So warranty for tanks is extended to 5 years from the date of original purchase.
But what about bikes 6 years old or more?
And what about bikes are 6 years old but have three year old tanks on them?

And also, of most interest to me, it only covers cosmetic tank issues.
What about tanks like mine that show no blistering, no flaking but are rippling alarmingly inside and on the bottom?
I'm going to roll both bikes out the garage at the weekend and take some pictures looking into the filler cap on both bikes.
-
Strongy
Cumbria,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon09 Sep 2011 12:48
my 06 daytona tank has elongated a bit, to the point where getting the bolts on is becoming difficult. when i first got the bike i thought it had been subjected to a head on smack that had bent the headstock.

my 06 speed triple has no probs whatsover
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon09 Sep 2011 16:08
Surely, if the vehicles petrol Tank can no longer be adequately and safely secured to the vehicle,using the original fittings, through no 'damage' done to it by the owner, then isn't that a very serious safety issue.......at least in most country's?????.

On my Tank I could of easily of riden around with either the front bolt secured, or the rear two bolts, but NOT front and rear at the same time, since they don't really line up any more...

Surely, at least in the UK a potential MOT failure?????
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon09 Sep 2011 16:33
See what MOT have to say about it.
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon09 Sep 2011 20:29
alx:

Odds are yer average tester wouldn't spot it - and I'm not blaming them for that!
-
Strongy
Cumbria,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon09 Sep 2011 20:52
andreas:
alx:

Odds are yer average tester wouldn't spot it - and I'm not blaming them for that!

reckon Alx may mean Ministry Of Transport
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon09 Sep 2011 20:58
Yup, I realised that. Tks anyway! :grin:
-
Ben
Madison,Ct.,
USA

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

icon10 Sep 2011 14:21
The tank on my '01 has a bulge on the LH side, and the front cowl is a pita but no blistering.
-
thegreasynipple
Kent,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple 1050

icon10 Sep 2011 14:42
My tank on my '98 speedy has elongated and I have blisters along the bottom, they appeared after a winter stored with fuel in the tank but the tank has been "warped" ever since I owned it. I have tryed a cheap fix using self adhesive carbon strips, it looked s%*t and I a got a right ribbin' on here over it :lol: got a bagster tank cover off of flea bay in the end and guess what? the tank has expanded so much the bloody thing doesn't fit properly. Anyway, thought I would add my tuppence worth, love Triumphs me :lol: :lol: :lol:
-
Gus Von Gee
Houston,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon10 Sep 2011 15:38
Thanks for all the responses so far, keep 'em coming!

I'd forgotten about the deformation issue too. I also had to use a file to adjust all the holes to get the tank and cowl to fit more easily.

The main issues seem to be:

Cosmetic: No one wants their pride and joy to look deformed. Or the tank for that matter:smile:

Safety: Is the tank likely to split, potentially causing a fireball!

Long Term: Even tank replacement isn't a cure if the tank is made from the same material...

We should start getting some photo evidence too...
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon10 Sep 2011 16:01
Perusing the Ducati Class Action, it would appear that perhaps the Triumph experience is less severe.

1. Deformations take longer to evolve.

(different tank material?)

2. The deformations cause less of a safety impact. (eg fuel does not start leaking, handlebars do not contact, tanks do not fall off mounting points).

Some Ducati cases evolve in a couple of thousand miles and only a handlful of years.

Nonetheless..I expect an implied warranty that the tank will be fit for purpose and last as long as other major components such as the frame.
-
lord stuart
derbyshire,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon11 Sep 2011 11:52
ok.. so its obvius the fuel is to blame for these tank issues.. the fuel companies didnt want to add it,, apparently.. and took the government to the high courts to stop ethonol being added.. but they were over ruled, so its the government who is to blame..
but now the fuel companies know the problems,, but dont accept any responsibillity for it.

as a single person, we have no chance of doing anything about it,, but maybe as a collective,, we could do. :thumbup:
if there is a damm good lawyer on this forum.. maybe we all get together and chip in for cost`s for court day rentals and so on,, and attack the fuel companies as a collective, :thumbup:
-
Pump 19
Chichester,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (05->)

icon11 Sep 2011 14:05
I suspect the court and legal costs for this would be something that we would not be able to sustain long enough to get even a fraction of the way through the court case, and the big companies know this.
Its a tried and tested tactic in court.

Case adjourned on a technicality, resume at a later date after the plaintiff has done more research etc...
Rinse and repeat for a few years untill the little man or collective runs out of funds.

Personaly I think its a perfectly valid claim and SOMEONE should be to blame and offer us a solution such as a replacement tank made from steel for instance.

However, the reality is a company the size of ducati with massive legal funds cant do anything, what chance does the customer have...
-
Lou Jones
Morro Bay, CA,
USA

Premier Member
Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon11 Sep 2011 14:58
02 Speed Triple with around 11K miles....as far as I know the fuel tank is the original, and there isn't any sort of warpage or bubbling of paint. I run the factory recommended 89 octane fuel, but ride it all the time, so the fuel is run through often, and not sitting around. :thumbup:
-
Loonytoon
Southampton,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon11 Sep 2011 20:07
Cant pass comment on my previous bikes as I never looked that closely at them:blush:

In addition, its all well and good taking photos, keeping notes etc but its very rare that us motorbycycleists 77 actually get heard due to the relative miniority of us.

However, in this day and age, arn't many car fuel tanks also "plastic" and as such prone to the same issues? As cars tanks are never really seen - as they are neatly tucked out of sight - is there a potential larger issue if plastic and ethenal are not suited?

In the meantime, I suggest not smoking round the back of your cars.....
-
Ian Newham
Notts / Derby,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon11 Sep 2011 21:23
Nobody will pay any attention to us however AIUI its been a bigger issue in the USA where they have more ethanol, 10 or 15% and lots of people are making noises. Classic vehicle owners, modern car owners, boats, even lawnmowers and chainsaws. Just for once their propensity for litigation might be a good thing.

OTOH the farming lobby does seem to be bloody strong, after all this has got f!$% all to do with saving the environment, its just guaranteeing subsidies/high prices for corn farmers :frown:
-
oldndumb
Cape Coral,
USA

Sprint ST (05->)

icon11 Sep 2011 23:27
I apologize if this has been posted previously. I can usually figure things out, but rarely remember doing it. :smile:

http://deformedfueltanks.com/

Bottom line, Triumph plastic tanks were made by Acerbis using PA 6 Polyamide, or Nylon for us common folk. Nylon is regarded as resistant to gasoline/petrol and most other solvents. Apparently ethanol, and phase separation were not considered, and our government entities never considered anyone would be using PA 6 Nylon tanks.

Speculation can abound on various stress causes, etc. but those factors are all secondary to the Ethanol affect.

However, I have seen examples of severe deformation on the internet (pics) but have not seen such extremes first hand, and I have examined at least ten examples. But, I will say, at the expense of sounding hyper critical, I have not seen a tank from 06 or older that I could not find an Ethanol induced deformation, albeit minor and not obvious to the owners.

And, on a related note, I just looked at a three year old repaint on a tank that had extreme paint adhesion failures. The paint was a professional application using high grade supplies and materials, and none of the other bits had the noted defect. Consensus was that tank deformations was the cause.

Some may disagree, but I feel that Triumph owes warranty repairs for those units still in the warranty period. In the States, the fuel tank is included in the Emissions warranty clause which extends the warranty for emissions items to 5 years or 18,641 miles, whichever occurs first. Most of the time a dealer needs to be reminded of that by showing them the warranty booklet. It gladdens my heart to think that the lawyer who inserted the mileage limit probably got a feather in his cap for that. Guess where the feather should have gone. :frown:
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon12 Sep 2011 01:42
oldndumb:
.... In the States, the fuel tank is included in the Emissions warranty clause which extends the warranty for emissions items to 5 years or 18,641 miles, whichever occurs first. ...

18641 miles ..odd number although it converts to 30,000 km.

So that number is likely derived from Europe/metric regulation? Doesn't appear to be a number dreamed up stateside.
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon12 Sep 2011 02:52
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb...

"
The newest commercial PA 6 grade offering permeation resistance is Technyl C 536XT, says Gary Kachin, market development manager. The first monolayer applications went into full production in Europe in 2007--a motorcycle gas tank and a tank for a moped made for the U.S. The grades for multilayer applications are still in testing and will probably take several years to qualify since they are for automotive. Kachin notes that Rhodia hasn't formally commercialized any of these new materials.

"We're positioning these products for automotive and nonautomotive markets," Kachin says. He reports that Rhodia is working with a major global manufacturer of automotive fuel tanks to qualify one of the PA 6 grades as a barrier layer, but adds, "It's going to take a long time to replace EVOH in automotive." (Kachin declines to identify the company.)
"

and http://www.rhodia.com/en/news_center/new...

Acerbis is possibly the "major global manufacturer", based in Europe.

New plastics, specifically tested for ethanol only becoming available within the last 2-3 years. I guess the earlier generation of PA6's used an EVOH barrier layer.

PA6 does absorb moisture, presumably an ethanol fuel mix can contain higher amounts of water.

The rippling effect may be due to the expansion of the fuel tanks in a dimensionally constrained environment combined with a markedly lower strength as temperatures raise. (eg. flexural strength drops from around 45 MPa @ 23 deg C to 20 MPa @ 65 degrees C.).

Source: BASF ULTRAMID 8281 HS.

I don't have data for the Rhodia product.

In short..if your tank hasn't rippled yet, ensure to relieve any stress by redrilling mounting holes. If you find that fitting the tank is a struggle, then the tank is under stress once bolted up.
-
Lou Jones
Morro Bay, CA,
USA

Premier Member
Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon12 Sep 2011 17:35
Now I'm getting a bit paranoid. When I was doing the fuel connectors and crash bungs, I noticed that the tank was a bit difficult to line up when reinstalling. The front bolt, right behind the steering head was very hard to line up for some reason, so I had to basically take out the rear bolt and accompanying brackets and jiggle things around before finally getting the front bolt to match the hole, albeit with a bit of pressure while putting the bolt in...wonder if my tank is starting to deform a bit...damn.:thumbdown:
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon12 Sep 2011 17:41
Could be the frame warping!? (Just joking - I think folks are getting a little bit OTT on the fuel tank issue)! :grin:
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon12 Sep 2011 17:55
Mine does the same, I don't see what's OTT about reporting a potential safety/cosmetic issue....40

Just another 'lackadaisical, I couldn't care less,lets do nowt, apathetic' response that, now I am living abroad seems indicative of the 'English disease'...........020202
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon12 Sep 2011 18:33
Absolutely nothing wrong with my (12 year old) Daytona's fuel tank :tongueout::tongueout::grin::grin: Perhaps you lot aren't looking after them properly!? :tongueout::grin::grin:
-
fentible
Gateshead,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Speed Triple T509

icon12 Sep 2011 20:46
I recently got hold of an original Triumph workshop manual that covers the T509 and T595. Under section 9.7 it states;

"Ethanol fuel is a mixture of10% ethanol and 90% gasoline and is often described under the names 'gasohol', 'ethanol enhanced', or 'contains ethanol'. This fuel may be used in Triumph motorcycles"

My 99 speed triple tank is perfect aside from the fact that the cowl is a little tricky to fit, my 2001 daytona tank has two small swellings on the lower right edge that you can feel more than see, but like my speed triple continues to fit without forcing.

Go figure

Cheers

Fent
-
andreas
east mids,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon12 Sep 2011 20:54
Has anyone considered that the effect of external forces - sunlight, ambient temperature etc - might relate more to tank distortion than what's contained therein. I spent a number of years in Cyprus - we had many such vehicle problems, particularly concerning non metallic components - air cleaners, ducting and so on - caused simply by direct sunlight and high air temperatures. :grin:
-
Gus Von Gee
Houston,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon12 Sep 2011 21:23
Yeah, it was cooking in my garage last winter... and I don't think it OTT to be concerned about an issue which could consign all T5's to the bin.

If the plastic tanks are deforming, no matter the reason, then they are not fit for purpose.

I remember when the T5 came out that it was claimed in the press that Triumph had to persuade the government to amend the law so that plastic tanks could be used legally on the road. Surely at that stage it would have had to be shown that the materials used would be inert to present and forseeable fuels.
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon12 Sep 2011 23:26
It's a global phenomena... I'd discount climatic causes. Mine sits mostly in a garage, only sees sunlight (and lots of it) when ridden.

The tank material and the manufacturer are the same as for Ducati (Acerbis). It comes down to product design and manufacturer specification (eg wall thickess, no of layers) as to why the Ducati's tend to be affected more (more susceptible to mechanical effects of dimensional changes..ie they fall off the frame mounts etc).

The rippling, blistering and cracking is a secondary effect...the cause is the material expansion combined with being constrained by frame mounts. The ethanol does not directly cause tanks to ripple, warp and split.

So if you want your tank and cowl to survive :-

1) relieve any stresses as much as possible...elongate holes, drill new mounting holes in the frame lugs. These simple changes are completely hidden and the cosmetic consequences of a stressed tank are dire.

2) empty tank before extended storage, especially with ethanol fuels.

It won't be easy finding replacement tanks..don't know what I'm going to do in 20 years time with the old girl. By then carbon fibre replacements may be easily sourced for the vintage market.
-
Frank Jones
Long Island,NY,
USA

Sprint RS (02-05)

icon13 Sep 2011 02:29
andreas:
Absolutely nothing wrong with my (12 year old) Daytona's fuel tank :tongueout::tongueout::grin::grin: Perhaps you lot aren't looking after them properly!? :tongueout::grin::grin:

:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:
-
alx
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon13 Sep 2011 02:52
How do you mistreat a fuel tank?
-
  Next Page
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Fuel Tank Blistering/Warping - A Straw Poll
-