Triumph Torque Logo

Tuesday, 26 September 2017 Register | Login
Next PostPrevious PostTech Posts > Problem Solving > Relays - the definitive guide (I hope)
Info
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Speedmaster

04 Aug 2017 00:31
The extra pin (87A) just hangs in space if it is not needed so I doubt it has anything to do with battery draining.

You may need to check out the numbers next to the connector pins on the base of the relays.

There are 2 layouts for the pins but they will both fit the same base socket and that's where you get into trouble with draining batteries.
The more common "A" type have the power pins 30 & 87 next to each other and the control pins 85 & 86 in the other corner.
The "B" type relays have 30 & 87 top and bottom while the control pins are left and right.
Replace a B type with an A type or vice versa and you get pin 30 which is normally connected to the fuse board hooked instead to one side of the coil. That can leave power trickling away through the relay coil even when everything is switched off. Headlight relays being one that has often caught people out.

Diodes are used on relays that are controlled by the ECU to protect the ECU from spikes. Headlight relays do not need diodes as they are controlled by switches.
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
Next PostPrevious PostTech Posts > Problem Solving > Relays - the definitive guide (I hope)
Start New ThreadForum Jump:
Who's Online?
Guests:54
Members:1
Premiers:0

Triumph Torque
- About Us
- Community Guidelines
- Contact Us
- Statistics
Site Information
- Site Help