Tuesday, 26 September 2017 Register | Login
Next PostTech Posts > Problem Solving > 99 S3 battery drain/relay issue
Info
Virginia,
USA

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

13 Jun 2017 23:12
Hello all.

Im new to the forum and have done some searching for my issue but cant seem to find a match in the past posts. Hoping someone can help.

Anyway, I recently picked up a 1999 Street Triple. The bike runs well. However, I noticed it was killing batteries after sitting for 1 to 2 days.

I just picked up a new battery and took a crack at the electrical system with my Multimeter. With the key off, the bike was drawing 750miliamps. I traced part of the problem down to the IACV, which was drawing about 400milis and getting really hot.

Now, I still have a 300miliamp drain. The main power relay clicks on every time I attach the battery leads. I believe it is continuing to stay hot with the key off. Of course the previous owner did not have any of the original relays in the thing. The main relay had a 5 post relay in.

The 2 purple wires going into the back of the main relay are always hot, regardless of key position, causing the relay to immediately engage. I believe the smaller power wire should be switched, however, my manual appears to have them both tied in together.

Does this sound like a short issue to anyone? Or am I missing something more basic?

Thanks for the help
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
Next PostTech Posts > Problem Solving > 99 S3 battery drain/relay issue
Start New ThreadForum Jump:
Who's Online?
Guests:75
Members:1
Premiers:2

Triumph Torque
- About Us
- Community Guidelines