Triumph Torque Logo

Saturday, 24 February 2018 Register | Login
Next PostPrevious PostTech Posts > Performance Tips & Tricks > front brake master cylinder upgrade?
Info
The drugs do work.,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Street Triple R

09 Mar 2016 18:42
Dave Gough:
I don't remember the exact specs... I think standard is 17 and I put a 19 on (don't quote me on that) but there are loads of spongy front brake threads on here.

OE front master cylinder is 1/4", the common upgrade is to swap it for a 5/8" one (a straight swap, and externally identical to the OE unit). A larger bore master cylinder will give less power (so needing a harder squeeze, as you said), but less lever travel.

I've never understood all the complaints over the years about supposed front brake issues with spongy levers, problems with bleeding etc. Yes, Triumph got the master cylinder ratio wrong on the OE fitment, but on my T509 with a simple swap to the 5/8" unit (which is what it should have been as OE, and is on other bikes that use the same Nissan calipers), two full length braided hoses and a low friction moly disulphide coating on the caliper pistons (£5 each, if I remember right) it bled easily with no fannying about and had a firm, short travel lever action with no sponginess at all (which still feels the same now as it did last time I rode it in 2003).
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
Next PostPrevious PostTech Posts > Performance Tips & Tricks > front brake master cylinder upgrade?
Start New ThreadForum Jump:
Who's Online?
Guests:63
Members:0
Premiers:0

Triumph Torque
- About Us
- Community Guidelines
- Contact Us
- Statistics
Site Information
- Site Help