Triumph Torque Logo

Wednesday, 28 June 2017 Register | Login
Next PostPrevious PostTech Posts > Problem Solving > Fuel Tank Blistering/Warping - A Straw Poll
Info
Sydney,
Australia

Daytona 955i (99-01)

12 Sep 2011 23:26
It's a global phenomena... I'd discount climatic causes. Mine sits mostly in a garage, only sees sunlight (and lots of it) when ridden.

The tank material and the manufacturer are the same as for Ducati (Acerbis). It comes down to product design and manufacturer specification (eg wall thickess, no of layers) as to why the Ducati's tend to be affected more (more susceptible to mechanical effects of dimensional changes..ie they fall off the frame mounts etc).

The rippling, blistering and cracking is a secondary effect...the cause is the material expansion combined with being constrained by frame mounts. The ethanol does not directly cause tanks to ripple, warp and split.

So if you want your tank and cowl to survive :-

1) relieve any stresses as much as possible...elongate holes, drill new mounting holes in the frame lugs. These simple changes are completely hidden and the cosmetic consequences of a stressed tank are dire.

2) empty tank before extended storage, especially with ethanol fuels.

It won't be easy finding replacement tanks..don't know what I'm going to do in 20 years time with the old girl. By then carbon fibre replacements may be easily sourced for the vintage market.
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
Next PostPrevious PostTech Posts > Problem Solving > Fuel Tank Blistering/Warping - A Straw Poll
Start New ThreadForum Jump:
Who's Online?
Guests:60
Members:0
Premiers:4

Triumph Torque
- About Us
- Community Guidelines
- Contact Us
- Statistics
Site Information
- Site Help