Wednesday, 23 July 2014 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > 955i Speedo Drive Fix
Info
Ulm,
Germany

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon15 May 2006 09:16
My Daytona 955i speedo gave up the ghost a few months back, after a week after I had a new front tyre fitted ...

After taking the sensor unit off the bike, I wasn't suprised to find some damage. Most likely caused by poor workmanship re-fitting the wheel.

For those of you who don't know whats inside ... The wheel drives a magnetic circle, engaging it with metal tabs. My wheel had been badly, fitted, and the corresponding tabs in the magnetic circle had broken off.

The magnetic circle was now broken into 4 parts !

I thought I would basically try and glue them back together. But I wasn't sure what glue would work when sticking a magnet back together. Unfortunately, each of the pieces had become magnets in their own right, and did not "stick" to eachother. So I tried cleaning the parts, and using superglue. They appears to be plenty of space between the ring, and the extenal casing, but the ring is supposed to rotate on a shaft, so this clearence is crucial.

I managed to stick the 2 largest pieces together, then the 2 smaller pieces, making sure I got the inner circumference as close as possible to the intended size. After re-greasing the moving parts, I put the unit back on the bike.

So far the fix has worked for the last 800 miles. So I'm hopeful I won't have to buy a new unit.

Its worth a go if yours is broken. A tube of superglue is not very expensive. Just don't stick your fingers together !

-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Skippy
Dunfermline,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon15 May 2006 09:49
Mine just seized. I couldn't free it so had to buy a new one. Same thing, replaced the tyre and they must have let some grit into the housing that buggered it.
-
Bob Southgate
London,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (02-04)

icon15 May 2006 17:28
Same with mine, but I was lucky to notice the speedo wasn't working within a couple of hundred yards of leaving the tyre place. I took it back and they took the wheel off and found the rotating magnet had seized. They were able to free it off. It was greased up, put back together and it is fine now. It seems very sensitive. You'd think the magnet would be available on its own without having to buy the complete drive at £80 a time.
-
dave
wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T509

icon15 May 2006 21:51
£80 quid..bugger I just paid £101.36 f!$%ing quid 13
-
Bob Southgate
London,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (02-04)

icon16 May 2006 17:13
I thought you said they were £86 Kenny? Was that the price before Gordon Brown got his percentage?
-
dave
wiltshire,
United Kingdom

Speed Triple T509

icon16 May 2006 19:09
VAT was added - bastards - lol - kick a man while he's down eh?

Still she's up for sale now..£4,000 cash, less than 6,000 miles new tyres , Fanbazar screen, rack, all green accessory bits, alarmed, speedo drive28, superb legal QUILL, just serviced and early first MOT...got my eye on a lime green kwacker 01

Weird, a Chester Honda dealer told me to sell privately and it was well worth over my asking £4,000 as he didn't like PX'ing30, then a superb North Wales dealer offered me £4,000 against a new Honda24..but saw this Kwacker today on the Wirral and fell in love..but he can't do a part ex as he's full up with stock 30- bummer
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > 955i Speedo Drive Fix
-