Triumph Torque Logo

Thursday, 31 July 2014 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > MIL light on but no fault codes, Speed Triple 955i
Info
Småland,
Sweden

Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon27 Jun 2012 21:25
Hello,

Sometimes when driving the MIL turns on and I get bad responce and a little missfiring.

Today we tried to read the fault codes with TuneECU. It connected OK (I think?). TPS changed when I gave it gas. The problem is that there were no fault codes.

It is possible that I did it wrong, any tips?
What else can I check?

The bike is a Speed Triple 955i -04.

Thanks!
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
Garfield
Småland,
Sweden

icon16 Jul 2012 17:16
No ideas?

The Check Engine light sometimes come on for a couple of seconds and then goes out.

No fault codes.

Another question:
What water temp are you getting? I get 75-80°C when driving normally, 80-100°C when driving slow/standing still. When should the fan run?
-
j p
ma,,
USA

Daytona 955i (02CE, 03)

icon16 Jul 2012 17:39
105c or so..you can change that so it kicks on sooner.

you may have a short someplace causing the
poor response and the mill to flicker.
The faults are stored and then after so many, the mill light comes on and then after 3 heat cycles will reset.
I would start with the wires to the mill light and around the headset-- good luck!!!
-
X-Man
Chesterfield/Derbys,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon16 Jul 2012 19:36
Some MiL faults are transient so don't store codes.
-
Lou Jones
Morro Bay, CA,
USA

Premier Member

icon18 Jul 2012 01:42
Great...not really. I was hoping to find an answer to a similar thing that happened to my bike today. Went out to leave this morning after it sat idle in the garage all night, fired it up, and the MIL light was on. Ran fine, nothing weird, but it kept coming on the next few times I started it. Then, on my last fire-up to bring it home to put on the laptop, it's not on any longer...wtf? No fault codes either.

No flickering, steady as can be when it was on, then it suddenly stays off...any ideas other than the ones posted above? Thanks, all!
-
Garfield
Småland,
Sweden

icon27 Oct 2012 13:19
X-Man:

That is extremely stupid. Why even bother to light up the MIL if you can't read the code? Seems like someone at Triumph or Sagem didn't think this through...

Anyway it seems like you are right. I tried once more to read codes but nothing.

Haven't solved the problem yet but the MIL seems to light up more often when I drive on bumpy roads.
-
X-Man
Chesterfield/Derbys,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon27 Oct 2012 13:37
Look for loose battery connections and loose ECU connections and check all block connectors.
-
Garfield
Småland,
Sweden

icon27 Oct 2012 13:56
X-Man:
Look for loose battery connections and loose ECU connections and check all block connectors.

Thanks! Will do.
-
Terry Colley
Sydney,
Australia

Street Triple

icon28 Oct 2012 07:32
X-Man:

If a monitored condition or state triggers a MIL the code will be stored.

Presumably by transient you mean the ECU will extinguish the MIL by itself (after 3 heat cycles) provided the condition no longer exists. Even then, the condition (DTC) that triggered the MIL is stored in long term memory so it can be read at a later date. Reading this thread it seems as if the MIL is flickering randomly suggesting a fault with the MIL LED itself or an earth fault or perhaps dry joint in the instrument head PCB.
-
X-Man
Chesterfield/Derbys,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon28 Oct 2012 10:53
Nope, sorry, disagree. The MiL does not store all faults and by transient I mean just that. A fault lights the MiL and the fault clears and the MiL goes out and no fault is stored (perhaps because there is not a code to be stored for that fault). It does not take three heat cydles to clear every MiL. That is as I understand it.

/media/file/100362.aspx

transient fault is the one where it is no longer there before the fault count is sufficient to log a fault (MiL is on though)
-
DarrenRyan29
Tyne & Wear,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon28 Oct 2012 11:12
Stupid question but what is a MIL light?
-
X-Man
Chesterfield/Derbys,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon28 Oct 2012 11:22
Malfuntion Indicator Light (yellow light on dash that comes on when you turn on and (hopefully) goes off once the engine starts.
-
DarrenRyan29
Tyne & Wear,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon29 Oct 2012 20:29
Ah ok...engine management light thing, yeah mine works as it should
-
Chris S
Effingham,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Sprint ST (05->)

icon29 Oct 2012 22:33
I'm with the battery connections thing, as X-man said, or possibly a battery about to die giving very low cranking voltages in Lou's case.:thumbup:
-
Garfield
Småland,
Sweden

icon30 Oct 2012 19:25
Checked the battery connections and the B+ was actually a bit loose. Never had any battery related issues though, cranking etc was fine.

Anyway, I cross my fingers and hope it was that easy. Probably won't find out until spring when I can take it for a drive.
-
Red Monkey
Swinging in a tyre,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon30 Oct 2012 20:50
Garfield:
Hello,

Sometimes when driving the MIL turns on and I get bad responce and a little misfiring.

Today we tried to read the fault codes with TuneECU. It connected OK (I think?). TPS changed when I gave it gas. The problem is that there were no fault codes.

My bike started doing this on the way back from Scotland, especially on a constant throttle on motorways: it would 'miss', cough the MIL would come on and within the space of less than a second it would all pass and there would be no code stored. A few weeks later it died completely - the battery died suddenly (but not unexpectedly) and it also triggered fault codes for the coils which may or may not be correct - I suspect that the dying battery failed to deliver sufficient charge to the ignition system triggering the code.

So, in summary.....look to your battery first, then the coils which are maybe breaking down sporadically under prolonged constant load.
-
Garfield
Småland,
Sweden

icon01 May 2013 20:22
Late update, but finally the winter have left Sweden. No MIL light visible so the battery connection was most likely the problem.
-
Riggsy
Maidenhead/Cov,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (02)

icon04 May 2013 12:19
Garfield:

Another question:
What water temp are you getting? I get 75-80°C when driving normally, 80-100°C when driving slow/standing still. When should the fan run?

Fan on at 104C
Fan off at 100C

I think:thumbup:
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > MIL light on but no fault codes, Speed Triple 955i
-