Triumph Torque Logo

Saturday, 25 October 2014 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Steering Lock jammed.
Info
NYC,
USA

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

icon21 Mar 2012 00:52
Hello everybody.

I have Triumph Speed Triple 955i 2001. The bike was knocked over onto its side, while it was parked on the street. As a result, the steering lock that was engaged when the bike was parked, got jammed.

I can turn the key to Parking lights, and they light up, but I can not turn the key towards the ignition to unlock the steering and to start up the bike.

Bike is stranded on the street for the night, I'm hoping to find answers for tomorrow, as calling a tow truck will be pretty expensive.

Thank you for any input.
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
pwalo
Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon21 Mar 2012 01:01
it has bent the lock pin or damaged the levers in the barrel .... case of taking the ign barrel off the yoke (if the security shear bolts are in place it's a case of precise hammer and skinny drift technique. You could try giving the bars a jolt in opposite direction or having a waggle of the key whilst a friend waggles the bars ..... might be just enough to get the steering lock off.
-
Vulfy
NYC,
USA

icon21 Mar 2012 03:12
I tried twisting the bars as I turned the key, it did allow a bit more movement, but I was unable to completely unlock the mechanism.

My concern is the key itself. I do not want to put so much torque on it that it breaks or twists or jams in the ignition. I only have one key, and causing more damage as well as loosing the only key to the bike is something that I do not want to do.

I will try to move it a bit more tomorrow.

I can see the pin underneath, and can even sort of push it in, but it doesn't go all the way in, to unlock the steering. Will bring a longer screwdriver to try and lever it.

Any other suggestions?

what is a "hammer and skinny drift technique"?
-
pwalo
Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon21 Mar 2012 03:23
a long thin chisel to drive into the bolt and then knock it undone.

can't find a ubend vid so i'll make a vid tomorrow and post a link...... don't force the key and be careful of forcing the pin as you could break the lock off the top yoke.
-
Vulfy
NYC,
USA

icon21 Mar 2012 03:32
Ahh, I understand now. Will try it tomorrow, thanks.
-
pwalo
Yorkshire,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (99-01)

icon21 Mar 2012 03:37
the heads of the two bolts that secure the ignition barrel to the yoke are sheared off when they are tightened to prevent theft so it's the only easy (haha) way to get them out.
-
NextRSSPreviousTech Forums > Problem Solving > Steering Lock jammed.
-