Tuesday, 16 September 2014 Register | Login

Message Board

NextRSSPreviousSports Range Forums > Daytona T595/955i > Steering Dampers
Info
Norwich,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon06 May 2010 12:58
Has anyone fitted a steering damper to t595 or daytona 955i ? If so which one? Is it worth it?
-
Advertisement
Remove adverts by upgrading to a premier account
-
ST
Surrey Heath,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon06 May 2010 13:05
rarely seen - if so, usually trying to address a problem best solved in other ways. 49
-
~EARL~
gods country wales,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Enthusiast

icon06 May 2010 13:08
mine rarely shakes its head, sort the suspension first :thumbup::thumbup:
-
a_morti
Portsmouth,
United Kingdom

Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon06 May 2010 16:35
If you're getting headshakes, check your steering bearings. Dampers are nice bling but rarely needed. I sold one off a 16" front wheel fireblade as it just wasn't needed, not at road riding speeds and commitment levels.
-
JoHNY
Edinburgh,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (04-06)

icon06 May 2010 16:40
~EARL~:
sort the suspension first

Sound advice.

I did have one for a while and unless you buy a really good one (costly), it's a waste of time IMO. I took mine off in the end as it didn't really make much difference it just impeded stationary turning
-
Blizzard
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon06 May 2010 18:46
Quote:
Is it worth it?

In a word no. They are pretty stable, so if you have stability issues then a damper will only mask the issue
-
J-Zeus
London,
United Kingdom

Premier Member
Daytona 955i (99-01)

icon06 May 2010 20:00
Indeed....
-
Blizzard
Coventry,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon06 May 2010 20:34
Even the 1050 S3 which is pretty flighty is perfectly OK without a damper
-
Scottie
Hertfordshire,
United Kingdom

Daytona T595

icon06 May 2010 21:17
Not needed, as above check your head bearings.
-
Adam Flynn
South Australia,
Australia

Daytona T595

icon07 May 2010 02:57
Well you are all slow riders. Mine gets wobbles from all the raw power. Or because I only weigh 52kgs it thinks a kid is on the bike.

I just got a brand new Ohlins to fit under my bottom triple clamp. Delivered to the door for a small 3 hungie. Cheap as, my mate is pissed off as he paid 1000 sucker. You need one the same size as the GSXR1000 2002. It is the SD001 from Ohlins. I can get more of them.

Bikes do need them. I do not care what anyone else thinks. They need them or they would not come out to this day on bikes from factory. I rode a mates bike with one the without. It needs them badly. Especially if you like to red line each and every gear like I do. Just cant help it officer:smirk: I swear

Also my little race bike needed one as it would get speed wobbles.

It pays to be safe when riding a bike. No second chances. Where a damper could be all that is needed to save your life.

Before you all say there is someting wrong with the bike. I have been over this before on this site and the bike and everyone I know. I have changed the front rim, wheels bearing, tyre, adjusted headstem bearings and all ends up with a small wobble. Can feel it follow the roads uneven surface when wheel is lightly touching the ground.

RaceComp said this is normal and he likes the feel but f$&k that. I like to be soild and be able to through the bike around like a rag doll and feel comfortable.

Everyone to there own but if you buy a new Daytona you get a steering damper. Same as Ducati, GSXR, Honda etc. Why would they make them if you can design a bike that did not need one. Would be best you make all bikes in the worl like the T595 as they do not need them. They even have electronic ones now for you peeps that are till from the dark ages. :lol:
-
Martin R
09 S3 1050,
Finland

Speed Triple 1050

icon07 May 2010 07:02
Adam Flynn:
Everyone to there own but if you buy a new Daytona you get a steering damper. Same as Ducati, GSXR, Honda etc. Why would they make them if you can design a bike that did not need one.

Because modern bikes have much steeper geometry to aid in quicker turn-in. And firmer suspension. And frames that do not flex like the Triumph item. Triumph big triples are not modern bikes as far as geometry goes - Trumpets are similar to what sportsbikes were in the early nineties.

Quote:
Would be best you make all bikes in the worl like the T595 as they do not need them.

Stability would improve with the lazy geometry, sure. And turning would slow way down, which is not the fashion of the day. Soft frames & suspension would not probably sell too well today either.

That being said, I wouldn't mind trying a damper either. Don't really need one as the small waggles seem to settle on their own very quick. But I'm out of things to tinker with so might as well do a few bling-only mods.

Are you sure one needs the SD001? Andreani Group seems to recommend the shorter SD000 at least for 1050.
-
adam919
west flanders,
Belgium

Daytona 955i (02)

icon07 May 2010 14:40
daytona doesn't need a steering damper, there is little headshake on the bike, even if you get "hard" on it. Little wobble stabilises by itselfes.

my 2cts:smirk:
-
X-Man
Chesterfield/Derbys,
United Kingdom

Enthusiast

icon07 May 2010 15:01
unless you jack up the rear and fit a 190/55 tyre to make it turn in properly...then you will suffer on bad roads quite badly.....
-
NQ Sonic
Michigan,
USA

Speed Triple 955i (99-01)

icon08 May 2010 16:05
I have a Ducati unit that I made a custom mount for on my S3. I had gotten used to the shake, but I much prefer the dampened handling I have now. The biggest difference I noticed was in aggressive "S" style turns. Without the damper, the bike got very shaky making the transfer from a left to a right or vice versa.
-
Nige
Tuesday so must be,
Belgium

Premier Member
Speed Triple 955i (02-04)

icon08 May 2010 18:32
Head Shakes ......... all part of the fun IMHO.

You'll also note that the replies from the posters above were generally in an answer to a question regarding the advisability of installing a steering damper on a 99-01 Daytona, not a late-model Honyamwakazuki, nor a race bike ......... :smirk::smirk:

Adam Flynn:
Or because I only weigh 52kgs it thinks a kid is on the bike.
....... if you weigh only 52kg and ride a Daytona I suggest you eat more pies ........ :tongueout::tongueout:

Adam Flynn:
Bikes do need them. I do not care what anyone else thinks. They need them or they would not come out to this day on bikes from factory. I rode a mates bike with one the without. It needs them badly.
I'm sure we can all think of certain bike models that DUE TO DESIGN ERRORS (TL1000S anyone?) needed a steering damper to prevent the rider killing himself ............ the difference here when talking about a Daytona IMHO was that first and foremost the basic geometry was right and second of all the bike was designed to be a fast cruiser rather than an out-and-out sportsbike, even though Triumph originally tried to market it as a sportsbike.
-
Martin R
09 S3 1050,
Finland

Speed Triple 1050

icon08 May 2010 20:38
NQ Sonic:
I have a Ducati unit that I made a custom mount for on my S3.

Interesting setup. What did you use for the frame side mounting bolts?

1050 only has one tiny 6mm thread in front of the fuel tank, and that looks like it will rip right off on a tankslapper.

http://www.triumphtorque.com/media/file/...
-
speed3racer
Hemel Hempstead,
United Kingdom

Sprint ST (02-04)

icon09 May 2010 00:53

The pink one you say?

Can't see the tank???

:tongueout:
-
Adam Flynn
South Australia,
Australia

Daytona T595

icon10 May 2010 01:57
Martin R the SD000 is 63mm stroke and the SD001 is 68mm stroke. So it is only 5mm longer but has a smaller min lenght which helps.
Plus this is the only size one I can get at the great price. They do not have any other size but this one which is lucky for me.
I used a standard one of a GSXR1000 02 to see if it would fit before fitting the Ohlins. The Ohlins is the replacement one for the GSXR1000 02

The Öhlins Steering Damper comes in different
lengths and strokes:
Stroke
(mm)
Min. Length
(mm)
Max. Length
(mm)
SD 000 63 36.5 223.5
SD 001 68 34.5 231.5
SD 002 90 34.5 275.5
SD 003 120 34.5 335.5
SD 004 140 34.5 375.5
SD 005 150 36.5 397.5
-
NQ Sonic
Michigan,
USA

icon10 May 2010 02:01
Martin R:
NQ Sonic:
I have a Ducati unit that I made a custom mount for on my S3.

Interesting setup. What did you use for the frame side mounting bolts?

1050 only has one tiny 6mm thread in front of the fuel tank, and that looks like it will rip right off on a tankslapper.

Actually, it's mounted using a 1 1/2 muffler clamp around the frame. No drilling required. Total cost of that project was $70 US if you can believe it. The damper I got off ebay at a point when no one was looking for a stock Ducati Ohlin, so it only cost $20.

rockfordfuc_wit:

The pink one you say?

Can't see the tank???

:tongueout:

No, the pink one is a rock solid handler:thumbup: The kid's off the trainers now and has learned how to skid so it needs new rear rubber:grin:
-
Adam Flynn
South Australia,
Australia

Daytona T595

icon10 May 2010 03:18
I bet the frame will not like the clamp on it after time.

Should mount under the bottom triple clamp. That is where mine is hiding.
-
NQ Sonic
Michigan,
USA

icon10 May 2010 12:14
I was worried about the frame when I originally mounted it, but it's held up well. That setup is 3 years old now and the powdercoating is still intact on the frame.

I've never seen one mounted to the bottom of the clamp on our year bikes. Do you have any photos?
-
Adam Flynn
South Australia,
Australia

Daytona T595

icon11 May 2010 02:48
Not at the moment as pulling the motor out to fix the gear drum selector:angry:

I have used a 45mm clamp around the fork and made a mount to go from radiator mounts to middle of damper. Simple.

As soon as I get it back together I will be posting pics of it and the new front carbon fender from Sidmarx.

Can not wait as it is going to be like a dream.
-
NQ Sonic
Michigan,
USA

icon11 May 2010 11:47
Uh oh, starting down the CF road. It's addictive my friend! It's tough to see in my crappy pics, but that S3 has carbon: Front fender, rear hugger, solo seat cover, tank cover, guage cover, flyscreen, alternator cover, swingarm cover and heelguards. And all I originally wanted was a CF flyscreen!

Looking forward to the pics.
-
NextRSSPreviousSports Range Forums > Daytona T595/955i > Steering Dampers
-